Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon Scramblers....Have I bought the right skis??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowheads,

I'm a newly registered intermediate skier who skis on/off piste in 70/30 ratio. On impulse in this year's Snow and Rock sale I bought some Salomon Scrambler Pilot 8s in 165cm for £249 and I am having serious second thoughts. I'm looking for as verstaile a ski as possible but am afraid that these ski's won't provide stability at speed (as they are too short?), good on-piste carving performance, or sufficient float when off-piste. Snow and Rock have offered me a credit note in exchange but this will mean waiting until next season and paying full whack. Having read a few reviews I am considering testing some K2 Apache crossfire's but snowheads generally consider this ski to be sluggish and unresponsive on-piste and perhaps a bit stiff for my liking (I'm not that aggressive yet!). If i try the K2s do I need the 174 cm and will this make my amateurish short-medium carves difficult?

In short I'm looking for a ski on which I can continue to improve and venture off-piste occasionally. Are the Salomons unsuitable, and if so, which ski's should I test instead and at what lengths? I am 6' tall and weigh 12 stone. I am also wary that this is my first entry into snowheads and I'm already asking difficult questions!

Thanks in advance

James
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rizzonland30, Hello. The skis are now yours, test them and see! I think you could have done better, depends how often you'll go skiing and why. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rizzonland30, welcome to snowHead !
I wouldn't consider the Scrambler 8 as a particularly good off-piste ski, and I think you have gone a little short.

If you take a look on the snowbase (top of the screen under the picture) you'll see a ski review section. In there you'll find reviews of some skis that we tested recently in Castleford. It may give you ideas for others to test.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I ski approx 7-8 weeks / year mainly on piste at the moment although I'm hoping to use more of the mountain this year. I don't do moguls if avoid it!

Thnaks for the quick responses already!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi James,

Welcome.

As a caveat that I haven't seen you ski, 165 for a 6' guy sounds a little short for me. I'd say at least 170 or 174/175/176.

My 2p's worth, for a 70/30 ratio have a look at the Head iXRC800 or the Nordica Hot Rod Eliminator. Both of these will give good high speed stability on the edges, and cope admirably well in the deep fluffy or cruddy stuff. The Head will be slightly more at home on the piste, the Nordica has a slightly wider width underfoot for off piste.

And feel free to ask difficult questions, I'm sure many will reply with difficult answers.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rizzonland30, Ski on them... they are a little short, but £249 is very cheap. They'll be good for piste and carving, not so good for o/p. But (at that price) you can afford to hire some phatties for the soft stuff, and get some lessons to keep improving. snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I forgot to mention, the sales rep offered me a direct swap for a set of 172cm Scrambler Customs with s810 bindings? would they be better?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rizzonland30, hmmm, you bought a pair of skis cos they were cheap (they couldn't sell them in season?) and now you're being offered a "free" swap? I think you've learned a lesson (or at least I hope you have...)

I didn't like them, but then I'm particular. Ski on em. If you don't like them? E-bay them.

Then buy your next skis in resort AFTER skiing them in all the conditions you think matter.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fair one. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rizzonland30, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I'm no ski-ing expert but ski-ing on them would answer your question! If they turn out to be wrong then treat it as a learning experience and flog them on ebay...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rizzonland30,

I don't know the ski but pulled this review from http://www.techsupportforskiers.com for 2006 skis

Scrambler Hot
Replaces the Scream 10 Hot. Deeper sidecut, tighter radius, more versatility. The buzz at the test venues was that Salomon was showing the greatest improvement as a line and the Hot is a prime example of the brand's improvements. "Quick, easy and fun," wrote one of our lead skiers. It does respond best to honed carving input, but can be skied with a softer edge. This is definitely a "high edge angle ski," but is also at home off-piste in anything short of big mountain free riding or bottomless powder. At 158, qualifies as an all mountain carver.

It seems to me that this ski may also help you on your forays in soft and helpful snow ... so it might be worth investigating a swap.

You should make sure that the skis are the vintage the reviews refer to ..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, the Scrambler 8 and Scrambler Series are quite a bit different to the Hot.
It's like comparing a 318 a 320 and an M3.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, I was thinking exactly the same thing ....................... Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I appreciate many of the ... you should try the ski first comments, but having realised that the skis may not be ideal I am still in a position to bail out and start again. I don't mind waiting until next season and use the credit voucherto buy new skis from s&r; or I take my chances on e-bay! So far the nordica hot rod eliminator is looking favourite for a trial this winter.

Thanks for the input...

James
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat, Smokin Joe,

Opps, my mistake, I misread Custom for Hot....

rizzonland30, Don't take my advice on Salamon skis.... Laughing Laughing
snow report
rizzonland30, hot rods are very good skis.
snow report
Well lets put it this way.

The Scrambler series is being dropped for 06/07.

I know it's an indoor test, but the Hot Rod Eliminator will be available to test at the Ellis-Brigham ski tests at the indoor snowdomes next month!

I'd take the credit note or eBay them now. If for nothing else 165 is too short for you.
snow report
I'm starting to think the same thing.
snow conditions
Took the skis back and now have a credit voucher for a set of this season's skis, thanks for the advice. I'll definitely try b4 I buy next time.

James
snow report
I bought some scrambler hots on impulse in the sale for £300 and they're exactly what i want from a pair of skis. Go everywhere, do everything, loving every minute of it along the way too.
latest report
When I skied the Rockies a bit,,, last year, I spent half a day on a pair of Scramblers, and the 2nd half of the day on a pair of 1080's, from the Salomon Demo Dome. The conditions were continuous fresh snow, over top of packed ungroomed powder, at Sunshine. I rented these ski's for that day because my 9s's just did not have the flotation needed. The 1080 Pocket Rockets were a blast in 18" of fresh. But that is not what I typically get to ski at home.

I loved both ski's and when I came back, I bought a pair of the Scramblers, Thinking it was versatile enough for a 75/25piste/offpiste terrain. Wrong !! I used these new Scramblers one day only. And they are now going up for sale. They were just not comfortable or nimble or fast enough on the groomers. But I am equally sure that if I were headed back west,, I could love them all over again.

You will get lots of opinions and results from different skiers,,, but my every day - do it all and look good- teaching ski,, is the Rossi' B2. My only gripe is that it loses it pop faster than it should. And I think mine will be beat after 2 years of continuous skiing (about 65 days per year). But I will continue to use and abuse them in the snow park,,, steeps,, powder,, bumps, until then. I suggest your rent a pair,, see how they feel to you,,, and form your own opinions.
ski ya later,,
Catmandu
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy