Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learning to board

Poster: A snowHead
Hey everyone,

I am a skiboarder... unfortunately my sacrifice for having my girlfriend come to the snow with me is that we have to do something I am not already good at. So that means learning snowboarding.

So I have done about a month of days on skis and skiboards and am fairly confident on anything which is groomed and I love the bumps. My girlfriend has done no sliding of any sort ever. Realistically, how many days of lessons would we need before we could potter our way down greens?

Thanks!

Adam
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
depends how good she is once she gets on a board!
might be 1 day or might be 3!

make sure you get her wrist gaurds, knee pads and a bum pad, then she wont give up when everything hurts from falling over the first day or so!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
3 days turning competently down greens and blues if you stick at it through the pain/giving up barrier. Can be shorter.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
3 days sounds acceptable to me! The idea is that we'll both be doing it at the same time so hopefully I can keep her encouraged.... of course I am making the assumption I will be any good at it!

The padding I have to work on.... she doesnt like the idea of looking like the marshmallow man!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I learnt to board after learning to ski, and it took me fifteen minutes to get the hang of it suitable to go down a blue or green, it's all about confidence. I had skateboarded a bit when I was younger so that made it easier.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Day 1 - lots of fun - heel edge, toe edge...
Day 2 - pointing down the hill - first turn - starting to get painful
Day 3 - absolute agony from falling... link two turns - biggest high in the world snowHead Laughing Laughing Laughing

Note - there is more pain than skiing. I remember skiing pain was generally related to muscles being overworked and tired - snowboard pain is from constantly falling - and its agony without padding because you keep falling onto the same points. Follow angels advice and get bum, knee and wrist supports!

Worth it all though!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kids are having their 1st board lesson at xsacape on saturday. Will roller blading/skate boarding protection suffice.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, they need wrist guards as well, but otherwise yes. It's helpful if you know how to fall as well.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
buns,

Quote:

3 days sounds acceptable to me! The idea is that we'll both be doing it at the same time so hopefully I can keep her encouraged.... of course I am making the assumption I will be any good at it!

Don't go there....please don't attempt to teach your girlfreind...it will end in tears Crying or Very sad

Most likely, in the early stages you'll progress a bit faster, during this time you'll have to be very patient.

Leave any lessons to instructors...don't risk your relationship.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
buns, By hook or by crook you must persuade your girlfriend to wear all the protection advised. If she's planning to wear such skimpy clothes that peeps can see her figure while snowboarding then she's an idiot - change her!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
buns, if she wants to look rad then she'll get some big baggy pants and a pair of compression shorts, they wont show under them cos they're so baggy, also the knee pads wont show as they're under them too.

also re wrist gaurds, (this is a serious case of do as i say not as i do as i will replace my dekine ones when the need it which is not yet) get her the flexmeter wrist gaurds, they are far superiour to any others on the market and are worth every penny.

also final thing you both need is..............a helmet. Please get her a helmet, falling on your head really really hurts, but here are also a lot of nutters out there who can fly on to the piste from anywhere.

I've seen more than one fatality on a mountain due to the person not wearing a helmet, dont let either of you be the next!

also maybe think about a few lessons at one of the fridges in the uk, it will make that first day that little bit eassier.

btw..........you'll both love it! Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ski,

Don’t worry, I have no intention to do the teaching! I have never boarded so need lessons as much as my gf does. I was just wondering how many days we would need before we could potter on our own.

Easiski,

It don’t think she wishes to go to skimpy clothes (unfortunately I cant even persuade that in the summer)! In any case, she will rapidly be happy to be big and puffy when she feels the cold!

Snowangel,

Once we get started, im confident she wont complain about the padding! Thanks for the advice on the wrist guards, as a ski type person, I don’t know much about that sort of protection. Helmet wise, im already on the ball for myself! I wouldn’t go anywhere near the slopes without one and Laura will be no different! Unfortunately it isn’t really so easy to get to a dome in the UK because of our location. The cost of a trip is going to be somewhat more than what it would cost just to have an extra day in resort!

Thanks guys! Im starting to get excited again! Im going to have to work out how to sneak out on my boards because I don’t think I can live without some blasting through the bumps!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My missus had no idea what a mountain was when she first tried boarding. She had a real culture shock but also the best time of her life. She learnt to board in about 2-3 days and could quite happily tootle down the big hill on her own by the 3rd lesson..
She now burns up the half-pipe. The only real worry that you may have in the future(as i have) is that she is better than you.

Hope you both enjoy.....Welcome to the dark side! Toofy Grin

P.S Freeriding together is the perfect learning curve,you can practice small tricks on the hill without feeling embarrassed. Make yourselves a small kicker if you can and just have fun. Above all else...be confident.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If she gets better than me.... i'll go back to two planks!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, how did the kids get on?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, how did the kids get on?

I think from the side, stepped into the bindings and then strapped in !!! Razz
ski holidays
pam w, They quite enjoyed it, the elder more than the younger. They managed to zig zone the small slope by the end of the lesson. I think given a bigger slope they would enjoy it more. Both couldn't wait to strap on their skis though. The seeds have been sown and I am sure they will have another go shortly. They both liked the instructor who was good fun (3/4 of the battle for kids IMHO)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy