Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jackson Hole

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Looking to use my tescos vouchers to ski Feb half term and need some advice. Have narrowed down possibilities looking at what is in the Virgin brochure (need to use that for the vouchers)

Main question - Is Jackson Hole going to be way beyond my ability? It ticks the boxes for easy travelling and price - but I am terrified by the brochure descriptions of it all being expert.

I can get down most european blacks - (at my own pace - but confess to bottling out of Mont Fort in Verbier!) - but have no experience of non european grading system of black diamonds
Did a bit of (easy) off piste last year (first time in deep powder..... didnt fall over as much by the end of a couple of weeks!)

Will I be able to at least tackle single diamonds in Jackson - or am I better going somewhere else?

Other options are:

Fernie
Whistler
Breckenridge
Lake Tahoe area

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jayne durham, Jackson inbounds is not as extreme as the myth makes out. If you can do Euro blacks, you'll be able to do many of the single blacks there. There's also quite a few blues to play around on, and just up the road is Grand Targhee, which is an intermediates paradise.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks wtfh - we wont have a car so will we be able to get to Grand Targhee - and is it included on lift pass or will we need passes?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jayne durham, not included in the lift pass (as far as I remember), but I think the shuttle bus to it is free. The man to ask is Bob Peters.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
US single blacks can be as easy as Euro reds - often they are just relatively steep groomers. Not been to JH in winter unfortunately but if the runs aren't groomed then it can obviously be a different matter - I've seen single black diamond applied to anything from gentle chutes, powder bowls, heavily gladed runs and steep mogul fields.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks both of you... Who is Bob Peters??

Anyone got any comments on any of the other options?
I'm also trying to weigh up the idea of 3 flights to Jackson (Gatwick; Atlanta: JH) against one flight and a long 4 hour drive the other end to say Lake Tahoe.
Why do they have to be so far away! wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jayne durham,
Personally I think the question is not will I be able to tackle JH's single blacks, but Will I enjoy them?

A large proportion of the ski area which is small by European standards is of single black diamond pitch. If you relish European blacks then you will probably enjoy JH. If you can just 'get down them' I would say there are better areas to go to as you may not enjoy skiing at this level for much of the day. Some of the single blacks I would guess are as steep though shorter than Mnt Fort a lot are easier. As WTFH says much of JH is not extreme or super steep but on the other hand gentle skiing makes up a small proportion of the area.

From memory Targhee is about one and a half hours away and I would not choose to do most of my skiing there if I was based in JH, one trip is great but a three hour round trip most days is not ideal.

Of your other choices the only one I have skied is Whistler. Personally I would guess that it may offer you a better all round ski experience it has the steeps of JH but it also has a lot more easier skiing. With one flight and a relatively short transfer I would guess it is a fair bit easier journey than JH it certainly was for me.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jayne durham, never skied Jackson but if you don't fancy diamonds (double or otherwise) avoid Fernie. The intermediate terrain there is limited. That said, if you're up for pushing your ability it's a fantastic mountain with a great snow record. I'm biased because I loved it - some of the double diamonds off the ridges and through the trees are truly fantastic.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks again - Zammo - I had the same concern about Fernie as I did about JH...and I think you have confirmed it.
T Bar - I must admit I was warming to Whistler as the other major contender...(mind you they had lousy snow last year... but what are the chances of two bad years in succession??)
Will chat to hubby tonight... Think he would probably be more up for JH or Fernie - but I think I would prefer to have a mixture of cruising and the odd challenge rather than whole days on blacks.... I am CERTAINLY not yet at a stage where I "relish" blacks!!

mmmm maybe I ought to just tell him we're going to Whistler.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
errr... Whistler had loads of snow last year (after new year at least). the year before wasn't so good (or at least it wasn't until about a week before i got there Very Happy )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jayne durham,
In terms of terrain Whistler has just as much to offer most skiers as JH so I don't think your hubby will lose out there. The only down side is that being a little closer to the coast the snow may not be as dry on average. There again when I went to JH it rained all the way to the top of the mountain in january Crying or Very sad so there is always a bit of luck involved.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
poor T bar!
Sorry Arno - I must be thinking about the year before.

Do any of you know anything about Heavenly/Lake Tahoe area - It is a bit of a long journey - but the accommodation is sooooo cheap - and it sounds like quite varied skiing too?

Its sooo confusing coz we have only done europe to date. I'm trying to weigh up convenience of flying from Gatwick (for Denver) as we are only 15mins away - against flight changes - and then looking at driving times....oh and then looking at the type of skiing. I hate choosing.... I'm better if someone just tells me where I am going!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jayne durham wrote:
Do any of you know anything about Heavenly/Lake Tahoe area - It is a bit of a long journey - but the accommodation is sooooo cheap - and it sounds like quite varied skiing too?

For convenience of transfer (from San Francisco), the north end of Lake Tahoe would be better than the South (where Heavenly is located). You could think of resorts like Sugar Bowl, Squaw Valley or Alpine Meadows, all of which would suit your requirements for varied skiing. If you had a car (the best way to get from SF anyway) you could think about staying in Truckee (convenient for SF) or Tahoe City (much prettier) and ski at all of the above and more. It's about 3.5 hours from SF.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been to Whistler, JH and Lake Tahoe.

Personally I'd say you would be far better off going to Whistler. It's twice the size of JH, there are far more 'easy' runs, it's great for nightlife and there are lots of accommodation options that are walkable so no need for a car/4x4. Flights are direct as well and the transfer is only about 2 hours (JH usually involves 1-2 connections).

Lake Tahoe would also suit you more for the skiing, although the transfer is a pain and you really want a car so you can visit a few areas.

If you do decide to go to JH PM me because I've got a shedload of info. on JH courtesy of the very helpful Bob Peters.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks again... sitting down with hubbie over the weekend to see what he thinks.
I probably think I'll leave JH and Fernie till I'm a better skier.
Will offer him Whistler for ease or Lake Tahoe area for price.
Laundryman - I'm limited to what is in the Virgin brochure coz I'm using Tesco vouchers.... I think they only have Heavenly - but I'll recheck
Thanks as always for all the info.
I love this site Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy