Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shoulder injury - surgery

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I had the injection but it didn't fully cure the inflammation. At the follow up appointment I thought I was going to have another one. I've been told that as the injection didn't work fully, the only way forward is keyhole surgery to shave off part of the bone to allow it to heal. I think they called it a compression or something. Sad

Has anyone out there had this/know about it/performed it? It all seems horribly dramatic and puts paid to my rowing season this year. I am just frightened of having all this done (only had gen. anesthetic once and am convinced I am going to die) and then finding my shoulder strength is not the same. Plus it costs a huge amount of money. Would it never heal on its own?

I know Mr Levy at the Reading Shoulder Clinic has a very good reputation (I am booked in for July 8th), but can anyone put my mind at rest please? Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am not sure what the problem is, how did you injure your shoulder initially? What is the correct operation name? I have had several shoulder operations but these were for damaged ligaments. Injecting something is no sort of solution and is typical of medicines attempt to treat a symtom rather than a cause. Find out more about your options, are there any non-evasive cures?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The term given is Arthroscopic Subacromial Decompression (ASD)/Excision of the Acromioclavicular Joint. This is, of course, Japanese to me.

It was a skiing accident in Jan. Bad weather resulted in a number of falls (one bad one onto shoulders)/ constant use of poles to stab the snow to slow down when tired - bad habit. By Feb I could hardly raise my right arm. Physio/anti-infalmmitaries helped but didn't work. An ultra sound scan showed inflammation under the joint. The cortisone injection was to get to the heart of the inflammation, but after 4 weeks it has made it better but not cured it. Hence I arrive at being told surgery to shave off some bone to allow room for the inflammation to die down is the only way forward.

Actually my partner has decided to wade in and will be talking to the consultant tomorrow to ascertain just how essential this op is. If left, will it calm down with exercises? As a rower as well as skier, my shoulder strength is v. important to me. I certainly don't want surgery, but still get pain at certain angles and need to clear this. Have you heard of this type of surgery?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not a consultant but someone that has had alot of shoulder problems and three operatons to date, each of which took about a year out of my sporting/activity life. Find out what alternatives there are, I would suggest you try a good chiropractor, they can help with any joint - trust me I have alot of football injuries and they can fix anearly anything for me (including dendix thumb!). Ask the consultant many questions, do you research first, what is the success rate of this operation, what alternatives are there, the web is a good place to find this out.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you Peter. I've rung a good chiropractor in Henley and he's calling back. Someone has also mentioned acupuncture to me as well. I will be investigating the lot. Anything to avoid drastic surgery.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well I can't help you there but I did have some of my ankle bone 'shaved' off
Anyway, just wanted to say good luck with your sugery or alternative treatment & hope you're skiing again soon!
snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am an acupuncturist (of 12 years) and have treated quite a lot of people with shoulder problems of various kinds. I would say that it is well worth trying, but not a guaranteed cure, and for chronic shoulder problems, usually not a quick fix. If you go the acupuncture route have at least five or six treatments to see if it is helping at all. If there is some improvement, then have a few more. I have found with chronic shoulder problems that the beneficial effects of acupuncture accumulate, and last longer, with each treatment. And it doesn't hurt too much, honest. To find a properly trained and registered acupuncturist in your area contact the British Acupuncture Council (BAcC) based in west London. Some physiotherapists and doctors are also trained to give acupuncture.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you el Hen. I had my first acunpuncture session today and have been recommended 4 more. Thankfully, the chap I saw is registered on the BAC site! Fingers crossed this helps.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Beverley, Greeting from the Gasman. A few comments.

1. Relax. Why on earth are you asking these questions here? You are entitled to a full and detailed explanation of your condition (diagrams are useful), a description of all the treatment options, the merits of each treatment option and their corresponding risks. You should never have left your doctors room without clear answers to all your questions. And, if I recall correctly, you are paying for all this! If you are not happy with the answers, drive up the M4 to Stanmore.

2. You already know a fair bit about this from your previous topic: Shoulder Injury - is there a doctor in the house?

3. Any treatment that relieves symptoms and prevents surgery is good, except maybe multiple steroid injections (they weaken the tendon). Acupuncture, Chirporacter, they are all worth a try. I trust you have been given an exercise plan and are doing it every day. Mark Hunter has largely cured his shoulder by diligently doing his exercises. Contact him to get details.

4. At Stanmore this is a common operation. We do between 5 and 10 every week, between 2 surgeons. Have a look at this site. Click on the Interactive Surgery link, type in an email address, and watch the operation (don't worry, it's an excellent animation and no blood).

If you want more information you could type "Impingement Syndrome" and "Arthroscopic Subacromial Decompression" into Google, but I would advise you to get all the info from your surgeon.

Remember: surgeons are not gods, they are just technicians in fancy suits. The Gods are all anaesthetists.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim, what an interesting website, could look at the pretty pictures for hours.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim aka Mr Gasman. Well, you have made me feel pretty dippy , but believe me, Mr Levy fires reasons/medical terms etc off bullet fast (particularly when, like me, you are partially deaf and rely on lip reading!), and I sat in his office like a rabbit caught in headlights.

Seriously though, the interative surgery site you posted won't let me in. It says that I have been inactive for 20 minutes (!?) or it can't read my logon (?!).

Don't take it personally, but the one time I have been anaethesised they took 15 minutes trying to find a vein as they had all retracted into my arm in terror! Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Beverley, click on Jon's 'this site' link and then follw the interactive surgery link, it worked for me that way. Then you can enter your e-mail address as instructed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beverley, I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems if jonpim - the snowHead approved anaesthetist - was to render you insensible Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ian Hopkinson, is that on or off the slopes?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From what I've heard, jonpim does his best to render himself insensible on the the slopes - last seen attempting the rail at Milton Keynes Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy