Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To B5, or not to B5

Poster: A snowHead
I have yet to ski the Mb5 in the 172, but I know I do not like it in a 162, not at all. It was fine of the groomers to carve, bt int he bumps and tree's is was aweful.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Atomic have three skis that incorporate their 'Beta 5' power chanel system:

- The Metron B5 which is their top ski in their Metron range & is known in the trade as the B5. I suppose it should be correctly known as the M:B5. I ski the 162cm which is 131/76/115 & 11m radius.
- The SX:B5 which is their top ski in their skier-X range. I'd ski the 174cm which is 106/68/96 & 18m radius. As you can see it's a very different ski to the Metron B5. If you like the Metron you'll probably like the SX but not necessarily vica versa as the Metron is a very short, stiff & tight radius ski.
- The new M11B5 is their new ski in the Metron range, falling being between the old/now defunct M11 & the continuing Metron B5. To keep the price down Atomic have put the Beta 5 power bars on the top of the ski & not in it as per the Metron B5 & the SX:B5.

Easy isn't it Cool

Don't know if you guys have noticed that the B5 tech' is the magnesium power rods these skis have.
I think there are other skis in the Atomic range that use this B5 tech too.
My ST11's have the magnesium power rods and the LT11 also has this tech too.
Just to muddy the waters a little Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rockyrobin, All that Merlot's clouding your thinking mate Laughing.

Atomic's race skis have their Beta 4 mag power rod system as also does the B5. However the race skis do not have the Beta 5 exposed elastomer damping system that's on the B5, SX:B5 & I presume the M11B5. wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 9-08-06 21:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rockyrobin, Don't the ST11's have the girlie power rods? Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, Not started on the drink yet mate. Not that I need fortifying to cloud my thinking anyway Laughing

You cannot tell me you just reeled all that info off without first going looking in your Atomic manual Wink Laughing You've got it bad mate! Toofy Grin

Hey, you do realise Atomic market the ST11/12 as a ski not just for the ladies but for lighter weight guys too. That's my excuse anyway snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rockyrobin, take the test.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, Seems I fit into this category:-
Quote:
110 TO 150 — This is borderline territory, son. Be careful. The bad news is that no auto mechanic is ever going to look at you with any kind of respect. The good news is that you’re probably attracting more women than other kinds of guys

Never mind the skis. I'm more interested in attracting the ladies Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MUST figure out how to get ~60 more points.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, You could always fake it Wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I scored 70 but I do have a vinegar preference Embarassed
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was +5. Embarassing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
75 (or -25).

"Did you see the Bears game? Hell of a game......"
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just bought today SX:B5s 174cm with Neox 412, got a good deal 450 bux brand new for the set. Never rode SX:B5s before, but from the reviews sounds like a fun ski, hopefully I wont be disappointed. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LEGEND, Welcome to snowHeads. Hope you enjoy your new toys. If you haven't sussed out how to change the bindings between the central & forward position (the Atomic instructions are cr@p) here's link to help.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderjon,

Thanks for the info on the M11/B5, I've seen some posts referring to that ski this year and I was really confused. Not that it matters, I ski the 04/05 B-5's and even after skiing 82 days over the past two seasons, they are still in amazing shape and I won't be in the market for new skis for at least another season. I've skied everything and everywhere with them and my only complaint is that they are really heavy when carrying them on my pack in the backcountry. I ski the 152's (I'm short) which makes the moguls easier - they are definitely NOT a ski for someone who spends all their time on moguls - too stiff - but they are amazing everywhere else. I'll give the new M11/B5 a try this year at one of the demo days but I can't imagine anything being better than my B-5's.
snow conditions
irishskier, My sentiments exactly.
ski holidays
Thanks a lot for the link Spyderjon, I haven't even thought about the fact that I'd have to adjust them. How long does it usually take to readjust a binding to a new boot size?
snow conditions
LEGEND, A minute or two per ski with a bit of practice.
latest report
Hopefully now with the Salomon involvment, Atomic will ditch their bindings. Atomic skis are themselves great, but I hardly use mine (except in the gates) as the bindings let them down so badly. Saying that I'd probably not buy Atomics for anything other than race skis.
As mentioned above they could definitely do with sorting out the naming strategy B5-M6, M11, etc, etc - more names than my AA roadmap!!
latest report
stuarth, It's a funny old game this as I've exactly the opposite sentiments as you.

I've 100% total trust in my three pairs of 04/05 Neox 412 bindings. I ski reasonably aggressively & use mine on my DIN chart setting & I've never had a pre-release but they've always let go when they should have. And when tested on my Huber torque release machine they're also bang on. What problems have you had?

I've only used a Salomon binding for a week (can't remember which model) & the toe height kept going out of adjustment.
ski holidays
Mine are device bindings (not sure which ones but the DIN goes up to 14 I think - kept them when the skis they were attached to broke - big mistake!) - so the really bad ones - tried to find some Neox bindings to swap them, but the only ones I could get hold of last season were the wide brake version from a sponsored friend. Anyway Neox bindings are still ridiculously heavy!
Device bindings are pre-release-tastic - even the pro-versions aren't great. Finished a race going round the last few gates on my ar$e when slightly the wrong line and some ruts meant a ski came off, several other course related incidents, but far worse at pre-releasing off-piste. Small Jump, land, off they come, chopped up powder, off they come, etc, etc... I've had to crank the DIN right up, I normally ski a high-ish DIN on my Salomon bindings (10) but have to go even higher on my Atomics - I really don't want them coming off when I hit a small bump at speed - when I'm really cranking a turn and it gets a bit bumpy I start praying!! Shocked
Have also had the toe height problem with my Salomons - I thought the bindings had broken they got so loose, so I took them to a shop to look at and they adjusted the toe which was _miles_ out. Apart from that though, they are great bindings, so together with the Atomics which are great skis, they would make a great combination! snowHead
snow report
stuarth, The Neox 412's from 05/06 season onwards are a lot lighter due to use of titanium etc than the original 04/05 version. Unfortunately the same weight loss was not applied to the 614's. Don't notice the weight when skied but not good for carrying.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy