Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott P3 2006 Test

Poster: A snowHead
I took the P3's out for the first time today - Jutta's finally put some bindings on a pair of 168s. (she only had 178s kitted out before) - huh! I really liked them to ski on. Their edge hold was 100x better than the Miss Demenors, and they were solid and stable underfoot. Excellent all -in - all. They aren't very agile edge to edge, but were Ok if you didn't want to turn too much. A slower rhythm was fine with shorter turns. I didn't bother with longer turns, because it was apparent they'd be fine.

Only one grouse - THEY'RE TWIN TIPS (well, of course they are, they're park skis), but as always, while manoevering kids around I kept stepping on my own skis! Sad I had the same problem with the Scratchs. Now if they made them with a less upturned tail, I wouldn't mind a pair.

I've skied a few park skis recently and found that these are definitely well stiffer than any others I've tried. Of course I now hear that they've softened the tip and tail of the 2007 skis ... Sad Sad

BTW it was really icy today too - so they really did have to perform. I think I'm going to take the Fischers back up tomorrow. Confused Confused

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 16-08-06 6:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a pair of the p3s (178). glad to hear you like em. I think you get used to the upturned tail after a couple of days. Of course I suppose when you're an instructor you have to employ appropriate technique and not skid about the place Embarassed

They are reasonably stiff about as stiff as the k2 public enemy, but they do like to turn a good bit more (16m radius in a 178). Do you know where the bindings were mounted. I know there is a mark on the sidewall but I'm pretty sure its not mid-sole. Interesting to hear they made them softer in the tails and tips for next year, I thought it was merely a cosmetic change.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Edmundh009, I'm sure Jutta just put my centre boot to the marked centre ski. I didn't ask her to put the bindings forward (after all I'm not used to it anyway). I may be wrong about the 2007 ski, but that's what I heard and if true would be a shame, but I can see that the P3 might be a bit stiff for the pipe etc. Of course, being vertically challenged I've never had to chance to try the Public Enemy ..... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Unfortunately I hated the tail lift on the Scratchs which I kept for about 18 months - not a new grouse for me I'm afraid..
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, Where did you hear they softened them up for 2007 - none of my research on these has suggested a change and all the specs also seem the same?

I take it you rode the 2006 model with the black topsheet and green base?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski I think you can get the Public Enemy in a 164 though I could be wrong. I did try the Public enemy before I got the p3 and found them alot more work and harder to get on edge but I think that may be a technique issue as one of my friends totally rips it up on them though he does have about 50lbs on me Confused Salomon make shorter twin tips as far as I know though they would be alot softer I know u can get a 161 1080 thruster but I am not sure as to the lengths the foil comes in. Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, sorry, no time to go and search, are the P3 fat? And will Jutta still have the 168 at the PSB?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eng_ch, The 2005 P3s were 76 waist in the 165 (they came in 155, 165, 175 and 185). The 2006 and 2007 (which come in 168, 178 and 185) are 80 mm in the 168cm.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, you can always take a hacksaw to the twin-tip and seal it all with epoxy. I've seen guides do that so they can attach skins more easily. Doubt it makes much difference to performance, especially on hard snow
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My 05/06 scott p3s are 82mm in the waist (178 16m radius. )
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
the dimensions are exactly the same for next years though it is very much a possibility that they have changed the flex in the tips and tails as Easiski has suggested. I really can't rate these skis any more highly.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skibomb, Jutta has them in stock, and she told me that they have shortened the stiffening sheet front and back. I don't think a lot, but a little. She also tells me that two of the top freestylers in France ski on P3s, but this may change if they're softer. Aparently, being stiffer, they give you excellent "ping" out of the pipe? Personally I'm happy never to leave the ground. Shocked You're right - typo in the title line - 2006 ski, quite nice plain graphics.

Arno, I wouldn't go that far..

eng_ch, She's sure to have them to hire for the PSB. I we can get hold of some B3s in the shorter length would they interest you too? While I ws in the shop Stephan Eyraud came in on holiday (he used to live here, and long time freeriders will know his name) - he skis on B3s and says they're great. Mind you: he's a great skier himself so ...

I don't know that I'd buy them - I still prefer the Scott Aztec Pro, but they'd be on the list.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know Laurent Favre skis on P3s and he is not only a big name in France but Worldwide, granted not as much of a big name when compared with Tanner Hall, Pep fujas, Jon Olsson, but a great skeir nonetheless, I think he has a segment in War or Hit list on Dvd. I can't remember who else skis for scott, their website is awful in that it lists everyone who uses any scott product ie goggles. Which means there are just too many names.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Edmundh009, yes - laurent Favre was one, can't remember the other - sorry. Don''t forget that there are skiing films made in other languages! The guys who are well known that you mentioned don't feature in French films - just depends on where you are doesn't it???
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I do know that there are other ski film companies but Matchstick Productions and Poor Boys do dominate the market. Regimne Change make alot of films based in Europe but they don't have the big budget of the likes of matchstick so the footage isn't always as good.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, Interesting to hear about the possible changes. I understand that this range of Scott skis hasn't really been available in the USA so far, so I suppose there might be a logic to freestyle-friendly alterations when attempting to get them to break into the North-american market this winter...
latest report
skibomb, Do you mean that the North American market is less hardcore than the European one?? Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing wink wink

I should think that although a fair number of good skiers use them (instructors, good all round ski) etc. They probably just didn't get used enough in their target market. Pity though - a very nice all round ski. I'd like to try it in powder - at 80 under the foot they should be pretty good. Very Happy
snow conditions
ARGHHHHH, twin tip abuse, I can't take it!!!!!

Now..... at the risk of being shot down in flames here (which I know I will be), twin tips were designed for PARK use not really all mountain, thats why there are other less turned up skis and normal skis, for piste lovers.

Scott P3's are a load of old crusty pants, a mate has them and he far prefers my dynies. I prefer my dynies and his K2's lol (yes, I know were strange, thats why we do freestyle)

A
ski holidays
adam_button, if you want to avoid being shot down in flames, the best way is to keep opinions as opinions, and not make them out as facts.

I can assure you that many twin tips were not designed for the park - such as the K2 Seth Vicious.
Tell me, what made the P3s "Crusty old pants", cause it's not a technical description I've read before! A bit of description, rather than emotion, and you might not get flamed!
ski holidays
I have to say having tried rossignol scratch fs, Volkl dogen, K2 public enemys, Atomic Urban Triplets and head mojos, I still prefer the scott p3s (178), Were the ones you tried a 168. I know a girl that has the 168 and she too does love em. I have yet to hear a bad word said about them, crusty old pants I think not.

Plus are you really forgetting about all the backcountry freestyle skis out there such as The seth (mentioned above), Ak Enemy, Rossignol Scratch BC, Line Mothership , Line prophet series (80,90,100 and 130), Line Ellizabeth, Dynastar Big Trouble, Atomic Thug, k2 Pontoon, Armada ant, Armada Jp vd Julien, Scott p4, Volkl Karma, Salomon teneighty gun and to a certain extent the teneighty foil.

There arent really that many park specific skis as such that don't function well on other terrain, apart from something like an armada t. Hall (05/06) which has been detuned underfoot, which incidently has been changed this year to be more versatile ie; not detuned underfoot.
snow report
TBH I don't see the need for twin tips unless you're going in the park. I fail to see why so many manufacturers have jumped on this bandwagon, but it's a fashion thing.

I find them inconvenient: they don't fit in ski racks, they don't lean against walls securely, you trip over the tails (well I do), and if you're clearly not a parker then you look silly carrying them. I like to be able to "put my money where my mouth is" and hate to be thought an old poser.

I prefer the very slightly upturned tails of the Movement Demon Flame or my Zags. Just enough to make skiing backwards easy, but not enough to be inconvenient!

Having said all that the skis in question are, of course, park skis; so the point is moot.

adam_button, Please elucidate. I've never met anyone who can actually ski who hasn't liked them ....
latest report
FYI Just heard through a Scott rep that the P3 flex hasn't changed from 06 to 07. It's just new graphics.
snow report
I'd agree it looks a paint job, thats all....
Last years were black and this years are almsot white with a bit of colour on the tails. Rated with good edge hold but light enough to throw around. 82mm waist.
latest report
Who makes Scott's skis? Fischer?
ski holidays
DB, I have no idea. Do they have to be made by someone else?

skibomb, That's excellent news!
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
DB, I have no idea. Do they have to be made by someone else?

It's just that I remember being in a ski shop and the sales guy was pushing Scott skis. I said Scott isn't a name I'd normally associate with good quality skis (mountain bikes yes). He said they were just badge engineered by one of the big ski names - I just can't remember who Puzzled and would be interested to know if anyone does know and can confirm what he told me either way.

PS Are the P3's dual radius? if so in your opinion is it a gimick or is it an effective feauture?
latest report
DB, No - I'm sure they're not dual radius. I tried one of the first pairs of Scott skis about 10 years ago? Really short curvy carvers - I didn't like them because they turned too easily - well I was still on long skis at the time! I've never heard they were made by anyone else, but that that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Confused
latest report
easiski,

Strange Puzzled just checked and Scott have the P3's as "dual radius" on their site. A number of shop web pages have "dual radius" in their description too. Maybe we are talking about different model / year of ski, is it this one

http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=8929

I'm interested to know if the dual radius is a gimmick or not.
snow report
DB, what is dual radius supposed to be?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, well I don't know if it makes much difference. I think (but may be wrong, not being a techie) that it's a question of where you mounta the bindings which changes the natural radius of the ski. The ones I tried were the black and green previous model, and I didn't pay any attention to which ski went on which foot or anything like that. With the Aztec etc there are just a couple of lines where centre ski used to be. The tech info on the website is woefully inadequate, so I suspect it's just a bit of a gimmick, because it's now been well established that you can change the characteristics of the ski to a degree by where you mount the bindings, whether it's official or not!
ski holidays
eng_ch / easiski,

I'm trying to work out what this dual radius is too. Remember reading something about dual radius sometime ago and thinking how does that work?

found this on epic http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=35748

Quote:
It has what Scott calls Dual Radius. The front part of the ski has a shallower turning radius than the back, 15 vs. 14 I think. They don’t explain this well on their website. Which means some heel pressure will bring the ski around quickly.

which only makes me even more confused Puzzled
ski holidays
DB, I never read Epic for that very reason! Of course heel pressure will bring the ski around quickly - it's called skidding! Seriously, I would ignore the whole question. They ar very nice skis though, and this year's are quite pretty.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
easiski wrote:
Of course heel pressure will bring the ski around quickly - it's called skidding!

Classic Laughing
ski holidays
Interesting discussions and concepts of course. But what's wrong with skidding anyway?!
latest report
skibomb, Nothing if you mean to do it, do it in a controlled manner etc. Most peeps, however, skid because they don't ski properly, force the ski round the corner by skidding the tails and wasting oodles of energy in the process (oh yes, and being out of control to boot).

Rally Drivers can skid their cars very efficiently and in a much more controlled manner than you or I. I would think I can skid pretty efficiently on skis too; but skis, like a car, are only properly in control when going forward under acceleration.
latest report
skibomb wrote:
Interesting discussions and concepts of course. But what's wrong with skidding anyway?!

It's like picking your nose, most people do it but there's a time and a place for everything. Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy