Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Families billed for failed attempt to rescue skiers

brian
brian
Here's the small print for the Carré Neige ....

http://www.carreneige.com/pdf/garanties-uk.pdf

As far as I can see there's no exclusions relating to poor judgement of avalanche risk Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brian wrote:
Here's the small print for the Carré Neige ....

http://www.carreneige.com/pdf/garanties-uk.pdf

As far as I can see there's no exclusions relating to poor judgement of avalanche risk Puzzled

That's what I understand too.

Note the limits on cover that I mentioned in my post and that are clear in Brian's link. For example if you go to la Rosiere and ski over to la Thuile and have a major accident the S&R provided to carré neige (or its annual equivalane Carte Neige) may not be sufficient. Also what happens if you fall in resort and break you leg? You will need another policy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, thanks. That seems to cover it for Carré Neige. It looks like a must have. What is the difference between Carré Neige and Carte Neige?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles wrote:
brian, thanks. That seems to cover it for Carré Neige. It looks like a must have. What is the difference between Carré Neige and Carte Neige?

I hope you read your insurance policy documents more closely than this thread... Carré Neige - daily insurance sold with liftpass, Carte Niege is the annual equivalent.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
However, it's important to remember that Carte Neige will NOT pay your medical costs! Once off the mountain and in hospital you are reliant on NHS reciprocal cover or your travel insurance, assuming it does actually cover off-piste accidents and isn't going to back out of the deal as above.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I like to use the lift pass insurance in France and assumed most of the time it is Carre Niege. I also have a annual travel policy which I use to cover money and possesions etc, I don't even bother to ask about upgrading it to cover skiing, let alone off-piste. For resorts I don't know I use Fogg or Snowcard and specifically tell them what I want covered. I guess it would be better to get that confirmed in writing. I would not like this cost added to the lift pass unless it would cover the skiing I would be doing. If it covered ALL mountain rescue then I'd gladly pay it but if it included this but excluded that, I'd rather pay for something that actually did what it said on the tin.

My general feeling is that nobody goes looking for an accident and unless it can be proved they were negligent then companies should honour their policies.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
richmond wrote:
I believe that in the 70s or 80s, the Nepali Air Force got so fed up with having to helicopter out injured trekkers who had no means of footing the bill that they would only do so after they had established that they could pay. This meant that some trekkers with relatively minor injuries (broken limbs and so on) were carried for a couple of days, no doubt in pain, which probably served them right. Whether anyone called the air force's bluff by becoming dangerously ill while uninsured I don't know. This policy was made apparent in guide books and at least some brochures, so there was a very good chance that trekkers would know of it, although SKAICR there was no requirement to show adequate funds before being given a trekking visa.

I can say that if you go climbing in Pakistan mountains you MUST pay before the helicopter will take off.... no ifs or buts.. no money no flying....

This was true in 1997 - my brother was killed in Canada in an aircrash that January... his friends watched my parents negotiate to return the body home.... as a result one decided she should take out travel insurance for the FIRST time ever(in many trips overseas climbing).... She promptly fell into crevasse in Pakistan hitting her head repeatedly.... She then lay in a tent for 10 days while her climbing partner walked out to get help... he was unable to get the helicopter to take off as he had not sufficient cash to pay them to do so.... eventually they took off - after taking a photocopy of her travel insurance documents to ensure payment would result!

She finally was lifted out... then checked out by the doctors... and placed on a plane to Melbourne.... on arrival she was taken to hospital and examined by a neuro unit.... who decided as her treatment had been delayed so long they would not do what they would have done if she had arrived earlier.... was a while before she could walk properly... longer before she was well coordinated for regular activity.... skiing/hiking etc took longer again... climbing - longer still....

I'd not want to "dare" the Nepali Air Force by getting dangerously ill... I think insurance might be a safer bet!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT wrote:
For resorts I don't know I use Fogg

Your starter for ten, who underwrites Fogg ski insurance and what do they say about off-piste skiing?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
..I hope you read your insurance policy documents more closely than this thread...

I do.
Quote:
Carré Neige - daily insurance sold with liftpass, Carte Niege is the annual equivalent.

Thanks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
little tiger wrote:
I'd not want to "dare" the Nepali Air Force by getting dangerously ill... I think insurance might be a safer bet!

Me too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof,

Not sure of the significance of the underwriter comment and don't recognise the underwriter on the policy.
I specifically asked Fogg about OP and they said that OP was covered if you acted reasonably and not in an avalanche area....!!!! and heli skiing was covered as long as you didn't jump out of it...assuming the heli must land... Laughing But I have used them outside of France when I haven't been sure if the resort has a lft pass insurance. Engelberg, I know, does have a LP insurance so I will be looking into that.
If in France I use CN.

I can't see me using Fogg though if they talk about avalanche areas...what exact definition is an avalanche area...? A designated area on a map or what...?? anything over a certain pitch...in what weather etc etc etc etc...!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Your on the side of a mountain covered in snow - I'd say that that's an avalanche area (if the insurers so wanted it to be).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT wrote:

I specifically asked Fogg about OP and they said that OP was covered if you acted reasonably and not in an avalanche area....!!!!

One of Fogg's underwriters is CNA Insurance.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skisimon, No doubt about it!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof,

Don't know about CNA but I understand they have been an issue on here.

In France I'm more than happy to go Carre Niege but I need an alternative for the Swiss tour..
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I wonder what the 'CN' in 'CNA' stand for.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
richmond, Continental Assurance Company of North America
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy