Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

goggles

Poster: A snowHead
My old goggles are scratched badly so I need some new ones. I don’t care what they look like or what brand they are but I do want something that:

1. won’t fog up
2. is good in “flat light”
3. is comfortable

What’s the difference between a £30 pair and a £130 pair other than the name on the band?

Any suggestions?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
II

1 - good goggles with vents shouldn't fog up - don't put them up on your forehead when not skiing/boarding
2 - depends on the lens not the goggle
3 - depends on your head!

There's been lots written here on goggles if you do a search - personally I have Adidas goggles and have found them great. Good vision - and depending on your lens, good in flat light.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cathy,
thanks just noticed the search button at the top of the page Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I love oakleys. find them very comfortable and have never hd probles with fogging since I learnt the advice abvove, viz, don't put them up on your forehead...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From experience I can only say Oakley have the best optics I have ever come across, but my Carreras that I use for brighter light are good enough that I don't feel the need to change. I have Oakleys for flat light (the pink iridium so they can handle a change to brighter conditions too) and Oakley sunnies which, by cost per wear, are the best value sunnies I've ever had. Mr Eng has some Uvex goggles for bright light and if I had them, I'd be changing them for Oakleys pronto!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
eng_ch, Agree with you re the optics.

I currently own Uvex, Scott x2, Oakley x2, Spy, Carrera.

Have borrowed and skied with anon, von zippers.

Out of all that lot, the optics (clarity, distortion, contrast) of the Oakleys are the best IMHO.

II, Try to get a "double lens" goggle, look for good venting. As for comfort/fit - each manufacturer and model have different profiles, so you have to try them. Also 3 later foam is a good thing to have.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
veeeight, agree - it's like the difference between tape and CD for sound, or the difference between 2D and 3D if you prefer. You can see (hear) perfectly well with other brands, but the depth of field is so much greater with the Oakleys, once you've tried them you'll never go back to anything else.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As a general rule with everything you do get what you pay for - I'd suggest the best way to do it would be to decide on your max budget and look for whats available at that price - the list could just be endless otherwise Wink

Smith are good - both me and the missus use them and I'm very pleased indeed.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Got some basic Oakley O Frames with Persimmon (Orange) lenses. These were the best I tried for low light and are invaluable when the light is fading in mid winter. For me they take enough glare off that I can wear them in bright sunshine as well. I have got a uvex pair with a darker tint and I used to switch for sunny days but now I can't be bothered. I don't look after them very well now as they just live on my helmet but the lenses are not noticably scratched and I've had them for 8 years.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
II, the best lens I've ever seen for flat light is the Oakley HI Blue - I have this lens and it's like having a light switched on.

I have also read that the Smith Sensor Mirror lens is excellent in flat light too - I haven't seen them though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use Oakley A frames with Fire Iridium lenses, which work very well for my eyes.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used to have a very old pair of Oakleys with persimmon coloured lenses which were OK in poor light, but maybe a little dark.

Baggage handlers did for them, so good old ebay got me two pairs of up to date Oakleys - Wisdoms - one pair with Hi-Blue lenses for bad weather, one pair with black iridium for sunnier weather.

Chose Oakley because the fit is always comfortable, optics are (reputedly) the best and they look pretty good in night camo frames Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a pair of smith anthem goggles. I really like them as they are designed for smaller heads, something like the oakley wisdom dwarves my face and looks more like some kind of scuba gear/welding mask.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use Bolle XP and they're good. I just can't justify the price of Oakley's
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
adam_button, I also use Bolle, cost round about £30 - iridium lens, silver frame. I cannot remember model name but it was recommended in Ski and Board. I find them very good.
snow report
I was looking at getting a par of oakley goggles to ware in flat light last year, but strugeled to find someone out in the alps with a decent range (La Plange, VT and 2Alps). So this year i want to make sure that i get them over here, so everything is ready should i manage to find a couple of weeks skiing...
Question is, is there anywhere in particular where they have a wide range of lenses etc avilable.
Also, I see that Oakley sell lenses seperatly, is it easy to change them so that you dont need one pair for bright light and another for dull?
ski holidays
The Oakley lenses are fairly easy to change, I have a persimmon lense and a blue iridium and this seems to work well for me.
snow report
adam_button, Latchigo, I agree that Bolle works, but have you tried to compare them to Oakleys in really bright or really flat light? I can get headaches in really bright sun (like a sunny day of April skiing or an August day at the beach in Cyprus) - i tried using Ray Bans and Cebe. Bought Oakleys cause they were cool in 1994, and found out Oakley sunnies are a god sent for me. Five years ago i tried using Bolle (they were OK, really sturdy frame -didn't break when i accidentally stepped on them) and after 2 months i just had to go back to Oakleys. So maybe it also depends on how sensitive your eyes are.
snow report
I've used Smith for ages - good value, spares usually readily available although for some reason some models sold in the UK have been long discontinued in N America. Last year I picked up a cheap double screen pair as a spare from Tcibo however and ended up using them full time - excellent construction quality , helmet clasp etc
snow report
to add balance to the oakley love-in, i switched to smith prodigy goggles this season and don't plan to switch back any time soon
snow report
the_fatadder wrote:
Also, I see that Oakley sell lenses seperatly, is it easy to change them so that you dont need one pair for bright light and another for dull?

No idea, but you can whole goggles off ebay for only slightly more dosh than replacement lenses, so I didn't bother.

Oakley have very good after sales service too. Kinda no quibble replacement.
snow report
I've always been an Oakley fan but the double lense seal 'leaked' at Snowbird this year & I couldn't see a thing. Could have been a baggage handling thing as I use a soft holdall. Thanks to the loan of Martin Bell's goggles I managed to ski down. I'm not sure waht make Martin's were but their red tint was very good in the poor visibility.

Oakley replaced the lense foc by return postage as soon as I got home. I reckon their best lenses are the Hi Blue for low-mid light & Fire Iridium for mid-bright light.
snow conditions
I had a pair of Bollés that became hoorendously scratched, a pair of Smiths that didn't fit too well and finally splashed out on a pair of Adidas Yodais which are bl00dy amazing Very Happy
latest report
sugardaddy wrote:
adam_button, Latchigo, I agree that Bolle works, but have you tried to compare them to Oakleys in really bright or really flat light? I can get headaches in really bright sun (like a sunny day of April skiing or an August day at the beach in Cyprus) - i tried using Ray Bans and Cebe. Bought Oakleys cause they were cool in 1994, and found out Oakley sunnies are a god sent for me. Five years ago i tried using Bolle (they were OK, really sturdy frame -didn't break when i accidentally stepped on them) and after 2 months i just had to go back to Oakleys. So maybe it also depends on how sensitive your eyes are.

I am a cheapskate, whereas your moniker suggests you are not.

If Oakley had goggles on trial I would do the comparison but I am not going to buy some just to find out. On sunny days I use sun glasses.
latest report
the_fatadder,

try this place, they seem to have it all

http://www.discounteyewear.co.uk/
snow report
I'll carry 2 pair, Spy for allrounders, and an old pair of Smiths for the really bad, must get home stuff.

For Glasses, I do the same..old Bolle glacier glasses.... superb lenses and light filtration...best I've ever used and had them since '85, and a general cheapish pair which I lose about once a season...
snow conditions
Latchigo, "sugardaddy" is really toungue-in-cheek - i'm nothing but a poor graduate student. I figure that if i bought my Oakley sunnies 5 years ago fro 100 us$ (straight jackets with the gold iridium lense), wore them for everything from walking and driving to skiing and rock climbing, then 20$ per year is not that much. Also, last month, i scrached my lenses at the beach (playing football) so i got replacement lenses for 50% off, so i recon they should last me at least 3 more years. My goggles are L frames, that are the cheapest Oakleys, and only come with persimon lenses. I've used them for 6 or 7 years and are still like new, much better than my previous Cebe that disintegrated after 4 years.
snow report
thanks all,
it seems that "Oakley HI Blue" seem to be worth a try and also some "bolle xp's"
hope that Carigdon has them both in as i am in inverness next week.
when at ellis brigham Braehead a month ago they had 3 pair of goggles total!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

What’s the difference between a £30 pair and a £130 pair other than the name on the band?

About £100.
Do I win a prize ? Toofy Grin
latest report
anyone skiied in the fog at Big White? If so any recommendations for lens colour or is it a hopeless case?
snow report
riverwhy, welcome to snowHead

I'd suggest a yellow tint - but try any of the Oakley Hi-visibility ones, and get the ones that work best with your eyes.
ski holidays
riverwhy wrote:
anyone skiied in the fog at Big White? If so any recommendations for lens colour or is it a hopeless case?

Yup - been there, done that! I think it is a lost cause. Best advice, in the fog, stay in the trees in the Black Forest.

Mr C was skiing with the SCGB rep in the bowl over at Gem Lake when the visibility was zero - the rep disappeared in front of him off a ledge (small, thankfully!)

We both had the orange Adidas Yodai lenses (scroll down to bottom of page) which should be good for poor visibility. But it isn't a miracle worker wink Very Happy The yellow ones should be the best for foggy conditions.
latest report
cathy wrote:
Best advice, in the fog, stay in the trees

Excellent advice - when it gets foggy, head into the trees, or at least close to them.
snow report
The Black Forest area has been gladed so you can actually quite happily spend quite a few hours there - or at least we did! Toofy Grin
snow report
riverwhy, if you're going to Big White, you might like to see this info about lift passes http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=18019
ski holidays
i am Cathy, in Feb, - but i spent 3 months there last year - & you are dead right about heading for the trees, especially when you can't tell where the sky meets the ground!
it's a weird feeling alright! and some of those catwalks are lethal when you can't see the edge..
i'll look out for some yellow hi-vis anyway, but was also interested in the Oakley hi-blue. i won't really know what suits my eyes without taking several pairs into the mist, & that could prove expensive.
snow report
riverwhy, ah well - you're in a much better condition than me to talk about the bad conditions! What were you doing out there for 3 months and did you enjoy it? We really loved it there last year and are keen to go back - I wonder if we met you there (about mid-Feb) as we did meet a few 'longer-term' brits, I think working towards instructors quals.
snow report
cathy, Ah, just the person! I have some Adidas Yodai goggles, which I like very much. I bought them with the orange mirror lens which is fine most of the time. But in poor flat light in April I couldn't see a damn thing. Can you recommend which lens I should get for that? The Adidas website isn't as helpful as Oakley's when it comes to lens choice. Are the lenses easy to switch on piste?
latest report
cathy, Sorry - being thick - already answered, apart from the ease of switching question!
snow report
noggy, glad to have helped! Yes, the Yodai are sold with the orange mirror which didn't suit me in flat light either. Snow & Rock sell replacement lenses (in season) and I found the plain orange to be much better. I also found the orange to be fine in sunny conditions although they don't give so much protection (re my link above, click on the lenses & it gives the different light absorption/protection). They just pop in and out but mine seemed to be a bit harder to swop than the OHs, so I ended up not changing them. He was able to change his very quickly & easily.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy