Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To B5, or not to B5

Poster: A snowHead
ADMIN, any chance of opening a FORUM for those people using these toys?
It's clearly not ski related! wink

Just a little tickle JON. wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plop.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Regardless of the virtues of this ski, and I wouldn't know as I've never been on it, it seems that europe didn't embrace it and it will die a death...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's true that the skiing press did not truly 'get' the Metron but it's certainly not dying a death. Up until the launch of the Metron none of the manufacturers had been able to construct a ski that offered the 3 in 1 package, ie tight radius, float & short length. Mostly the press ended up reviewing it in the wrong categories which is problably as much Atomic's fault. But yes as a ski it really does work & no they haven't fallen apart. But yes it's probably too radical for many. Actually maybe it was just a few years ahead of it's time?

Part of Atomic problem was that there were initially too many Metrons in the range which led comsumers to think that the B5 was an expert level ski only. In fact S&R originally listed it as an expert ski which I am certainly not. This is certainly not true & I'd recommend the B5 for a test to any intermediate level skier looking to improve.

Another criticism was that the ski is heavy. That's true, but the swing weight is low so it skis waaay 'lighter'. Most of the extra weight was in the 04/05 model's binding which was lightened for the 05/06 model so the ski weighs no more that any other equivalent 'quality' ski.

To get the best from this ski, in fact to ski it at all really, it needs to be skied with modern technique rather than with a traditional feet together skiddy technique so that means any 'old schooler' who tests it is probably not going to like it. I've never know old school technique so I've found that this ski has perfectly complimented the tuition I've had.

And it has to be skied short! Most guys test it in 172 which is way too long, which is what happened when a number of last season's PSB'ers test it. The 172 is for 250lb'ers!. UK skiers are still getting used to skis being shorter in general so maybe skiing a 162 for a 6ft 200lb'er just seemed too radical.

Sales of the B5 were & still are extremely strong in North America &, talking to the Atomic rep at Castleford, were very strong in Europe (not the UK) for a high end ski. The problem in Europe was one of availability as the majority of the production went to the US, Canada & Japan were the B5 has been sold out each year by mid season. Availability in the UK is a problem, in fact sourcing a top of the range ski in general is a problem in the UK as there is a minimal market so the retails won't stock them, for example EB's stocked the Nordica Nitrous but not the Top Fuel.

It was interesting that at the recent Xscape ski test many snowHeads raved about the SXB5 skier-X model but Atomic didn't have a B5 for anyone to try!

Atomic have tweaked the Metron range for the new season with the new M11B5. They've reduced the side cut to increase the radius & you ski it a bit longer than the original M11 & the B5 - I'd ski in in 170 compared to my 162 B5. It's stiffness is between that of the B5 & the old M11. This move effectively makes the M11B5 a direct competitor to the Nitrous/Top Fuel etc. They've also rightly reduced the number of skis in the range which should avoid the confusion & specification crossover that existed before. Commercially this will probably be a great move but you probably won't be able to buy a B5 in the UK now.

For those that do 'get it' the B5 will enter it's third season unchanged, still heading up the Metron range.

SZK, I've bitten & I'm all played out now so you can reel me in Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
*this post has been brought to you by the "I'm addicted to Atomics" society. Please give generously, and perhaps we can rescue "spyderjon", so he can once again be free to try other brands of skis...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, It's just a good job RockyRobin and SpyderJon didn't turn up together on Saturday, between them they would have had more Atomic's than the rep.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marc gledhill wrote:
Plop.

And the float goes under rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My name's Jon & I'm an Atomicoholic Embarassed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
srobbo wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, It's just a good job RockyRobin and SpyderJon didn't turn up together on Saturday, between them they would have had more Atomic's than the rep.

Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey up! What's all this about an Atomic collection? Laughing

I'm sorry I couldn't do last weekend at Cas but had other temptations to tend to Mr. Green

Not trying to be funny but i'm with SZK on this even though I used to own a pair of M11's Twisted Evil

I've gone from loving riding around on slalom sidecut skis to now liking long fat skis with no sidecut. snowHead

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 8-08-06 21:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rockyrobin, Heretic Toofy Grin

And you don't have to ride the sidecut if you don't want to wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon, You need converting mate. If I get a chance to ski with you in the mountains sometime i'll even pay for you to demo a pair of fatboys for the day to see if we can do something with this affliction your suffering.

Seriously though, the B5 is a fun ski and it's a bit hard on Jon to knock them as they suit what he uses them for very well. Hell, I got told my skis looked "gay" the other week so it's not just Jon's choice of ski that doesn't always meet with approval in some quarters.

I'm curious what SZK slides about on? Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rockyrobin wrote:
spyderjon, You need converting mate. If I get a chance to ski with you in the mountains sometime i'll even pay for you to demo a pair of fatboys for the day to see if we can do something with this affliction your suffering.

No worries mate I'll bring my own Sugar Daddy's.

rockyrobin wrote:
I'm curious what SZK slides about on? Twisted Evil

Something with that old fashioned stuff in it..........I think they called it wood Laughing

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 9-08-06 12:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://03744d90ee125323.edelwiser.com/de/about/team/snowrider/

http://www.snowrider.at/modelle/1069941347/

http://67244d90e5d20509.edelwiser.com/de/

http://www.spezialski.de/
ski holidays
spyderjon,
Quote:

It was interesting that at the recent Xscape ski test many snowHeads raved about the SXB5 skier-X model but Atomic didn't have a B5 for anyone to try!

What makes you say this? This was the first ski I tested at Cas and it definately said SX-B5 on it.
snow report
stocky, ah, it's part of the Atomic confusion regime.

They have quite a few skis which include the legend "B5", but only one is actually the B5 and says only B5 on it.

Good eh?
latest report
marc gledhill, That SX model definately said B5 on the tip.

Now i'm most confused Puzzled

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 8-08-06 23:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
B5 is the name Atomic use for that technology, B5 technology but there is a ski called the SX:B5
snow report
FenlandSkier, This is the ski I tested unless I'm very much mistaken

latest report
Called the SX:B5 and featuring B5 technology. Bit of a daft marketing decision, it would be like Volvo calling their new car the Handbrake.
snow report
I've skied a pair of 158cm SX B5 for two seasons, absolutley brilliant. I csan't wait to get them on the snow again.
latest report
I've never seen B5's on the hill...not once, zip, zilch, zero.....
snow report
FenlandSkier wrote:
Called the SX:B5 and featuring B5 technology. Bit of a daft marketing decision, it would be like Volvo calling their new car the Handbrake.

I thought the B5 was going to be renamed the clitoris ...

(punchline, for those who don't know it, can be supplied by PM)
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, you've got one too!? wink
snow report
stocky wrote:

As they say, that wasn't a B5, it was an SX:B5.
snow conditions
marc gledhill wrote:
stocky wrote:

As they say, that wasn't a B5, it was an SX:B5.

Picky, Picky. wink It's still a flippin B5 wink . This all stemmed from spyderjon saying that there wasn't a B5 to test, SX or not, but there clearly was as I wasn't the only one to ski it. If I remember there was also an M11-B5. Is that not a B5 either?? Puzzled

Confusion reigns wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No, that's correct.

The M11-B5 is not THE B5, although it has the B5 design.
snow conditions
This is THE B5.
ski holidays
This is THE B5.
ski holidays
marc gledhill wrote:
This is THE B5.

marc gledhill wrote:
This is THE B5.

What there are 2 of them. Shocked Now i'm even more confused wink
snow report
Quote:

The M11-B5 is not THE B5

But it is A B5, which is where the discussion started. Got it now. Clear as mud wink
ski holidays
Shocked my pooter must have burped! Shocked
snow conditions
marc gledhill wrote:
Shocked my pooter must have burped! Shocked

Excuses, excuses wink
snow report
Atomic have three skis that incorporate their 'Beta 5' power chanel system:

- The Metron B5 which is their top ski in their Metron range & is known in the trade as the B5. I suppose it should be correctly known as the M:B5. I ski the 162cm which is 131/76/115 & 11m radius.
- The SX:B5 which is their top ski in their skier-X range. I'd ski the 174cm which is 106/68/96 & 18m radius. As you can see it's a very different ski to the Metron B5. If you like the Metron you'll probably like the SX but not necessarily vica versa as the Metron is a very short, stiff & tight radius ski.
- The new M11B5 is their new ski in the Metron range, falling being between the old/now defunct M11 & the continuing Metron B5. To keep the price down Atomic have put the Beta 5 power bars on the top of the ski & not in it as per the Metron B5 & the SX:B5.

Easy isn't it Cool
latest report
spyderjon, Thanks for that. I didn't get a chance to ski THE B5 at Cas on saturday but I did enjoy skiing the SX:B5. I think it was the 160cm with a 16m radius(might be wrong, was definately 16m radius but could have been longer than 160cm)
latest report
The SX-B5 is a skier-cross ski. The Metron B5 is an all-mountain mid-fat. The M-B5 will give back a lot more when you really push on it than the SX-B5.
latest report
ssh wrote:
The SX-B5 is a skier-cross ski. The Metron B5 is an all-mountain mid-fat. The M-B5 will give back a lot more when you really push on it than the SX-B5.

I can attest to that!
I've skied on both and found the little kick in the butt on the M-B5, that I didn't get out of the SX-B5.
I tend to ski on skis that are too big for me but I really liked the M-B5.
ski holidays
You know, it doesn't matter what fragrance of Glade you spray in the bathroom, whether it's SX, M11, or whatever, all you are doing is masking the smell. Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy