Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mammut Winter 2006/07

Poster: A snowHead
New winter collection has arrived today. I don't really get bowled over by clothing. But this stuff looks and is the business. Seamless. Little Angel
latest report
 brian
brian
SMALLZOOKEEPER, what price can you do me on a Barryvox ? Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, You mean the Pulse? Little Angel
snow conditions
 brian
brian
SMALLZOOKEEPER, not sure about that, I think I'd rather they keep digging me out even if it's stopped !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I think he was wondering if you offer discounts...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro, 10% off everything for snowHead .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, what sort of discount do I get? If I send all my guests your way?? You can PM me if you like...better still, can we meet face to face at last? we'll be in town next weekend and we could have a beer if you like. I'll buy...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Got any links to any of the new stuff? (God I really can't afford it but I can't help myself!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Seamless. Little Angel

RF seal?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Looks like a trip to Chamonix is getting more and more pressing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'm probably in Chamonix at the weekend. And it's not like I "need" a new jacket. But there's no harm at all in looking. Is there? Is there? Where do I go head to...?

Could I ask how much the Pulse is BTW and what your impressions are?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SZK...I've sent you a PM.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PhillipStanton, Pulse is by far the greatest product in it's line. It will blow the market appart. Given that your chances, after between 12-20mins, of finding someone alive are nearly zero, the pulse helps in every way possible during those important 12 or so minutes.
Easy to use, clear and precise.

349€
There is listed a version EUROPE and a version USA, i think this just with regards shipping, but i'll give you the lowdown when it arrives.
Little Angel
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spamonix, thank you for your seamless information.

Please keep us fully informed of everything that arrives in the shop .... particularly .... 2006/7 fashion developments in .... errr .... tinned meat?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
For those unfamiliar with the new features in the Barryvox Pulse (sold by Mammut):

Quote:
However, the Barryvox has two other features worthy of note that are unique. One is undeniably great and should eventually be adopted by other companies. The other feature is slightly creepy. The great feature is that Pulse transceivers that are in search mode communicate with each other. If three searchers are looking for three victims, the devices will help keep them from all accidentally focusing on the same person, ignoring the others. It’s logical to think that this feature will eventually be adopted by other companies.

The chilling feature is that the Pulse has a very sensitive motion detector, activated after the transceiver has been relatively motionless for a period of time. It’s sensitive enough to pick up a heart beat or respiration. A searcher looking at his own Pulse will know whether the victim he’s looking for is still showing vital signs. If two victims are buried and only one appears to have a pulse or respiration, it will normally make sense to search for the victim with the better chance of survival first. It’s probably good information to have; triage is a necessity in an emergency. But it’s not an exaggeration to say that everyone I spoke with about the Barryvox Pulse thought it would lead to tough dilemmas—ones they weren’t sure they’d ever want to face.
latest report
David Goldsmith, Rather synical David. You know of a better product than the pulse? I inform all i can, as i see fit. Would you prefer i gave product advice about poor product or stuff i haven't seen or tested?
You make life difficult on here sometimes.

Little Angel
snow report
 brian
brian
David Goldsmith, a review of some equipment in a forum entitled "equipment reviews" is not spam.

Endless amounts of shite about ts and cs WHICH ARE NOT GOING TO CHANGE most probably is. Little Angel
snow report
Just tried on my kit to see if I can justify any new stuff this year..... How flipping sad is that...???
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER I'm looking to buy a transciever before the season starts, and the Pulse caught my eye on the pistehors.com review. If there is enough interest from snowHeads do you think you might be able to do a special deal for a group purchase?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Keep posting - some of us like to read informed stuff. I don't know anything about most of what you sell - I find it INTERESTING.
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Keep posting - some of us like to read informed stuff. I don't know anything about most of what you sell - I find it INTERESTING.

My thoughts exactly. Informed advice about essential ski kit is one of the most valuable things about snowHeads. The fact that advice can come from people who also sell the kit is entirely irrelevant. There are enough informed skiers on this site that anyone who gives poor advice because they have a commercial interest will soon get caught out.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER I'm looking to buy a transciever before the season starts, and the Pulse caught my eye on the pistehors.com review.

From what I have seen SZK has been on the money with his comments about the Pulse. The S1 still seems some way off and I don't think it will be as usuable and it will be more expensive. Here are the two PH.com reviews to save you hunting although they are easy to find on Google. I hope this isn't seen as spamming Shocked Well I don't get paid anything if people buy the Pulse.

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Mammut-Pulse

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/a-bevvy-of-avalanche-beacons/

Mammut is looking to license the communications protocol, but this will be at a cost to other manufacturers so will probably only happen if the Pulse is a big hit.

I can see the Pulse being popular with some guides/ski schools that focus on off-piste. Here they can equip all their clients with the same beacon and take advantage of the intercommunication features and the ease of use will be a big plus. May ween them off their trusty F1s. 349 E isn't much more than the current crop of digital beacons.

I'm assured by the Ascom engineers that it won't actually detect your heartbeat or pulse, just body movement such as breathing.

I would apply the usual caveats about buying any newly introduced piece of kit.
latest report
davidof,

Interesting reading. I'm not sure I like the sound of the bootable issue.... it will be interesting to see in the field.
snow report
davidof, thanks for this info. Most helpful.
snow conditions
There is another short review over at Ttips.

http://www.telemarktips.com/TeleNews75.html
ski holidays
brian, Laughing
latest report
Sure, brian's point was well put. I was only having a pop at spamonix for fun, and to see how he reacted.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
I was only having a pop at spamonix for fun, and to see how he reacted.

Why on earth would you wish to see how he reacted to a provocative post? Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, there are two reasons:

1. Shopkeepers value nothing more than editorial publicity. Normally it's generated by others!
2. However good electronic transceivers may be, I've seen no evidence that they are quicker than avalanche cords in quickly locating buried skiers. So I think enthusiasm for improvements in their design or effectiveness can be overstated.

Avalanche cords are a separate subject, so I'll open a thread on them shortly.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't spoil his fun, these two are often at each other and both make good points mostly.

And both can look after themselves....
snow conditions
Quote:

And both can look after themselves....
Well said JT
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not so sure about that. Somebody told me he wrestles with gorrillas.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith,

Well, I thought that was funny..Laughing
snow report
David Goldsmith, And eats GOLDFISH for breakfast. Twisted Evil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy