Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

USA resort to spend a season with a freeride bias?

Poster: A snowHead
It's getting to that time of year when I must commit to where i'm going to go for the coming season so would be grateful if you guys can help me.
I spent last season skiing Verbier and thoroughly enjoyed myself having a fantastic season, but this season want to try across the pond and am looking for a resort that has at least as much freeride terrain as Veriber. The groomed pistes are of no interest to me so the online piste maps for the resorts aren't helping.
I was thinking of Alta/Snowbird or perhaps Jackson Hole. I know the tram is out at JH this year but what i've gleaned so far makes it sound a very attractive proposition.
If anyone has skied the above and would be willing to offer me a compare of the two would be grateful for any offerings of advice.

Cheers,

RR
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alta/bird, Jackson, Winter Park, Vail.

My choice would be Alta/bird - apart from anything else you have so many ski areas within < 1 hour drive. Jackson is also a 5 hour drive away, so that is very do-able for a weekend trip (or longer)

Vail has the back bowls, and Blue Sky Basin, and again, a lot of resorts within easy driving distances.

The other option is to head for Tahoe/Mammoth area. (I haven't been there yet, but ask me again in April...)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can compare resorts quite easily by acreage as basically everything inbounds will be skiable. Unless you're going somewhere that's quite big standalone it makes sense to base yourself where there are a number of resorts in the area so you get variety. I don't know specifically what you mean by freeride terrain but if you mean cliffs & trees you can do worse than places like Squaw & Kirkwood though I'd thing an Alta/Bird season pass would be a pretty good bet - just don't expect to be alone at weekends.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In my experience of skiing the States nothing remotely compares with the scale and plunge of places like Verbier, Chamonix, La Grave, St Anton etc.

The Rockies can offer you some bursts of steep/deep skiing, but not the epic off-piste runs. Snowbird and Alta had the best ski terrain I tried. Vail's back bowls looked quite mellow (they were not skiable when I was there). Jackson Hole seems to be quite a draw, but I've not skied it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I guess I could hire a car for the odd few days but wouldn't want to make a habit of it so will be relying on public transport Sad

Salt Lake City was where I would stay if I did Alta/Snowbird but I wasn't overly impressed with the 2 buses up in the morning and one back. This could be a pain if I were to go backcountry and get back late and miss the bus. Jackson Hole on the other hand has an excellent bus service till late at night from Teton Village to Jackson where I would stay which would be handy.

I see i'm not going to get the vertical etc of the likes of Verbier but what has me drawn to JH is those cliff bands you see on all the ski movies of that area. Does Alta/Snowbird have anything similar?

I'll take a looksee at Kirkwood, Squaw, Vail, Tahoe/Mammoth and see if anything there tickles my fancy.

Thus far i'm leaning towards JH for the cliffs and vertical. Early days yet though, so plenty of time to decide. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rockyrobin, Allegedly hiking down from any of the Canyons is easy... In my limited experience Utah or Jackson is the way to go...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch, I didn't realise the backcountry was easily accessible from Alta/Snowbird inbounds. On their official site there appears to be very little mention of out of bounds sliding Puzzled Made me feel the resort didn't encourage it.

Seems your thinking the same as me. A few people I have spoken to thus far on this also reckon Utah/Jackson would be my best bet.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rockyrobin, Are you not better looking for a resort with some decent shops, given your ability to keep changing ski's ! NehNeh

Or maybe a resort with no shops might be a better option on the wallet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rockyrobin wrote:
Salt Lake City was where I would stay if I did Alta/Snowbird but I wasn't overly impressed with the 2 buses up in the morning and one back.

What? (OK, just checked the RideUTA website, and they are on the summer schedule)

In winter the busses are roughly every 15 minutes.

rockyrobin wrote:
I see i'm not going to get the vertical etc of the likes of Verbier but what has me drawn to JH is those cliff bands you see on all the ski movies of that area. Does Alta/Snowbird have anything similar?

Are you looking to ski chutes or jump liffs?

Devil's Castle, Baldy Chutes, Mineral Basin and Cirque areas have cliffs and chutes. Keyhole has cliffs (never found any chutes there). Also quite a few other cliffs to go off dotted around the place, and things like the Ironing Board.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 24-08-06 8:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rockyrobin wrote:
David Murdoch, I didn't realise the backcountry was easily accessible from Alta/Snowbird inbounds. On their official site there appears to be very little mention of out of bounds sliding Puzzled Made me feel the resort didn't encourage it.

Very easily accessibly, once/if you get tired of the inbounds stuff - top of the Supreme Chair, or head over towards Grizzly Gulch in Alta, for example, but there's plenty of inbounds stuff to track first!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rockyrobin, You know what I think wink. Plus when there's a dump at Alta/Bird (& there's lots of them) they only piste the nursery slopes. Plenty of buses as Foxy says. Plus you can go & see Steve Bagley in Bird & finally get ya boots sorted Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've always fancied Mt Baker and a bit of cruising around the Pacific North West:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49892&highlight=baker+jong

Having said that, Alta/Snowbird and Jackson Hole are the other places which I'd really like to ski.

I assume you've ruled out Canada?

I do think that you're restricting your options in the US if you don't have a car - I'm sure you could pick up a beater and sell it at the end of the season for not much less than you bought it for. Seems a shame not to be able to tour around a bit and US public transport isn't brilliant
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
srobbo, Hehe, i'm a reformed character now you know Wink If I find a pair of skis I really like I stick with them. I love my Gotama's, and the Karma's which arrived yesterday I just know i'm going to like so that's just 2 pairs of skis needed for my quiver. I've probably got less skis than a lot of other snowheads now Smile

Wear The Fox Hat, Thanks for putting me right on the buses and the info on the sliding "off the back". I would like to ski chutes, cliffs, infact everything you can think of off-piste. The more variety the better. Hmmm? This is going to be difficult choosing between JH and SLC now. I'm thinking the answer is to do SLC this year and maybe JH the year after when the trams back up snowHead

spyderjon, I don't think me visiting another boot tech would be a wise idea Wink You'll have to tell me more about SLC and Alta/Snowbird next time I see you. I'll be doing Lion's this Monday coming if you fancy meeting up?

Arno, Yeah, i've ruled out Canada for now as that will come in the future. Don't want to make it too complicated choosing where to go.
I'll do some diggin around with the car situation. This like you say might be the better option. Will have to see what sort of money a serviceable motor goes for before committing myself to the idea but does sound like the right thing to do.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rockyrobin, sorry can't make it on Mon as with it being a Bank Holiday I'm not working in Leeds. Hopefully the following week.

BTW, Sport Conrad are advertising new 168 & 176cm 04/05 Goaties in the flat for 200 euro as they're cosmetic seconds. At bit shorter than your 183 planks but therefore ideal for US tree skiing Cool

http://www.sport-conrad.com/englisch/2A_00_Detail.asp?ArtNummer=70001014
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rockyrobin, it would be worth ingratiating yourself on the TGR forums (or at least lurking there) if you're looking to hook up with good (some are seriously good) skiers over there. it's a little intimidating for the newcomer but i've met a few people off there and they have all been great.

to avoid being jonged:

read the "welcome wagon" thread
don't ask a question without having used the search function extensively beforehand
post some nice skiing pics in your first post
or
post a picture of your sister
wink
ski holidays
spyderjon, No worries mate. I forgot it was a bank holiday so that changes things. Will give you a shout before a week on Monday.
Don't think I can justify another pair of Gotamas as i've already got a spare pair. Anyway they do ski very short so have found the 183's very nimble for a long ski so should be fine on them in the trees at that length. They cannot have many left now as I bought mine a while ago and they were that price then. I'm surprised you haven't gone for a pair yourself mate at that price Wink

Arno, I've been bearing this in mind for a while posting on TGR but wanted to get my stall fully laid out before introducing myself. Would be cool to meet up with some people over there who are like minded. Anyway i'm thick skinned so am not worried about being ravaged by the minions. I can give as good as I take Laughing Perhaps one of the nice young ladies on this forum can help me with a piccy for the "picture of your sister" sweetener? Toofy Grin
latest report
rockyrobin, if you want to spend all your time skiing off the groomers, you'll find ALL the people on TGR are likeminded

i'm considering a StraightlineAdventures camp in Snowbird in January so I'll give you a shout if you end up round there - I'll be wanting a day's warm-up snowHead
snow report
rockyrobin, Where would you stay if you go to SLC ?

The UTA buses are good and can get up the hill better than most cars, but you may want to consider a car for getting around. People don't walk anywhere and the shops are really spread out.
snow report
rjs, if he's in the Sandy/Midvale areas, there are plenty of shops and strip malls around, and reasonable bus services. I've managed a couple of weeks using public transport, and the tram to get into the city centre
ski holidays
I've skied 10 days at Jackson and a weekend at Snowbird, I'd personally pick Jackson, as well as the infamous JH ski resort, there is another resort in the village of Jackson and also Targhee a bus ride away.

I felt the village at Jackson and also the village has a better apres ski atmosphere. I also believe there are some great out of bounds area to be had from Jackson.

This book is very worthwhile to help you find all the unmarked runs and areas.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1575401126/sr=8-1/qid=1156423503/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-7590627-6536802?ie=UTF8&tag=amz07b-21

Cheers,

Greg
latest report
Arno, I'll let you know when i've decided where to go and would be nice to meet you and have a slide. I'm curious about the Straightline Adventures camp. I'll be looking for some tuition myself while out there but having done the Warren Smith thing am wary of taking the more traditional lessons. A friend of mine did the Powder Extreme lessons in Verbier also so that would be ideal if could find something similar in SLC/JH.

rjs, I don't know SLC at all apart from looking on the map where the snowbus goes through town so haven't a clue yet where's best to look at for accommodation. Will probably look for a Condo or something similar.
I really don't mind using public transport, and like you say running a cheap car with inadequate tyres and the hassle of sorting snow chains for it would probably make getting up into resort each day easier by bus. I'll see how we get on after being there for a few days and can always go looking for a car if need be.

gregh, Thanks for the linky to that resort guide. Funnily enough I stumbled upon that book on this forum a few days ago so have already ordered it! I hear what your saying about Jackson. Problem i'm having is my heart says do Jackson, my head says Utah. I'll bear in mind what you say. I've watched a lot of footage of Jackson Hole and it's hard to resist as there's so much fantastic terrain there.

Wear The Fox Hat, You sound like you know SLC pretty well. Can you recommend any areas that I should be looking at for accommodation? Shops are good, though i'm not so sure about the strip joints in the hood. I'll be concentrating on the skiing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
actually just realised you are in Leeds, you could have borrowed my JH book !!

I'm sure whichever resort you choose you will have fun!

The real thing that would put me off staying in SLC is that I've heard stories of mega snow in resort and not being able to get up the Canyon road to it!!

One other thing, what kind of people are staying in each resort, could you hook up with fellow hard core sliders as easily in each resort????

Good luck!

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
rockyrobin, check out www.straightlineadventures.com

to be honest, i'm not sure how much i'll learn in a purely technical sense - i think it'll be more about tactics (ie them telling me to go faster Toofy Grin ). should be fun though - a great opportunity to ski with some awesome skiers
snow conditions
rockyrobin wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, You sound like you know SLC pretty well. Can you recommend any areas that I should be looking at for accommodation? Shops are good, though i'm not so sure about the strip joints in the hood. I'll be concentrating on the skiing Toofy Grin

Sandy or Midvale.

As for strip joints, I don't smoke weed, so can't help you there Wink, but strip malls - a long line of shops facing out onto a car park/road are very common.
latest report
gregh wrote:
The real thing that would put me off staying in SLC is that I've heard stories of mega snow in resort and not being able to get up the Canyon road to it!!

On my few visits there (6 weeks, I think), I've experienced 3 closures of the road. All were late night or early morning. One was due to an accident, and the others were due to snowfall - thankfully on both those occassions I was in resort when they closed the road Smile

It happens, but normally within an hour or so, it will re-open.
snow conditions
gregh, Cheers anyway for the offer to lend me the guide.

I'm not overly worried about the snow keeping us from getting up the road as i'll not be in any rush being there for the season, and anyway I got used to Verbier's high up stuff being shut for anything up to 3 days after a dump so a day missed being in SLC wouldn't concern me too much.

Good point regarding being able to hook up with the harder core crowd. I'm thinking that being in SLC won't be as good as being in Jackson. Sounds like Jackson will have more of a seasonnaires scene whereas SLC is just an american city with the scene being in resorts that I won't be staying in.

Arno, Cheers for the linky. I would love to do something like that when I go over. If I don't do SLC i'm sure there's a similar outfit in Jackson Hole. Hope you have fun when you do your trip, and hope you'll post on here how it went as its always interesting to hear people opinions on their training courses like the one linkied. It sounds very similar to Powder Extreme in Verbier. They take you out in small groups and drag you round all the hot terrain showing you how to attack it and then show you where your going wrong and try to correct you along with a video analysis session on the same terrain.

Wear The Fox Hat, Thanks for the recommendations of areas to look at for accomodation. I don't do weed, just the occasional bottle of wine or the odd bender on the tequila slammers so should be safe. I'm sure I could handle sitting back in a strip bar though once my senses have been dulled Toofy Grin
I was wondering if Alta/Snowbird had a doss hole like the bomb shelter in Verbier? I'm just wondering where the people who get stranded up there stay? I could always get up there before the storm hits and strand myself Twisted Evil
ski holidays
rockyrobin wrote:
I was wondering if Alta/Snowbird had a doss hole like the bomb shelter in Verbier? I'm just wondering where the people who get stranded up there stay? I could always get up there before the storm hits and strand myself Twisted Evil

Well, you start off in the Goldminer's Daughter (Wildcat Base, Alta), and Trainer, Jezza & co will keep serving you till the cops can get up the road to say their licence has expired...
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Sadly there's one thing I NEVER do and that's drink before a possible powder day. Guess I could always just sip lime sodas and try and get some kip before they kick you out so i'm full of beans and raring to get up the hill snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rockyrobin, first lift is 9 or 9.15, so plenty of time to sleep and recover, or for 1m+ of fresh powder to be waiting for you... Wink
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Pfffft! If go on the razzle I doubt i'd get up there for 11! The thought of having an epic day spoilt because of drinking is sacrilage. I can do my drinking in the summer when skiing doesn't get in the way. Anyway I couldn't afford to be drinking out all the time being there for a long time. I'll be more of a staying in with friends having a meal with some cheap plonk from the liquor store.
Hmmm? 1m+ of fresh powder means i'm going to need a snorkel Laughing
ski holidays
rockyrobin wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, from the liquor store.

Definitely need a car then. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:
Hmmm? 1m+ of fresh powder means i'm going to need a snorkel Laughing

Tee hee.

For sidecountry, consider starting at Brighton, working towards Alta.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy