Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help choosing flights?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I would appreciatte some help choosing flights!

We decided to do DIY to Austria at feb. half term this year and everything is booked but now all i need is the flights. We are going to Austria and therefore Innsbruck Airport or Salzburg would be ideal. However, looking at innsbruck, it seems that no cheap airlines fly there so that is kind of out of the equation unless it can be cheaper than salzburg. We live in the north east and therefore ideal airports to fly from would be Newcastle or Teesside (Durham Tees Valley). Unfortunately, there are no directt flights to either Salzburg or Innsbruck from either of these airports.

The most logical solution i found was: Newcastle>Stansted with easyjeat (very cheap) and then Stansted>Salzburg with ryanair which is £200p.p. . And then i have the cost of getting to Newcastle and the transfer from Salzburg. To be honest, i expected to be able to fly cheaper than this with cheap airlines. Can anyone offer any alternatives? Im not really that good at browsing and dont know much about flying!

Other expensive alternatives i found were:
Manchester>Salzburg with SkyEurope - £440pp!
Newcastle > Stansted with Easyjet and then Stansted > Munich with Easyjet but the times did not fit.

I dont know if anyone here can help me find a deal? The help would be appreciated very much!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oasis13, try here: http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/flights/Innsbruck/Newcastle/ or here http://www.travelsupermarket.com/

Both will return links to the various airlines (inluding easyjet and ryanair) - you will need to follow the links...

But cheap flights from regional airports at half term? I would expect you really need to book as soon as the routes are released to have a hope of finding those these days I'm afraid. interestingly however, the cheapest deal proposed by cheapflights.co.uk was with BA, presumably through Heathrow or Gatwick...
latest report
 brian
brian
oasis13, BA have started a direct flight from Glasgow to Munich. Might be worth a look as Glasgow doesn't have a Feb half term.

Other possibility is flight only deal with a tour op, I've done this with Inghams . Not the cheapest, but should be less than £440.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
oasis13, I booked Newcatle-Geneva on Sunday 11th Feb (our half term but not most of the N/E) 2 days after the flights came out. It was the only cheap date between the 10th and 18th of Feb. I paid £52 pp, that flight would now cost me £223 pp. Perhaps the moral is to book flights first and then look at accomodation.

We have done Stansted twice recently and from Newcastle it is about a 4.5 hour drive. Parking at the Holiday Inn Express plus a family room for the night was £109.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oasis13, for the last 2 years we've flown to Munich (from LHR) for Austria (bmi, BA or Lufthansa), and shall do again next year, although I fear that the cheapest fares will have gone some months ago (although bmi seem to be offering LHR - MUC £94pp out 17.02.06, back 24.02.06 if you travel lateish - you could always drive down if you had to).

Last year we were late booking and ended up flying to Munich via Schipol on KLM; it stretches the journey a lot, but it was a lot cheaper.

I think frosty the snowman is right; book your flights early, then decide where you're going. We booked flights in March, and have just booked accomodation (I forgot about it); some places were full, but we found what we wanted OK.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 16-08-06 10:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman, definitely. If you're going on a weekend day in holiday time get them the day they come out or preferably sooner.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
oasis13, Have you tried a charter flight search. You should be able to get a direct charter flight to Innsbruck or Salzburg from the North East or from Glasgow or Edinburgh which is not too far from where you are
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jb1970, I cant see the chatrers having any space on half term dates.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks for all the help so far, i will start checking these suggestions out... I know it would have been cheaper earlier on, but i did not expect it to make too much difference! I will know for next year now!

PS - our half term dates are 17.02 - 24.02.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
oasis13, thomsonfly -MANCHESTER TO SALZBURG SAT 17th.: £250pp return
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oasis13, if things get desperate, you could look at travelling out the evening before and coming back the day after (if you see what I mean), staying in an airport hotel or something. Extra expense, but might be cheaper overall.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
oasis13, thomsonfly -MANCHESTER TO SALZBURG SAT 17th.: £250pp return

thanks, could be a better option than flying to Munich...

EDIT: on closer look, the times make it impossible. I cant get to Manchester for a 6.15 flight and i cant fly the day before due to work commitments. Sad Mad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Okay, KLM do Durham Tees Valley To Munich, via Schipol for £220. This is inviting as Durham Tees Valley is on my door step! Final Question: is the best option from Munich to hire a car? I have heard that the airport is no where near the train station. However, i have looked at hertz and europcar and neither of them have centres in the ziller valley where i can drop off the car...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
oasis13, Folks usually keep the car for the week and use it for the return.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, yeah, but that would be a waste of money as i will not need the car when i am there as we are meeting with friends who are driving down from Germany, and their car probably wont even be used.
ski holidays
oasis13, there are frequent S Bahn train services from Munich Airport to Munich Hauptbahnhof and Ostbahnhof, although they're not very fast. We usually hire a car (to drive to Kitzbuhel), and have it parked by the hotel for a week. We have taken the train Munich - Kitzbuhel once (in the summer), and its a bit slow to Kitzbuhel but it may be better to wherever you're going. This year we organised a minibus transfer to Kitzbuhel, which was roughly the same as a week's car hire. Next year, we may take the train from Munich to St Anton, otherwise we'll drive.
snow report
richmond, i have just had a look at www.db.de and there is indeed a direct train from Munich to Mayrhofen - that could work very well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oasis13, I have done this route - long time ago though - and it was great. Very picturesque route through the Ziller Valley stopping at various ski resorts/village stations along the way. If you can spare the time it will be a nice relaxing start/end to your trip snowHead
latest report
Quote:

but that would be a waste of money as i will not need the car when i am there as we are meeting with friends who are driving down from Germany, and their car probably wont even be used.

a one week hire where you pick up and drop off at the same point would probably be cheaper than two separate one-way hires, as these are always expensive. I haven't been to Mayrhofen, but I think you have to travel to the slopes from most accommodation, so you might find a car quite convenient. If all these alternatives are too expensive, you might consider driving all the way, if there are several people to share the driving.
snow report
oasis13, pam w, There are two cable cars up from the village - the Penken and the Ahorn - and they are about 5 mins ski boot walk apart at one end of the village. There is a ski bus running the lenght of the village however, that was very efficient. Depending where you are staying you may/may not get easy car parking. Let me know where and I may know the situation! snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
oasis13, good oh. The trains from MUC to HBF take about 40/45 mins and each of two lines runs about every 20 mins http://www.munich-airport.de/EN/.

I imagine that it will be a fairly slow trip, it certainly is to St Anton, but it ought to be pleasant and cheaper than hiring a car (especially if you can make use of family fares). DBB have a London office and web site www.bahn.co.uk.
snow conditions
Okay, plane is booked from Durham Tees Valley to Munich via Amsterdam for £220pp. Im quite happy with that as it is just as cheap as all the other options but much more convienient. I cant book the trains yet but i will book them as early as possible
Toofy Grin

Thanks for all your help!

Oh, and im not actually staying Mayrhofen, im staying in Zell am Ziller and did not think that a train went there directly from Munich, hence why i typed in Mayrhofen, but it does! And the apartement is in walking distance to the gondola Smile Even with the expensive flight, i still seem to have saved over the TO prices. I have to pay £220 for the flight, £100 for the apartement for the week (its 150 euros per night, and there are seven of us going), about £30 for the train and s-bahn from Munich and another £10 for the taxi from the train station to the apartement. That totals at £360. Obviously, I will need food and all the skiing costs on top of that but its still relatively cheap for peak times!
latest report
 brian
brian
oasis13, I love a happy ending Very Happy
snow report
oasis13, Try not to flush the loo till you are over the sea.
snow report
Worried about those yellow rain showers again Frosty the Snowman?
ski holidays
oasis13, My first ever ski holiday was in Zell am Ziller! Lovely place, but my hotel was right in the centre of town and a good 10 minute bus ride to the gondola, so well done on finding the apartment. If you take a day off skiing, you can get on the train and move up and down the valley to the likes of Mayrhofen. Salzburg is a good day out too, but not sure if it's train-able snowHead . Enjoy!
snow report
Madaboutsnow wrote:
oasis13, My first ever ski holiday was in Zell am Ziller! Lovely place, but my hotel was right in the centre of town and a good 10 minute bus ride to the gondola, so well done on finding the apartment. If you take a day off skiing, you can get on the train and move up and down the valley to the likes of Mayrhofen. Salzburg is a good day out too, but not sure if it's train-able snowHead . Enjoy!

Yeah, i intend to get the super zillertal ski pass and ski in Mayrhofen, possibly on the Hintertux glacier depending on the weather and in Kaltenbach... I've heard the scenery in the Ziller Valley is fantastic, so I cant wait!
snow report
I know it's too late for Oasis but for anyone else Jet2 are flying from leeds/Bradford to Salzburg this winter.

Deb
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
djfletcher, Cheers snowHead
ski holidays
djfletcher,

Wow! Thanks.

Good prices - eg, Leeds - Salzburg 4/3/07 £19, return a week later £29. Inc taxes, £76 return
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy