Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North Face - beware!

Poster: A snowHead
I just thought I'd mention that I bought a North Face jacket for my new uniform last year (peeps at the EOSB have seen it). It was expensive, but I was secure in the reputation of North Face as top quality extreme wear. Now the jacket was very warm, very light, and properly waterproof, but I found tears in the fabric at the right hip, and the inner pocket tore away where my lift pass is stashed.

Accordingly I went back to the shop where I bought it (paid full price incidentally). First they tried to deny that I bought it there. then they finally agreed if I brought in the receipt... Anyway they sent the jacket off to North Face and .................... they want 72 euros to repair it!

I AM DISGUSTED - I've only worn it for one season. My two Duvillard jackets both lasted 3 seasons and are still wearable without any of these sorts of problems. I have a 15 euros jacket for summer (OK it's lost most of it's colour) that's lasted 2 summers! Is The North Face taking the pi**? I have written to them via their website and received no reply - is this indicative of their attitude to their (professional) customers?

I've heard of jackets from other manufacturers being repaired without quibble. I really think this is too much. The jacket cost around £300 so it wasn't rubbish.

Furious from France!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doesn't really surprise me -you wear it day in, day out for work whereas the most the regular punter will wear an equivalent jacket is to/from work & at weekends so wear & tear /abrasion is increased.

North Face is more of a fashion brand than it pretends. Trail magazine has a customer satisfaction report on jacket repairs/warranty this month IIRC Mountain Equipment and some others came out quite creditably, North Face, Patagonia & Keela (! for sh shops!) not so good.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski,
Sorry to hear that but I'm not sooo surprised. As Fatbob says, some famous names are less functional than they used to be and are no longer the little hands-on company, they huge multi-nationals...

I have posted about the excellent serivice I got from Eider with a rock tear, or rather rip, where they had to replace the whole panel, and that was self induced, so not wear and tear.

I appeciate your kit would get worn a great deal more than mine but the jacket is coming upto 5 seasons old... and I have hit a few things...Laughing

I was about to get some new stuff...- I don't need it, just fancy a change...but NF would not be one of the companies I'd be looking at. I feel they lost their 'market' a few years ago when they went High St.

72eu via a local shop is not good, I didn't pay that and I had to ship it to France and back.... I think it was £30 inc postage and, as I've said, I crashed into a rock..!!!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 15-08-06 20:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I made my own breathable shell jacket last season because I couln't find a decent one from anybody in my giant panda size, result I get a big jacket that's completely wind and waterproof, (I even put together a fleece inner jacket that can be zipped in), the only thing I messed up slightly was that the hood is slightly out of true, but then I only finished the stiching 2 hours before leaving for my holiday, total cost including the fleece arround £100
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
you made your own jacket Shocked Shocked Thats pretty hardcore
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Edmundh009, Is it ? I just couldnt find anything I liked"
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No doubt that easiski won't want to hear this wink but the Intrawest supplied jackets, trousers & fleeces are DNA (Descent North America), I wear mine 5 or 6 days per week, in all weathers, oil dripped from the cable pulleys etc. and they wear well for 2 seasons with 140 days + per season.

I really really rate the DNA jackets & pants, they have the correct amount of pockets in the correct places, and lots and lots of technical features.

Sorry to hear of your woe with TNF. I like their fleeces and down jackets, but thats about it.

If I were after a technical shell or jacket, I tend to go for Arc'teryx, Mountain Hardware, DNA and possibly Marmot.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never had a problem with TNF, what a shame they have treated you like this. In the last 5 years I have been really impressed with:

trousers - 250-300 full days hard skiing, hiking & impressive falling (from their own brand material too!) retired on fashion grounds, still in good condition
jacket 1 - 200+ days skiing donated to my brother who still wears it, looks great, performs brilliantly
jacket 2 - a "uniform" jacket, mainly used as a 'pub' jacket which has seen some serious abuse, Goretex XCR, still looks fantastic.

And countless items from the 80s and 90s that I wish hadn't gone to the charity shops - have you seen how much the old Steep Tech (et al) stuff is worth now? Collectors go crazy for that stuff!! rolling eyes

Nothing beats an old fashioned letter when it comes to customer service...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
veeeight, If they're part of the same Descente here, it's good stuff I know. I would have been happy to get another Duvillard jacket, but they didn't have the right colour combo for my uniform. I've bought a Sun Valley extreme, goretex jacket to replace the NF one, but have to get it printed with the logo etc. My pal with a family in ski shops (ie all his family have one) says Eider is the best, but Sun Valley is OK??

JT, that's the sort of service i was expecting from a well known make.

parlor, glad you've had better experiences. The jacket itself is fine, but I just think the quality clearly isn't what it ought to be from the company that kits out Everest climbers, and the customer service is cr*p. You're right about old fashioned service - what I always aspire to.

D G Orf, Impressive. Full respect.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The old original Phoenix company repaired the bottoms of my goretex salopettes for free even though the damage was due to cuts from my edges Shocked

Their gear was really good imo, although quite hard to find in the shops. Pity they went tits up Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For what its worth I've had 2 Nike ACG jackets and despite my initial scepticism they have been very well designed and made and always available at a healthy discount . Just goes to show a brand you think would be crap sometimes surprises you.

Last jacket I bought was an ultralight Patagucci shell for £30 - at that price it doesn't have to be hard wearing!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is almost like there is a reluctance with the retailer as well as The North Face. Not good.

We had North Face kit this season at our slope but us girlies went for a girlie North Face jacket as the blokes ones were too big. The softer fabric although XCR gore-tex certainly had wear issues and one girl had her jacket replaced as the fabric was faulty. I've got abrasion wear too and it could probably be replaced too but I'm lazy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
veeeight, my hubby had a Descente jacket that is 12 years old next winter. He has worn it on every skiing holiday until last year, when he bought a Spyder one in Whistler. He still take it with him when we drive though, and uses it to wear when he walks the dog. It is still in one piece. Yoda, we don;t live too far away from the old Phoenix factory. The guy who owned it did start up again, making clothing for group use (ski schools etc). We aquired a couple of pairs of Goretex salopettes, which we sold on ebay as they didn't fit anyone. They were quite good quality, but I can't remember what they were called.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Omega Outdoor http://www.omegaoutdoor.co.uk/index.html
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont, Descente = Top Quality & Durability. Buy Japanese!!! Very Happy
snow report
veeeight, he bought it in a ski sale at a local hotel. He paid £69 for it.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, yes I knew that the Phoenix brand had risen from the ashes as Omega - in fact the last person I saw wearing an Omega outfit was Ali Ross about 10 years ago. Come to think of it he's the only person I ever saw wearing an Omega outfit (Phoenix had sponsored/supplied him proir to that). Omega was even harder to find than Phoenix had been.

We (slope) got some "Phoenix" branded kit a few years back, I think at the time the name was owned by Karrimor. It was made in Portugal and was rubbish compared to the old British made stuff. The salopettes in particular were poorly ftting and fell apart in no time.
ski holidays
Yoda, they don't seem to be making their own stuff anymore though. The stuff made by Karrimor was rubbish. I borrowed some Pheonix kit for my first skiing holiday. Really light, and really warm, and more importantly waterproof (the rain in Flaine).
snow conditions
veeeight, we really need a picture of the Cocoon in the fashion crime thread.
snow report
Yoda wrote:
The old original Phoenix company repaired the bottoms of my goretex salopettes for free even though the damage was due to cuts from my edges Shocked

Their gear was really good imo, although quite hard to find in the shops. Pity they went tits up Sad

I had the same good service from Pheonix. They repaired, free of charge, a goretex jacket. I'd sent it off for a quote, not expecting them to do anything for free because it was well used - it was three or four years old and had seen lots of winter service when skiing and lots of summer service on volcano fieldtrips. Just a week later it was returned to me, fully repaired, with a compliments slip. That's what I call good service. I agree it was a great shame that they went under; I really liked thier skiwear.
snow conditions
I agree absolutely about the original Phoenix. Brilliant stuff. I had/have several items of theirs. Still have a pair of gloves about 15 years old which I lend to beginners in the summer (been repaired too many times to wear in bad weather), and I also have a pair of trousers which are still waterproof. Unfortunately they're a bit short and are also shocking pink! I sometimes wear them under other trousers in really cold weather. If I could dye them I'd still wear them.

I also had very bad service from Nevica BTW, years ago. I've never bought anything from them since, my friend with a ski shop (not here) has never stocked them again, and I warn everyone off the stuff!!!! Of course, my little contribution won't amount to much in the view of North Face, but I shall do everything in my power to reduce their sales from now on!!! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
comprex wrote:
veeeight, we really need a picture of the Cocoon in the fashion crime thread.

I've steered well away from that thread on the basis that I think some of the new school one-piece lookalikes actually look quite trendy!

(I've posted a pic there....)
snow report
well, I have to say that i've had similar experiances with RAB and North Face - to be fair to RAB it was their cheaper down one and my Batura expedition is still holding up well after 5 years!!!!!

Best yet is my £60 Helly Hansen that i got from an outlet store, survives everything!!!!!

A
ski holidays
Had an email today which basically said what the shop had said. They consider it normal wear and tear and will not repair/replace it. I'm replying with this thread! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
I've had excellent repairs done by Paramo...once on a jacket I set fire too (on a camping lantern), and this year on my ski trousers, as a result of crampon damage.

Mrs Skis' jacket (now 7 years old) had a failing zip repaired FOC as it had failed. This was done this summer. snowHead snowHead
snow report
ski, I can do the repairs myself - it's just that I don't see why I should! Was the zip replaced by North Face?
snow report
best jacket i have had is from Beyond X small brand who supply a lot of race teams, lift operators and ski schools, my jacket is made of 600x600 denier cordura, bombproof, weighs a bit but is now 8 years old, used for 2-5 weeks skiing a year, has work several ski tests and gets worn as a winter jacket in the cold months...great kit just hard to get hold of Toofy Grin

oh yes it is starting to show signs of wear...but only slightly
snow conditions
easiski, I would email them again stating that you don't expect a technical mountain jacket to fall apart after 1 years use. It might be also worth stating that the jacket wasn't "fit for purpose" and that the jacket shouldn't be marketed as a technical mountain equipment if it can't last 1 year skiing. Also mention that your are a professional (you should have more influence than a "regular punter") and will not recomend Northface products to people seeking advice on what equipment to buy. You might want to exagerate that a little, eg say you regularly review ski equipment and you will mention the poor customer care in your review.

I hope you get satisfaction.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There has been a lot of debate over North Faces decline in the climbing press and forums. Sad as they used to place functionality above the fashion aspects.
latest report
My goretex is a Burghaus (trango without the chest pockets) which is over 15 yrs old with no defects. And it's had very hard use some years.
snow report
Scarpa,

That was when Berghaus used to be owned by just the two of them... I still have Trango Extreme kit from 92... quite bulky by today's standards but still pretty good nick. They are High St now as well... not the same stuff IMV
ski holidays
davidb, I have, and they knew I was a ski teacher from the start. They now have the link to this thread. Although I didn't use the term "fit for purpose" - I don't know the french equivalent, and it's the french bunch that I'm dealing with.

Scarpa, Yeah - old Berghaus was brilliant stuff - wrong colours for my uniform though, however I highly recomend Henri Duvillard. I've had very good use out of both jackets I've bought, and was wearing the orignial one yesterday. Very Happy

CEM, We see a lot of Beyond X here, I remember we turned it down as a ski school when they started because it wasn't waterproof. The Duvillards are also heavy duty cordura.
ski holidays
easiski,
Quote:

We see a lot of Beyond X here, I remember we turned it down as a ski school when they started because it wasn't waterproof.

never been wet in all the years i have owned it (well ok once but there were people wringing out brand new gore-tex suits that day) Toofy Grin , I just treat it properly with nik wax
snow report
CEM, Our local race club use it + ADH.
ski holidays
Yoda, I still regularly use a Phoenix fleece that I bought in 1992. It was a "windstopper" fleece and works better than the North Face equivalent that I bought two years ago.
latest report
easiski, I have been very happy with my Beyond-X stuff. I have got a suit in cordura and shorts in the lighter weight fabric.

I don't remember getting wet through in it, but may get a long shell jacket to go over the top.
snow report
easiski, It might be better to complain to the american customer care department. As for some reason most companies have much better US customer care and complaint procedures.
http://www.thenorthface.com/na/contact-us-email.html
latest report
davidb, thanks for that. I may just give it a go! Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, Sorry - can't help with your North Face problem, but I have had a Helly Hansen jacket for the past 3 years and found it to be excellent. Not bulky, windproof, warm and waterproof in that no matter how wet the conditions, I have been dry when I've taken the jacket off. Might be a suggestion for alternative/replacement? snowHead
ski holidays
Anniepen, The problem is that I can't just choose I make. It has to be the right design and colour for my uniform. Black with grey or silver stripe around the chest and/or on the sleeves. If I change now, no-one will recognise me. It just so happened that North Face was the right desigin, and I thought I was safe with what was supposed to be a reputable extreme garment company. I now know better!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy