Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vail Resorts switches to wind power

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Wind Powered Lift
Vail Resorts Inc. announced that it will buy enough renewable energy to cover electricity use for all of its ski areas and more making it second-largest corporate user of wind power in the US. The energy will cover power use at its five ski resorts, its lodging properties, all 125 retail locations operated through Specialty Sports Venture and its new corporate headquarters...
To do this, the company will buy about 152,000 megawatt hours of wind-power credits from Boulder-based Renewable Choice Energy. Vail will not actually be powered by wind, but the credits will pump more wind energy into the nation's electric grid, reducing the amount of coal and natural gas used.

Vail owns and operates Vail, Beaver Creek, Keystone and Breckenridge ski areas in Colorado, and Heavenly in Nevada and California, and Grand Teton Lodge Co. near Jackson, Wyoming, making it the second-largest ski operator in North America, after Intrawest Corp., based in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Vail is also offering free lift tickets to people who go to its Web site, www.snow.com and agree to buy wind power for a year.

Rival ski area operator, Aspen Skiing Co., announced plans last March to go 100 percent "green" at its four Colorado ski areas.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Seems like a pretty great idea to me. I keep reading criticisms about wind power, the most recent that a turbine was interfering with television reception during the world cup, and that it isnt really all that viable an alternative. Against this I recall reading about one of the Institutes of Tech here in Irl that derives about 50% of its energy from a single wind turbine on its campus. Its usually as windy as hell here, and I really cant understand why more use isnt made of it, but i would love to see more! So hats off to Vail resorts, I hope it works out for them and that more companies follw suit...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A mainly symbolic move - but symbols are important...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just a thought Puzzled

if we fitted a stack of wind turbines in Scotland on the North Coast. Then powered these from the National grid could we 'drive' Britain onto the North Coast of France - therby making our climate warmer and having less far to journey to SKI ?

On a more serious note -
When i was at college during the 90's it was calculated that with the technology available at the time it was quite possible to power the WHOLE of the UK solely on wind power (subject to building enough sites)

Any attempt at using 'renewable' energy is to be welcomed. Coal and gas fired generation are a great waste of valuable resources. And who wants to live close to Nuclear power stations. (quick Joke - Why shouldn't you buy underpants from Russia ? because Chernobal fall out !! Laughing )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Seems to me a notional way of showing that the resort is green. Bottom line is that it isn't using renewables itself. In practice, wind power would be quite unsuitable on those beautiful blue-sky, windless days so often featured in the brochures. Actually, they would also be quite useless on such days where they actually are. I think some renewables are in with a shout at being useful. Hydro-electric for a start (though it is not without environmental side-effects), and, to some extent tidal power. But wind genrators have to have alternative power supply on short-notice stand-by, and cover an enormous area for any sensible power output. I think politicians like them, because they are conspicuous symbols, But they are little, if any, real benefit to the environment.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick Zotov,

They sometimes chop up passing seaguls - I like that Twisted Evil

they annoy Janet-Street-porter - I like that even more Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Odin wrote:
they annoy Janet-Street-porter - I like that even more Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

That's good enough reason to do anything in my book. Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would have thought it an option at the Lecht and possibly Glenshee where proximty to overhead power lines, lift pylones and at glenshee a lack of mains power, would provide a good context for a medium scale scheme. However there may be problems of turblence which limit the size of generators possible.

Micro hydro may also be suitable at some of the scottish Centres. At Aonach Mor the runoff from the hill alreday goes straight into the catchment for the Aluminium power station.

Our new office here in the Dales is heated by a ground source pump and the under floor heating works superbly. That seems to me to be an ideal way to generate space heating at a ski resort, particularly if the cost of running the pumps could be offset by wind or hydro.

The issue however is investment costs.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy