Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short people problems

Poster: A snowHead
boredsurfin, by "powerful", I mean I'm 100kgs, and I ski fast and aggressively, with (mostly) carved turns, and reasonable angulation, so I think that I probably put more force than most through the ski edge. I believe that a longer edge means less pressure over it, and so it holds turns slightly easier than a shorter ski, and also is less likely to sink in deeper snow, but I'm no expert, and I'm sure easiski can explain it better.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski wrote:
snowaddict, Hmmm - size 4 is a problem isn't it? I know a male instructor with size 3 feet would you believe? This is exactly it. I'm trying the Miss Demenor again today with all the new snow around, but at 159 for a soft-ish ski they're a bit short for me. However that was the length Helen Beaumont, had to try at Castleford, whereas they are made in 153.... Now Helen's as fair bit shorter than me, and (if you'll forgive me for saying so Helen) not at the same skiing level either. How about you coming to the PSB. If there are a goodly bunch of decent female shorties I've got a better chance of persuading the distributors to bring the right skis. Very Happy Very Happy

I remember trying Bandits last year in ridiculous lengths like 180cm. hard to tell what they're like at all at that length (currently ski a Rossi Zenith Z5 at 154cm, used to be on 9S 150cm so I'm short!!). Was desperate to try the Salomon 3Vs, but they didn't adjust down enough. K2 womens skis was all that was a viable option to try. This was the same for a lot of the women there that night of all standards.

I'm reasonably aggressive so I'm afraid general girlie skis don't do to for me. The Z5s are too soft for me but I left it too late when doing my pre-season order to get the ski I wanted. Did enjoy the Miss Demeanors I must admit, but wouldn't have that as my one and only skis.

There used to be a chap at Nevis Range who had size 3 feet, think he was from Australia or New Zealand, one of my mates taught up there so knew him. COuld it be the same person.

Don't get me started about boots stiff enough to fit my feet. Been let down badly in the past even when I've pre-ordered boots. Situation slightly better now though.

I'd deffo put my name down to something if it would help get us noticed a bit more.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidb, Thanks for that. I am going to contact the distributors ahead of the Mondial/PSB, so need as much ammunition as I can get.

boredsurfin, I find ski techs ALWAYS give peopkle skis that are longer than necessary. I reckon they don't understand how skis and skiing works. To give a beginner head high carvers when Bennie Raich's slalom skis are around chin high is ludicrous, but that's what lots of them do. Kis don't need to be longer any more because4 of your weight, but because of the flex you can put into them. Therefore: more powerful/heavier - get a stiffer ski, not necessarily longer!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, Thanks for that. What's your view on the lengths in this illustration for potential ski buyers. (scroll down a bit)

http://www.snowandrock.com/advice/buying_guides_skis.asp

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 15-08-06 8:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowaddict, Different male instructor - my pal worked in Cairngorm with me and now in Beaver Creek for ages!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin wrote:
easiski, Thanks for that. What's your view on the lenths in this illustration for potential ski buyers. (scroll down a bit)

http://www.snowandrock.com/advice/buying_guides_skis.asp

I always liked that pic. 'Cos of the hair, it looks like Columbo on skis. And it's informative. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer wrote:
boredsurfin, by "powerful", I mean I'm 100kgs, and I ski fast and aggressively, with (mostly) carved turns, and reasonable angulation, so I think that I probably put more force than most through the ski edge. I believe that a longer edge means less pressure over it, and so it holds turns slightly easier than a shorter ski.........

I believe that the torsion stiffness of the ski makes a difference here. I'm a similar weight & get superb edge grip from my 162 B5's as they have high torsion stiffness, ie the edge does not 'twist' & break away when loaded up.

[quote="Kramer].........and also is less likely to sink in deeper snow........[/quote].
When we were at ESA Martin Bell advised us that ski width underfoot had a major impact upon float, assuming of course that the user is on a reasonable length ski to start with.

physicsman posted this great piece on epic re underfoot width:
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=41637&highlight=ski+width
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i don't think length of edge has much impact on float since you aren't really using your edges to turn in deep snow. however a longer edge would imply a longer ski and therefore more surface area for a given width which will make a difference
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now - now boys! We're getting off topic here. Yes - torsional stiffness is what makes a major difference, as I said: get a stiffer ski, not necessarily a longer one. Off piste float is an entirely different matter.

NOW CAN WE GET BACK TO SHORT PEOPLE AND THE (LACK OF) SHORT SKIS TO TEST/BUY PLEASE
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin, I think the lengths are fine for a good skier, but a tad on the long side for what S & R call a recreational skier (anyway, they wouldn't wajnt a race ski would they?) they seem to have used the term in two different ways on the same page.

SMALLZOOKEEPER made some valid comments in another thread about the S & R scale. According to their scal I would have to rate myself at least a 10! Shocked Shocked considering the number of skiers in the world better than me that's a bit silly, but OTOH I suppose that's just about as good as it gets for non-professional skiers.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just picked up on this thread - so pleased to know there are other people like me about! I'm 5' and about 102lbs so not much muscle power to work with stiff skis. I'm looking at buying some new all terrain skis and a pair for off-piste specifically. Don't want to buy untested as done that b4 - not good.
Any update on tresting? I', just going to ring Ellis Brigham and see what they might have on offer at MK snowdome.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jane, re you coming to MK? I haven't done anything about getting short skis for that - no clout! I have made serious efforts to get peeps I know to pressure distibutors they know to bring short lengths to the Mondial. Of ocurse that would mean that you have to come to the PSB... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, Is it you that organises it then? I'm not coming up - it's today isn't it? And I couldn't make it at such short notice. Just as well as there aren't any short skis! It's a pain. I never get to choose a ski - I always end up with what's available when I go to buy - zilch usually. I'm on Dynastar Exclusive 11s at the mo and they're good on piste but too narrow off really.
What/where is the PSB? I'll go anywhere!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jane,

Have a look here
and here
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jane, there were a few short skis at the August day at Castleford, so I am surprised there weren't any at all.
snow report
Thanks for thatJT, but what IS the event, other than an opportunity to buy skis obviously and what is the Mondial du ski?
Helen Beaumont, I didn't get to Castleford - I was away. Don't know that I can make the PSB (whatever it is) either looking at the dates. I might have to go with what's available - again. But the reviews were helpful, thanks. Some of the Atomics, K2, and maybe the Rossignol B3W sound good, but you can't tell until you try. Someone raved about the Saloman B2s to me but I hated them - found it hard to initiate the turn - it's horses for courses. Just tried some old Saloman Cross Max and they were quite fun but again - not an offpiste ski really.
I can certainly get down to MK sometime before the season starts and see what Ellis Brigham have - they must have SOME short skis surely! After that I guess I'll just go through the stock once I'm out for the winter. I think I might stick to the Dynastars for on piste - at least I know them.
Thanks for all the help.
snow conditions
Jane,

The PSB is a pre season bash or gathering for snowHead and its is coupled to run at the same time as the LDA mondial which is a bit or a ski trade convention where they the trade introduces skis for the season or something on those lines. We go along to LDA for a few days skiing on the glacier and get the chance to test new skis of the sat/sun on the mondial. Of course, the snow may extend beyond the glacier but that would be a bonus.
The PSB is a snowHead social gathering - very informal - and the chance to ski early in the season.
snow report
OK - thanks. I'm not going to make it this year as I've got a lot on but worth know about for the future.
snow conditions
I'm happy to have my name added too. I had to buy skis - Head Monsters, 4 winters ago as I was fed up with the hire shops telling me that 165s were just right for me (I'm 158 on a good day). However, there seems to be much more variety at shorter lengths these days - but as Easiski says no one stocks them.
snow report
MaggyK, There didn't seem to be all that much available at MK in really short lengths yesterday, but encouragingly there were some more "meaty" ladies skis there, and I'll be posting my ski report probably tomorrow as I'm a bit knackered today. Sad
ski holidays
Easiski - I look forward to reading it. Let me know where to find it. thx
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy