Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Urgent help needed for edge repair!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Fly to NZ in two weeks, and I have a serious edge problem. Ripped it out a few weeks ago down at Cas, tried repairing it with Super Glue but popped back out again yesterday at Rossendale.

How do I fix it, or would I be better driving many miles to a ski tech? I'm reasonably handy when it comes to repairing things by the way. Doesn't need to be perfect aesthetically by the way, the ski's have lots of dings in them as it is Smile

http://snap29.photobox.co.uk/10314482100cd435dfb6634c854f8eb8f8fa476f42c8b806b48d1435.jpg

http://snap29.photobox.co.uk/79094502fe19a8db5f01be371b7f5c6ef033ac799220fb60cbe501a0.jpg

Don't know how to actually get pictures into post so if anyone wants to do that for me they are more than welcome.

Links above might not work, but just scroll down the thread and i've posted pics of the damage there.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 13-08-06 18:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That looks like a blown wall to me as far as I can tell from the pic...and I would think it terminal...hope someone can prove differently
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pumba, For some reason I can't open your pics (comes up as image not available) but try Araldite 2011 two part adhesive as it's flexible/waterproof & is used for ski & board repairs.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pumba, I've just PM'd you info on how to download instructions for edge/sidewall repairs from the Salomon techy's site.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers for the pm, i'll have a look at it and see if I can get it sorted.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pumba, I can't open your pics either, same problem as spyderjon. I will not be able to give you any clever answers but wanted to see the pics to see if same kind of damage as to one of my skis - and then take advantage of the same advice.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Apologies, don't know why some can and some can't see the pics. Any advice on how to post the pics also welcome!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pumba, upload the pics to the snowheads snowMedia zone, then we can all look!

(you need to register separately there, then follow the simple upload procedure wink Yoda)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pumba, if you decide to use the snowMedia zone may I suggest that you re-name your pics before uploading; some folk have had problems with long file names Little Angel
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've uploaded them into the snowMedia zone now. Have a look and help me find a solution. Cheers.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pumba, I hate to say this, but that looks terminal to me, even if you find someone who can repair them, they'll never be the same again, sorry Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A fulfilling and fruitful future as tomato stakes?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pumba, I reckon it's worth a try as the edge doesn't look bent of kinked. Scrape all superglue residue off with a craft knife or razor blade & clean both faces of the joint well with wax a cleaner. Apply plenty of Araldite 2011 & close the joint & clamp in as many places as possible. Wipe off the excess adhesive that's squeezed out of the joint straight away, wiping away from the ski base. Leave for 24 hours at room temperature. Do a dry run with your clamps to check that you can close the joint properly. If you haven't got clamps then a length of timber over the area & put in a vice with do, or you can even gaffer tape the timber around the ski. Another pair of hands might be useful.

When dry give the skis a good flex & see what happens. However I'd be tempted to start thinking about what to buy next.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, If the slot is filled with supper glue he'll need to use the proper remover and he will also need to remove the original contact glue with a very fine q'tip and contact adhesive remover (acetone I think ... nasty stuff and will eat soooo many plastics). He could cut away a section of the base and glue and pin the edge (clamp the edge in position, drill .5mm holes and glue edge and short pins to fix them in position with flexible epoxy) then do a simple base repair to finish off.

but it does look like shopping time in the end
ski holidays
Masque, I was thinking short pins both sides of the break or the other side will come off.
ski holidays
comprex, good point

ps, thanks for the graphic Twisted Evil I kinda live in hope that GWButtf*** was put on this earth to show us all just how bad it can get if we're that stupid again.
snow report
Pumba, sory mate i would say they are dead, if you had been on holiday your insurance may have covered it
ski holidays
That's impressive! Sad

Looks like about 20cm+ has come out. I would suggest that you try to repair them (following the advice above), but I'd not take them on the hill any more - keep them for indoor use.
snow conditions
Well they are now clamped together and waiting for the adhesive to set.

Thanks alot for the advice folks, its much appreciated, especially as I don't post regularly on here. I do call in and view frequently though.

With a bit of luck they'll be fixed and then they get to go on their holiday in two weeks, if not it looks like I'll be doing some grovelling to the missus, folllowed by lots of housework. She might then let me have a new pair. Problem then will be where to find a pair of Armada's at this time of year?
snow report
Pumba, maybe you should try a different brand with a bit more edge attached to the rest of the ski?
ski holidays
(oh, and I hope it sticks for you!)
ski holidays
WTFH, I can't change brand, the Armada's are just so nice to use. Really light and an absolute doddle to ride around the mountain on. I'm really lazy and can't be bothered with ski's that actually require effort. Tried a mate's Line's once and nearly crashed the first time I tried to turn Shocked
ski holidays
I'm with Pumba,

Armada's dont have the best edges in the world - Both K2 and Atomic (Urban Triplets) have beefed up their edges this year.

Are they the AR5's? in which case - unlucky

A
latest report
Yeah, AR5's the 2005 model.

If they do turn out to be dead, I will be desperately searching for some of the 2006 model in 176, the graphics are far nicer than the 170 model, or if can't find might have to settle for Tanner Hall Pro model! Just don't really want them, de tuned edges, they'll get detuned fairly quickly anyhow Laughing
ski holidays
I have a pair of Volkl Dogens that look just like your AR5's - hard rail landings - not good

If it were me i'd also check out the new liberty chopper! awesome!

A
snow report
General tip for using epoxy resins - to protect clamps or other equipment use cling film to provide a barrier between the area being epoxy'd and the tools... The epoxy will not cure to the cling film.
snow report
Going off topic slightly, are you going back to Verbier this year Parlor, and what's your chalet called, thinking of getting away for Xmas and thought Verbier might be quite nice!!
And cheers for the tip, about to go and unclamp them now though, fingers crossed. I doubt that I'll know that the repair has worked until i'm half way down Cardrona though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pumba, I'll PM you some details.

Another top tip for using epoxy for things like edge repairs is to use a hair dryer to blow the epxoy into the gaps, the heat should also make the epoxy slightly runnier...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy