Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

goggles

Poster: A snowHead
I've used The Eye Shop (based in Chamonix, but with an excellent mail order service) a few times. They have an excellent website covering a range of brands, including lots of info about lens choice.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can also recommend The Eye Shop
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cathy

you might well have met me in BW then, or some of the group. I was with snowskool doing the instructor qualifications. i was the one in the fake spyder jacket (see "is this a hoax" thread wink ) It's a brilliant resort, apart from the - ahem - "low cloud"! But the snow is the best i've skiied on & the variation of skiing, with all the open terrain is just great. enjoyed it immensely & skied almost every day - funny how you just don't get fed up with it. trouble is it makes 6-day euro holidays seem hardly worth the effort..
i'm going back to BW again next year for a few weeks. Just hope i don't pick foggy ones!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i was looking at the Oakley hi-blue which someone recommended. In the pictures i've seen the lenses are yellow.. Que?
Anyway, i don't want to be buying 2 or 3 pairs of expensive goggles so if anyone has tried orange, yellow, pink, (& blue?) lenses in fog/flat light i'd be glad to hear which one you found best (though i suspect there won't be much in it & it will depend somewhat on your eyes too).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have used The Eye Shop too. Excellent service.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
riverwhy, the hi-blue lenses do appear yellow - it's due to the coatings on the lens surface I believe. They're supposed to be very good for low light.

Personally I've got G30 lenses in a pair of A-Frames - little bit darker so perhaps not quite as good when the murk really descends but they're possibly a tad better in partial sun. I bought them primarily for use in -15 temperatures and lower so all-round versatility was key, rather than absolute low light performance. Brilliant lenses though!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
one of the instructors in BW had some goggles with, i think he said, light intensifying lenses. i can't remember the make or anything else about them now but he said they were the best he'd tried (loads of money though!). Anyone know anything about these?
i'm not too worried about goggles for the bright sunlight as i wear sunglasses in those conditions as i don't want to go home looking like a panda..
Cool Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
starnberg - what are these goggles ? they have blue lenses that look blue (?)

http://tinyurl.com/oomd8

Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
riverwhy, those are the hi- blue lenses. The blue tinge comes from refraction off the surface of the lens, but they are yellow when you look through them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ah - thanks - glad we cleared that up (confused? you will be! wink )
Don't much fancy green goggles though - i'm a bit of a poser me.. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you ever get the chance to test a set of Carerra Kimerik goggles with the rose tinted lens, you would definitely buy them over any goggles Oakley put out. I retail both Oakley and Carerra myself, but the ease with which Oakley lenses scratch is disturbing, the optical quality of the Carerras is better in the long run, given also that the Caerrra goggles are Polarised to reduced the effect of flat light, the frame has adjustable vents and a decent amount of volume of air within the frame, they are compatible with almost all helmets and certainly very comfortable.
I have tested both the HI blue Oakley up against the Kimerik on the same day at Whistler in both white out conditions and bright sunny conditions, and the HI blue Oakley's didn't even come close, and they cost more than the Kimeriks.

One of the major causes of goggles fogging is the air behind the lens becomes saturated with water vapour, this is less likely if the frame of the goggle allows more volume of air, also if the volume of air can be exchanged for dryer air quickly enough to prevent fogging, so it is not all just about the lens, the frame is also important to prevent fogging.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks for that whitethorn.. hmm.. so if you retail them, how much are they to snowheads?? wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
riverwhy wrote:
thanks for that whitethorn.. hmm.. so if you retail them, how much are they to snowheads?? wink
By the time they got from Australia to you, the price would double, due to the shipping costs.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
oops.. didn't notice that.. d'oh! i'll look out for them at the ski show then Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've always found that beer ones work fine Twisted Evil
ski holidays
LARGEZOOKEEPER, large faces, small sharp ones need whisky.
snow report
riverwhy wrote:
oops.. didn't notice that.. d'oh! i'll look out for them at the ski show then Smile

Yes, you can be sure even though i own retail outlets myself, if i suggest you buy a certain product, i won't be trying to sell it to you myself. Smile
latest report
II, No expertise claimed but I have tried Smith, Cebe and my latest pair are Bolle xp with the photocromic lens. I used them in a good variety of light conditions last year and they were excellent. They cost around £40 which made them the cheapest pair I've tried. (and no messing about swapping lenses). Smile
latest report
I know I started this thread over a month ago but I’m still goggle-less.
I went to Craigdon Mountain Sports Inverness and they only had a few pairs of Oakley in stock about 3 weeks ago-said they were getting there winter stock in in September.
Was also at Ellis Brigham, Breahead and was surprised that they only had one pair of Addidas goggles in total.
I do however thanks to snowHead now have a short list to try when I next head over to Inverness.
Thank you all for your advice Smile
ski holidays
Finally got sorted today Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I got Bolle Nova Black's with Modulator Citrus lenses Very Happy I really could not justify spending double on the Oakley’s which did not seem any different when I tried them on in the shop.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy