Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot dryers

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm getting my christmas list written nice and early and was trying to decide on something to dry my boots having just bought my first pair Smile. All I've seen so far are little bean bag like things that you "regenerate" by sticking on a radiator or in the microwave or a sort of double pronged hot air dryer with uv light to kill bugs.

Does anyone have views on either of these, the first is about £20, the second £40. I kinda like the idea of not having to plug them in as I need enough adaptors as it is but don't wanna buy the bean bags if they're useless.

Thanks for any views,

Lynsey
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have owned the bean bag types for 4 years or so, they work well, but if a boot is very wet at the top, they tend to only try the bottom foot area.

They are also heavy, which may be a consideration if you are tight on luggage allowances.

Main pro is you don't need to find a power socket!

cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lynseyf, I have a couple of pairs of boot dryes (Therm-ic). They are not the hairdryer kind, just two elements one for each boot.

They work well in resort - but I prefer to remove the liners and let them dry naturally if possible.

The only thing I would say is, if you have an SO who skis wih you - but two sets ! Saves a lot of squabbling.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have the latter type and think they're great -- really effective.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got a pair of the heated element type, and the air blower type. The air blower type does a much better job of boots and gloves in my experience. Can't help with the bean bag type I'm afraid.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lynseyf, I use the bean bag thingies and have found them to be functional, i.e. they do exactly what the claim to do. Not sure about putting any heating device into my boot liners as I have a concern (probably totaly unfounded) that they may effect the custom fit.

What I would recommend though is that to ensure the liners dry properly overnight, take them out of the shells - that way both the liner and the inside of the outer shell gets a chance to dry.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lynseyf, I have the hair dryer type and I reckon it's the bees knees. It's not hot air but slightly warm air so it doesn't affect the custom fit. If it broke, I'd buy another one straightaway - even if it was twice the price!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lynseyf, I did bother with bean bag dryers I just got some large silica gel bags from a packaging company works the same way and cheaper.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For truly low cost, bunched dry newsprint is remarkably effective.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow thanks for all the replys, think I'm swaying towards the plug in type ones Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How secure are the plug in type in the Boot Room, ie how likely is it that they'll still be there in the morning?
Or do you only use them at home, post trip?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The two types of Thermic elecy driers are discounted on S&R's on-line sale from tomorrow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kermit, You have to be very sneaky and put your boots in the boot room when you get in. Later, (not quite in the dead of night - before you've gone out and got drunk enough to forget) you have to creep down, grab your boots and get them up to your bedroom without getting caught Little Angel . That's when you plug them in! Don't suppose they'd last two minutes in a communal boot room! Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kermit, I leave a hand towel in the boot room & then when I return I can dry off the exterior of my boots before taking them to the room. It's never been a problem at any hotel/chalet I've used as long as the outside of your boots are dry before you take them in your room.

You use the warmers/dryers everynight for warm & boots in the morning. Whilst the silica bags do dry the liners they don't warm the boot slightly which makes them easier to get on & flex in to in the morning.

Neither of the Thermic devices are hot enough to bug up heat moulded liners.

BTW, you can also use them in gloves. That why I've got two sets of Thermic warmers wink.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon wrote:
The two types of Thermic elecy driers are discounted on S&R's on-line sale from tomorrow.

Has anyone used both types and which is best - The 2 pronged boot dryer with UV light, or the foot shaped boot warmer type ?

editted to include link: http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/activity/sale/ski/index16.htm

Thanks,

Hairy Boy
ski holidays
Hairy Boy, I've actually got three pairs of the foot shaped warmer/driers, two in 220V & one in 110V for the US. They're less bulky than the hairdryer type, less prone to baggage handler breakage, less expensive & totally silent at night. In resort I don't bother removing the liners & I put the warmers in the boot overnight & they've always been totally dry & warm inside the next morning. Same for my gloves.

My mate has the hairdryer type & it works equally as well but it's half as much again in cost plus it has the other disadvantages I've mentioned.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 28-08-06 11:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Does the boot shaped device blow air, or is it just a heater?
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, No it's just a heater. I tend to put mine in around early evening so they're probably in for about 12 hours. The odd time I've not put them in until about midnight & the boots have still be totally dry & warm in the morning.
snow conditions
spyderjon, thanks.
ski holidays
http://www.peetshoedryer.com/
not yet badged for skiing so still affordable.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Hairy Boy, I've actually got three pairs of the foot shaped warmer/driers, two in 220V & one in 110V for the US. They're less bulky than the hairdryer type, less prone to baggage handler breakage, less expensive & totally silent at night. In resort I don't bother removing the liners & I put the warmers in the boot overnight & they've always been totally dry & warm inside the next morning. Same for my gloves.

My mate has the hairdryer type & it works equally as well but it's half as much again in cost plus it has the other disadvantages I've mentioned.

Thanks spyderjon,

Good info !

Hairy Boy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy