Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Samoens - a few questions

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone!

Yes, I'm thinking about skiing despite the fact it's August - and so are you if you are reading this now.

I have some questions regarding Samoens at Christmas. Does anyone know of a good restaurant to book for dinner on Christmas day? I need to reserve a place for twelve people and I'm looking for great atmosphere and great food. I love traditional Savoyard dishes but I think my English and Irish cousins are going to be seeking ham & turkey. If anyone has any recommendations, they would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I've been checking out the price of rental equipment for them (none of my cousins have ever skied before) and certain websites claim 40% discount if you book the equipment in advance online. I would prefer waiting until we get to Samoens and renting equipment from a convenient location and not having to pre-book (or prepay) for equipment. But is the discount for real? They are quoting me 68 euro for 6 days (beginner equipment) without the insurance. Is this really a substantial discount? Is there a risk of the online company doing a "bait & switch" where when you get to the shop, they tell you they have no beginner equipment left and you have to pay 100+ euros for the "good" skis (even though you reserved the cheap stuff)? Sorry for my ignorance but I have my own stuff - only the beginners are going to need to rent. If anyone has any recommendations for rental shops, please let me know.

I think we are staying in a Chalet between Morillon and Samoens but we will have a few cars hired so driving to dinner or to a rental shop won't be a problem.

Thanks in advance for your help! I love this forum!

Helen
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Helen - I'm not sure you'll find much turkey and ham unless you cook it yourselves.

I can do you nice traditional restaurant near the square that does traditional Savoyard dishes, but the details are in our apartment in Morzine. I'm out there in a couple of weeks time and will try to remember to send you the details.

PM me if I forget.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, Phillip, if the Irish/English crowd want turkey and ham, they should stay home for Christmas! I'm sure they will manage quite well with the traditional fare.

Thanks again.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
68 euro sounds pretty cheap for a week's ski rental- I wouldn't particularly be worried about rental shops runningout of the bottom of the range kit. If it includes boots its a steal - I reckon on at least 15 euro a day for skis only if I rent
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
irishskier, we spent Christmas in the Alps last year, and I'm afraid Turkey was not featured in the supermarkets and butchers. There's lots of beef and oysters though, as well as duck and goose. Some of the hotels and restaurants do a special menu, but the celebration takes place on Christmas Eve rather than Christmas Day.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
irishskier,

Try ringing "Le Caribou" in Verchaix. It is run by 3 Irish guys who also run "Coveys" Irish bar in Samoens. Their cuisine is not as "Cheesey" as elsewhere and I am pretty sure they will be able to help. Really nice guys too. Verchaix is right next to Morillon about 3-4km from Samoens. They even do "Mini-bus" transfers from Coveys when busy. Other than that you could try "Le Serac" which is run by a lady with very good English. Other good restaurants include "Bois de Lune", "La Lousianne" (although it is a Pizza place - they do other stuff!).

You will get good discounts when in resort at that time of year, Intersport 2000 (near Office de Tourism) usually do 20-30% that time of year. I'm sure others will too.

Hope this helps... PM me if you need more detail on Samoens.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Again Helen

Our personal fave restaurant in Sam is La Table de Fifine - which is half way down on the road from Sherpa Roundabout to Samoens Grand Massif Express Gondola - Chocolate pudding to die for! Second best is Muscade et Basilic, just off the main square. We have our own gear so I'm afraid we can't help on the rental front...

And I agree with stevo_the_saddler, Caribou is yummy and La Lousiane is great too - it's pretty pricey though, to eat out on Christmas day!

Hope to see you in Sam!

Little Angel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Freestyle, Are you another "owner" in Samoens? If so where? Not got around to those two Restaurants yet - are they "Child friendly"?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevo_the_saddler, Yup, got a place next to The Sherpa. We;ve chatted before remember? You've got a place in LFDS right?All French Restaurants seem child friendly to me... Cool
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh - yes, all these user names confuse me!

Sherpa is my "local" like trying out my French in there when ordering my food! Nice people.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd just started asking random Polynesian islanders if they were good at quizzes Confused
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Freestyle, When are you in Samoens? We are there 21-28th Jan as a family, I am with friends 8-12th March, then prob 1st week in April as a family again. Let me know if we cross over, I will buy you an expensive beer in Coveys!!!!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa, And are they?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevo_the_saddler, Thanks - but we don't cross over I'm afraid - we're New Year and Half Term this season! Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Freestyle wrote:
Scarpa, And are they?
The Samoans are currently beating the Tongans. Rough pub that Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Scarpa, Ahh bless. Shocked
snow conditions
Thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate your help!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy