Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with baby - travelling and car seat

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK calling all experienced snowHead who have mastered the drive to Alps with new baby.

Researching baby travel system and especially car seat for the long journey. Research points to the fact that having baby in normal car seat for long periods of time not good for all sorts of reasons eg respiratory, spine etc. The maxi-cosi car seat which comes with "Jane" system claims to be only one that lies flat.

Any comments on this seat or other suitable ones?

Any comments on travelling in car with a few month old to the Alps in terms of will it work, advice etc? We could be talking 6 weeks old here.

Thanks Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
14 years ago there was a car seat on the market that had 3 different positions, made by Britax don't know if that type is still available but was very good and served us very well over several years and many journeys. Do bear in mind how the seat fits into the car, not all seats fit into all cars Shocked and some baby seats will damage the car seat over time. A plastic cover over the seat before fitting the baby seat can save tempers wink At that age they sleep for a good part of the trip anyway Very Happy
Mine have always been driven to the Alps and as you know their spines and height haven't been affected
Remember only stop for petrol and nappy changing when the smell gets to much! Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin, we had one one of those, and I thought it far superior to the baby carriers these days. They had a lever on the bottom to lay the baby flat when facing backwards (or even forwards when older). it was used until they were 4 or 5 and grew out of it, and into a booster type seat. Mouth, at that age, they should be fine. A year later will probably be more difficult. Our kida loved being in the car, the eldest slept as soon as you left the driveway (we have been known to go out for a drive in the middle of the night to get him to sleep!!) My sister would not have purchased a baby travel system if she had the choice now. A separate car seat, decent first rear facing pram/pushchair, and a stroller for when they are older would be better. I would also get a baby carrier for taking it around the resort. It will be far warmer close to your chest than in a pram. They are excellent for an unsettled baby, as you can carry them around the house in it too, leaving your hands free to wash up, load the washing machine etc.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
why not fly and hire a car??

at 6 weeks they will sleep- alot- but even so
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
edsilva, they will still need a car seat at the other end though, and I think Mouth may be planning to be out there for quite a while. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
we drove with our then six month old and had no problems in a Britax Renaissance (or something like that) and he was fine. its a normal car seat with a 5 point harness and i think they are still available - we have found it to be a good seat for long distances even now. Would definately recommend driving overnight or very early morning so they are likely to want to sleep too - you get the benefit of quiet roads and they are reassured by the constant sound of the car - Ben (our little one) slept most of the journey. Also at night one of you can sleep too until u need to change over.

We've found on the 3 trips down that the tunnel is easiest, its short enough for a stretch and you can use the time on the train to feed or get them changed etc and you dont have to cart everything up and down flights of stairs...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mouth, We travelled to the Morzine last year with a 3 month old, and the journey was much easier then than this year with a 15 month old!!!

We went through the tunnel and split the journey over 2 days to allow plenty of rest stops. Tried to time the crossing to fit in with feeds etc, and then stopped each time the next feed was due. We had a maxi cosi cabrio car seat and found no problems.

Take toys/mobiles/rattles etc and be prepared for one of you to sit in the back with the baby.

We also had a baby carrier for use in the resort, again no problems, even took him up the gondolas for lunch at nice restaurents etc, although it was March so nice and warm and sunny.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone this is really useful!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Travelling with a child won't be so easy again for around 14 years, so make the most of it. I travelled world-wide with a 6 week old baby, admittedly not to ski resorts, but round loads of dodgy bits of the third world, Washington DC and Disneyworld! I used a baby carrier on my front, to leave my husband free to run after her big brothers. The baby loved the travelling; the problem came when we stopped and she found life became much more boring when not being carried round all day!. The one thing which makes the whole thing FAR easier, if possible, is to be 100% breastfeeding. Sorting out cleaning and sterilising bottles and boiling water etc. makes life much more complicated. The kind of baby car seat which gives you an almost flat position does sound better; my 5 week-old grandson did look a bit scrunched up when he arrived here after a 3 hour car journey last weekend. In the bad old days we used a carry-cot restrained on the back seat, not a very safe option, really, though it did allow the babies to lie flat. Those were in the days when Gripe Water really worked because it contained morphine.....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy