Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowsure 9th December 2006?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All. Have been reading on this site for the past hour and have learned loads, so thanks everyone. Very Happy
The question I have is where can I go that is snowsure , and the resort is open on 9th December 2006? We have already booked flights to Geneva.
We are beginners and have only been ski-ing once in Chamonix last year at the same time and there was plently of snow (well in my inexperience there was!) we loved it there, but we would like to try somewhere new.
As beginners, somewhere that has plenty of beginners slopes. Thanks! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Natalie97, Welcome to snowheads. None of would stake our reputation on a snowsure resort on the 9th December, sorry.

Some easier slopes should be open in Les Deux Alpes though.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 14-08-06 16:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Natalie97, welcome to snowheads, about the only resort that will be guaranteed to be open then, as much as anything can be guaranteed, will be Tignes. Although you may find that not all of the domain will be open, Tignes usually opens before the end of Nov, so you can access the website and judge the conditions for yourself. Val Thorens might be open, they usually try to be one of the first mega stations to open but again you'll probably find the skiing restricted to VT as most of the 3V's links won't be open. Our domain - Espace San Bernardo is scheduled to open on the 10th Dec and whilst we've only missed the scheduled opening day once, it can't be guaranteed, as we're high and it needs a lot of snow to cover our rocks. We've certainly got good beginners slopes, have a look at our ad in snowShops or go to www.tracksvacations.com for full details, we have our own mini-bus and we're not averse to trasporting our guests to whichever resort nearby has good snow, chose from Val d'Isere, Tignes. Ste Foy and Les Arcs.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 14-08-06 17:35; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Natalie97, consider Switzerland. Verbier should have something open by then. While Verbier is not a renowned beginners' resort neither is Cham, so if you survived that the alps are your oyster! The glacier at Les Diablerets may be a better location tho, as the skiing is gentler. Verbier and Les Diabs are just as easy (if not easier) to get to than Val T and Tignes. Unfortunately Les 2 Alpes is miles & miles away from Geneva.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Natalie97,
The snow at the beginning of the season can vary greatly from area to area and from one year to the next. You are probably best waiting till December to decide where to go.
If you have to decide before then personally I would go for a resort with a glacier such as Tignes but there may well be better snow in other areas come December. One thing is for sure it is always easy to get accomodation at short notice before xmas.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
the ice perv wrote:
Unfortunately Les 2 Alpes is miles & miles away from Geneva.

It isn't really - you could do it in a well under 3 hours if the roads are clear. You'd be lucky to get to Tignes much more quickly - it's nearer but the roads are much worse

As people have said, there isn't really such thing as a snow-sure resort at that time of year. The best thing to do is look around nearer the time and see where is open and/or has decent snow. Be prepared to drive. There is usually somewhere that gets a good early dump
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Natalie97, The last 7 years I've been in Tignes or Vd'I somewhere between Mid November and the 9th/10th Dec. Always had a good time although conditions have been variable. Very variable!

Chamonix apparently not now opening till 23rd December, which is a bit of a bummer.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch wrote:
Chamonix apparently not now opening till 23rd December, which is a bit of a bummer.

is that definite? i was planning a little early season trip for some relaxed sliding and some feverish kit buying chez SMALLZOOKEEPER
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David@traxvax, Oy - wer'e always open! :looking again for hands on hips smilie.

Natalie97, I think you should come here, although it might be cold. Our easy slopes are up on the glacier and the blacks are down in the town - well not quite as B & W as that, but we are an upside down resort. We Open on 2nd December and you're guaranteed to be able to ski with the summer skiing on the glacier. Normally we manage to get a lot more open than that, and would expect in a normal year to have about 75% of runs open for the 2nd week of the season. In addition it's only miles from GVA if you go either by train or bus. rent a car and the drive will take you around 3 hours - shouldn't be more unless you use a Tom Tom instead of a map!!! We're also quite cheap and there'll be lots of accommodation choice at that time. You can even rent an apartment from one of several Snowheads who own here. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Geneva to L2A may only take 3 hours, but Geneva to Les Diablerets only takes 90 mins........so there! NehNeh
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, I know - Open All Hours!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, so I hear. It has quite a few locals somewhat up in arms as it deprives them obviously of potential income. Allegedly it's to do with insurance costs Puzzled
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
To everyone whp has helped, thanks Very Happy for all the advice, all very helpful, am now going to have a look at all the resorts! Shame about Chamonix as this was a back up, but maybe another time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, sorry to labour this... do you think this means that no lifts (Midi excepted) will be running at all until 23 Dec, or is 23 Dec just the date slated for full opening of the lifts? I'm sure the Grands Montets has been open weekends from the end of November in the past, snow permitting
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno, not sure, will ask! Natalie97, please don't dismiss CHX until I confirm!!
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
Arno, not sure, will ask! Natalie97, please don't dismiss CHX until I confirm!!
Saas Fee, Zermatt, Obergurgl, Solden, Tignes, Lech, Zurs all should have snow from beg of December. Blush
latest report
Obergurgl? Solden?? Lech???

From Geneva airport???!! O-kay..... Puzzled
latest report
 brian
brian
David Murdoch, Arno, from GM website:

• du 1er au 5 novembre et les week-end jusqu'au 2 décembre : ouverture partielle
• à partir du 2 décembre : ouverture partielle en continu
• le 23 décembre : ouverture totale du domaine

How partial is their partial though ? Puzzled
latest report
brian, so long as the bochard gondola is working (along with the lifts to get you up to Lognan) that will open up enough terrain for my purposes (snow permitting of course...)
snow report
brian, which website - couldn't find on http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/en/gdmontets/index.html

NO idea (and I suspect they won't either) what "partielle" means!
ski holidays
brian, Arno, sorry, here it is http://montagne.chamonix.com/GraHor.php?ling=F

As you'll see, total opening from 23.12.06, whereas I guess in prior years they'd have opened completely as soon as they could. So worth a risk before then I'd reckon, especially if you don't mind a little walking or h.p.
ski holidays
the ice perv,

From Geneva airport???!! O-kay.....
[/quote]

Geneva????
Why not Stansted to Friedrichshafen?? Quiet close
snow report
i have also just started planning for early dec ie 9th ski trip and for last three years have gone to avoriaz for first week of season and got great snow/conditions and price for accomodation but 'officially' tourist info says opens week later and almost all brochure accom starts eve later than that. T.info site shows lift pass prices starting on 10th (?) but when emailed say opens on 15th. I have noted all comments & considering val t or solden both taking about same time in car it would appear. have done tirol for last 5 yrs in feb at lower levels and agan had great snow. ANY HELP ON THESE TWO PLEASE !
ski holidays
thomo wrote:
i have also just started planning for early dec ie 9th ski trip and for last three years have gone to avoriaz for first week of season and got great snow/conditions and price for accomodation but 'officially' tourist info says opens week later and almost all brochure accom starts eve later than that. T.info site shows lift pass prices starting on 10th (?) but when emailed say opens on 15th. I have noted all comments & considering val t or solden both taking about same time in car it would appear. have done tirol for last 5 yrs in feb at lower levels and agan had great snow. ANY HELP ON THESE TWO PLEASE !

thomo, welcome to snowHeads.

Perhaps waiting until early December and seeing where has the best snow would be a good solution? That early in the season there will be loads of accommodation available, no matter where you end up. You will have lots of flexibility about where you stay, especially if you are driving, so you will be able to make the most of whatever snow is around.

I can't comment on Solden, but if only the Grand Motte at Tignes was availble on the 9th of December because of poor snow I think I'd probably avoid skiing there because it would be inundated with loads of people from the upper Tarantaise valley all trying to ski on the limited number of pistes on the glacier.
snow report
defo worth waiting, last year we had great snow the week before Xmas in Morzine and the surrounding areas, which had better snow than many higher areas! We booked 2 days before departure though!
latest report
Frankk wrote:
Geneva????

Because the OP has already booked GVA flights
ski holidays
eng_ch, you beat me to it.
snow report
I think the upshot is don't panic. Book accomodation at the last minute.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The forecast this winter for the UK is wet and mild. That might actually suit high northern French Resorts if it also brings wet weather to the north western Alps during October and November. However if it means a blocking anticyclone over western Europe then that would not be good news for early season conditions, at any altitude.

Surely it carn't be worse than Last December ? Despite very little snow, Val D'Isere and Tignes were mostly open from early December, with skiing down as far as Tignes le Brevieres, because of the extent of their artificial infrastruture.
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
Surely it carn't be worse than Last December ? Despite very little snow, Val D'Isere and Tignes were mostly open from early December, with skiing down as far as Tignes le Brevieres, because of the extent of their artificial infrastruture.

I skied Val d'Isere and Tignes 8-13 December last year and there was plenty of piste skiing available, although not brilliant conditions, despite the relatively late arrival of the snow in that part of the Alps.
ski holidays
Frankk wrote:
the ice perv,

From Geneva airport???!! O-kay.....

Quote:

Geneva????

Natalie97 said, " We've already booked flights to Geneva".
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy