Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lunch

Poster: A snowHead
What do you normally do for lunch on the slopes? Eat at a resturant on the slope, go back to the chalet or byo?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Eat at a restaurant, but not at lunchtime - by having a late lunch you can get quieter slopes between 12 and 2, and you don't have to cope with crowded restaurants.

If I'm having a really good time, sometimes I don't bother with lunch at all.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Normally eat at a resto on the slopes.

Have done a BBQ on the slopes in Vail a couple of seasons ago - that was fun!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a coffee stop, then a late lunch, especially when it gets a bit warmer and slushy in the afternoon.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If I'm skiing by myself it's normally a Mars bar or two on the chairlift. If skiing with others it can get a bit of an affair (especially if with the SCGB), but normally a bowl of soup and a roll (or some chips) is plenty enough. If touring either a bit of cheese and (probably only half) a roll, or you've often finished for the day by 2pm, so a bowl of pasta at the hut. Back to the chalet is a complete waste of valuable snowtime Mad .
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A nice lunchtime meal, outside if the weather is fine, can't be beaten. Whatever looks good on the menu. Also provides 45 mins nice rest.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lucnh sitting outside a mountain restaurant taking in the views and enjoyed a nice cold beer.

Generally have lunch quite early - 12-12.30 so we have the slopes to ourselves come 1pm.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My lunch breaks are similar to grahamN.

Soup, Roll and possibley a plate of chips plus a coke or bottle of water.

Don't drink alcohol at all whilst ski-ing.

Always lunch at resturant but I would try and plan my stop either before the rush or at a quieter resturant. For example early in the week mountain top resturants tend to be quieter becuase ski schools are still at the bottom. Then come the middle of the week the ski schools have moved up the mountain so it tends to be queiter at the base station.

Never take more than 1 hour for lunch.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Restaurant. Inside.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If I'm having a particularly good day (or the restaurant looks busy or the people I'm with are chronically slow eaters) I'll just ski through. I used to take loads of snacks with me but last season hardly ever bothered.

The problem with lunch is that I never ski as well afterwards as I did before so it's best to leave it as late as possible.

I only drink at lunchtime on the mountain if I'm skiing down and finishing straight afterwards.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If it's at all cold, inside. Learned a while ago that a nice day whilst skiing isn't necessarily nice when sat down stationary and eating. Good to get inside and keep warm. Normally like to just have a bowl of soup and bread, with some coke. No alcohol mid-day, unless not really intending to ski much in the afternoon, in which case a vin chaud - mmmmmmmmmmm, I'm feeling myself there already! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have to eat so always a lunch..anything , Rosti, spag bol, soup...!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Coffee is essential, to finish.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Take a packed lunch, so it can be eaten while riding lifts.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Usually mountain restaurant - and usually have the plat du jour or whatever the equivalent was in Austria - forgotten! Washed down with either beer, vin chaud or a hot chocolate depending on mood!!!
I need a decent break otherwise my sugar levels seem to dip and I get very grumpy and technique goes to pot!
snow report
Increasingly I like rather a fine lunch. In any case I need to eat frequently (but lightly).

If it's a full on powder day I'll grab burger/pasta/etc. Eaten on chair if it's really deep and fluffy.

If it's cold, wet, rainy and miserable I'll try and find my way to somewhere with a decent menu. I believe you can start at least as early as 11h00. I highly recommend La Terrasse in Lindarets: duck in honey sauce and a bottle or so of Mercurey. Maybe a little Rose or a Leffe as apero.

Poire is essential, to finish.
snow report
Elizabeth B, Going up and down in a gondola just to avoid "picnic interdit" seems a bit excessive Very Happy
ski holidays
Nick-o, grab a light snack at about 11, ski then until 2.30 - 3 and grab something. That avoid long delays and spend more time on slopes.
latest report
Generally we stop for lunch in one of the mountain restaurants. We did try taking rolls for a couple of days, but we wanted something warm in the end, so that didn't last. When skiing with the family, we try and stick to a tight budget as 5 adults gets very expensive. We usually opt for goulash soup or chips, and then suplement this with Mars bars and bread rolls eaten on the chair lifts Very Happy
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, we do that as well...the week starts off with large expensive plates of the local specialities in the main resataurant and rapidly turns into the dingy fast food bit underneath when (a) cash runs out and (b) we lose valuable snow time waiting Toofy Grin
latest report
We did a lot of skiing last season as a family and had resolved to make up sandwiches as 4xlunchxmany days = £££'s

Well that idea lasted all of 2 days!

Self and wife: soup and a roll.
Kids: Spag Bol, saussice/frites, whatever.
snow report
Mountain restaurant, on the slopes, on the terrace if possible. Wherever, if I go touring again.
latest report
Restaurant usually, nothing OTT, one course only and a glass or two. If I'm feeling very keen, just a Mars bar and a beer, but this is increasingly rare.
latest report
Lunch is for wimps! The only time I stop is to adjust the red braces on my salopettes. wink
snow conditions
I have done most of the these options.

Eating at a restaurant depends on the resort and the company I am in. SCGB usually means a lunch if you are skiing the afternoon with them. Fluealp at Zermatt with SCGB was absolutely fantastic -great band,great food,great views.

In places like Courchevel eating out of a knapsack is an attractive choice.

I have gone back to the apartment when I was a beginner in La Plagne - but at that stage I regarded it like a Summer holiday and the nursery slope was like the swimming pool just outside the front door. I never had any aspirations to move away from it either. I thought everything I needed was there.

I also went back to the Lodge when I skied at French PTT places. We started off taking huge packed lunches but then I saw the range and quality of scoff they were enjoying at lunch and there was a change of plan. One of our lot smashed himself up really badly and I was the interpretor to deal with the French medics. Two memories are, firstly looking in my schoolboy French dictionary to see he had apparently smashed his goldfish bowl ( I guessed it was his pelvis ) and, secondly, the guilty enjoyment of a really nice steak, thinking I would have to come down to lunch more often.
latest report
On a non-powder day whatever I fancy - definitely prefer cafeteria set ups though & experienced some of the worst waiter service of my life at the crummy hovel at Brevent mid mountain. On a powder day - cereal bars on the chair. Last big trip - lots of powder so usually a sandwich in the car while changing my boots.
ski holidays
chris,
Quote:

Lunch is for wimps! The only time I stop is to adjust the red braces on my salopettes.

I quite like whimps for lunch !!! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Quote:

If it's a full on powder day I'll grab burger/pasta/etc. Eaten on chair if it's really deep and fluffy.

I can manage a cereal bar (known in our family as squirrel sh*t biscuits) on a chairlift but am full of admiration for someone who can do pasta!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
...yeah that's ome hell of a chairlift: 5 mins for the water to boil, 10 mins to cook the pasta and 5 mins to eat?! Shocked
snow report
Ususally a mountain cafe (I would use the word restaurant advisedly), spag bol, soup and a roll usually two of coffee, beer, red wine, water, vin chaud, fizzy pop. Don't want to get in to the whole alcohol no alcohol sketch and whatever you choose is ok by me but I'm on holiday and I quite like a beer or wine at lunchtime.
snow conditions
Always eat on the slopes. OK, it costs more, but I'd rather be at 2500m eating pasta and knocking back beer than in the village Very Happy
ski holidays
johnboy, Yep, the only way after is up or down, which is the best option.
latest report
As the Mrs says we usually lunch early and have the slopes to ourselves when everyone else is in the scrum. Then we have a good afternoon break and ski till last lift.
latest report
It depends on the location. I skipped lunch in Whistler it was so bad. Usually outside in the sun, but at Christmas a warm cosy chalet is best. Usually eat early as kids get up late and won't have breakfast. I
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
johnboy, Yep, the only way after is up or down, which is the best option.

I quite like the ups with the downs and the downs with the ups. I think you need both that's the best option. Toofy Grin

UP down UP down UP down UP down UP down UP down UP down UP down UP down UP down UP down UP downUP down UP down UP down UP down UP down UP down UP down UP downUP down UP down UP down UP down

OH YES !! Shocked
snow report
You're an odd one Odin, Shocked I think you'll fit right in Very Happy
snow report
I'l fit right into WHAT exactly !!!!! Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Odin,

I think you'll make 10,000 posts no problem
ski holidays
johnboy wrote:
Odin,

I think you'll make 10,000 posts no problem

Yea . . . Just not sure i'll make tomorrow unless I stop drinking ! Going green
snow report
Nick-o, My favoured choice is normally soup of the day or goulasch soup, with a nice beer. However if I see it on the menu in Austria I just love a Tiroler Grostl, which is saute potatoes, lardons, herbs, and a fried egg topping, a sort of Austrian rosti. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy