Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying snow/winter tyres in France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

My Pirelli 210AY Snowsports have finally worn down and I need to replace this coming season. I'm thinking of driving down on them (as there is still a good 3-4mm on them) and then once down get 4 new somethings (any good local brands? - need to be reasonably quiet on long journeys as the Pirelli's have been..)

Any suggestions on places or tyres would be welcome...seems getting them in the UK is costly.

Car they are going on is an Audi a6 avant....

Cheers
David
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skinutter wrote:
Hi,

My Pirelli 210AY Snowsports have finally worn down and I need to replace this coming season. I'm thinking of driving down on them (as there is still a good 3-4mm on them) and then once down get 4 new somethings (any good local brands? - need to be reasonably quiet on long journeys as the Pirelli's have been..)

Any suggestions on places or tyres would be welcome...seems getting them in the UK is costly.

Car they are going on is an Audi a6 avant....

Cheers
David

Many of the supermarkets do tire fayres in November / December where they have winter tires on special offer. However I bought mine from the local franchise: http://www.metifiot.fr/. I went for Pirellis which are still made in Italy. Michelin snow tires are made in Russia and supposed to be quite good. I wouldn't touch anything Chinese or Indian personally.

You may need to order and book an appointment in advance for anywhere other than a supermarket... and don't turn up between 12 and 2 pm.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Continentals, if you can get them in France, are pretty good. All winter tyres are noisier than summer anyway
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
eng_ch wrote:
Continentals, if you can get them in France, are pretty good. All winter tyres are noisier than summer anyway

Yep they are all noiser due to the tred pattern but you can get them more performance orientated. The Pirelli's I have are marginally noiser but they do grip great with full tred, much less so below 5mm though as we found out last season on wet snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skinutter,Le Feu Vert, which is next to the Champion hypermarche in Alberville, always has a good selection of winter tyres at reasonable prices but any of the chains such as Pneu96 will usually have good stocks especially in or near any mountain region.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Buy them on line from these guys or these guys. I got V rated Hankooks from them and saved myself a ton of money. They will deliver to a local garage who will mount them for you.

I had a look on toopneus and they have good prices on Alpin2, Vredstein and Hankooks. I got the Hankooks as they got great reviews for the money
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I paid £51 each last November for large snowtyres (225 r17's for a 4 wheel drive) from a small independant on the south coast where I live in the UK. I thought this was a pretty good deal but my French friends tell me they coud have got them cheaper, I did'nt check this out though. What I should have done is buy a set of old steel wheels to put the tyres on to make it simpler to switch back and keep them for next year, I was offered old steel wheels at the time for £5 each but declined on vanity grounds (did'nt look as nice as my alloys) The reality is that no-one notices and lots of people have the same arrangement in the mountains, old wheels on newer cars. DON'T FORGET THE SPARE
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yep thats true about steel rims...i'm just using the original (knackered) alloys and bought a new set of Audi alloys of ebay for......£80

Fraud attempts aside, you have just got to love eBay....if the seller really has no idea what they have for sale or their value you can get some great bargains. My garage looks like a local tyre firm there was until recently about 16 wheels and tyres spread across the two cars Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skinutter, Whatever you do, dont leave it to late! I did and you cant buy what you want much after December either here or in France. Pirelli only manufacture winter tyres in July (!?) and that's it!
The grief I had with winter tyres makes and warranty issues is well documented elsewhere on here Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin, good advice, we had friends who spent two days leisurley travelling down to see us last season and left it to the last 100km's to pick up some chains to find that no-one had any their size apart from one dealer in Thonon who was hideously expensive. As a footnote I would add that they broke on first use, possibly through his own actions due to misfitting but possibly because they were defective (we'll never know!!!), he paid over 100 euros for the chains and could'nt remember the name of the shop plus had no time at the end of the stay to go back and have a row over the blame and try for a refund, moral of the story is buy in the UK and practice putting them on (sorry I know we're supposed to be talking about snow tyres!)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy