Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should heli-skiing be banned internationally? Time for the FIS to act?

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar.org.uk,

Thats about right.... You might want to ban piste bashers before helicopters on account of there being zillions more of them and they push out a lot of gunk as well. I'd go for this one first.. Laughing

I think it is indeed about people thinking they have ' made a difference' and feeling rather pleased with themselves rather than actually making any relavant difference. I'd ban lorries through the Mont Blanc tunnel and the like or make train transporting those said lorries so much cheaper and therefore attractive first. If that worked and made a difference then I'd pursue the token offerings.
Out of all the flights in the mountains by Helis, how many are for heli-skiing...? You might find that rescue, marketing and building take up far more flights.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rob, it would be a symbolic sacrificial initiative by the governing body of our sport. If the FIS don't buy the idea, then it would be interesting to hear from them (or yourself) some other initiatives that would say "We're skiers, we understand the gravity of climate change. This is a symbolic contribution to the solution."

Tim, yes, I'd like trains to be increasingly powered by renewable energy. No, I won't stop using them because a proportion of their power comes from nuclear. What do you want, blood?

I'm away for a couple of days. I wish you a stimulating debate!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If the FIS is going to get involved with the environamental debate, I'd rather see it do something useful like campaign for all skiers and boarders to use low-energy lightbulbs in their homes rather than get involved in tokenistic arguments about fringe activities, no matter how distasteful some people find those minority practices.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Rob, it would be a symbolic sacrificial initiative by the governing body of our sport.

No, it would be an actual sacrifice by those who make a living from heli-skiing, and those who's life passion is heli-skiing. The old men who govern FIS would be sacrificing very little!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith wrote:

Tim, yes, I'd like trains to be increasingly powered by renewable energy. No, I won't stop using them because a proportion of their power comes from nuclear. What do you want, blood?

A 'proportion'! Come now, David, it's a huge proportion. The fact is, you can't say nuclear power is 'unacceptable' while all the time being a consumer of it. Your position is untenable and needs to be totally revised.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Rob, it would be a symbolic sacrificial initiative by the governing body of our sport.

The FIS isn't the governing body of recreational skiing, is it?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tim Brown wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:

There is no governing body for recreational skiing, although I suspect that some people might like there to be Wink Is there any recreational activity which has a governing body? I'm off on holiday tomorrow - do you think I need a "sight-seeing" governing body?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar.org.uk, Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith wrote:

Symbolic? Now I'm a little confused as to what your position is, because you have also stated:

"the environmental impact per skier is very significant."

Have you now totally revised your position?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tim Brown wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:

Symbolic? Now I'm a little confused as to what your position is, because you have also stated:

I'm sure that carbon emissions per heli-skier is much greater than skiing lift-served terrain, but the number of skiers who "indulge" in heli-skiing is so small as to make very little impact compared to, say, the number of people who leave their TV's on standby.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tim Brown wrote:

That's quite right, it isn't. FIS was formed to regulate competitive skiing.

However, in certain areas it could be said that national governments have accepted that FIS speaks for skiing as a whole. One example is the way national or state legislatures have incorporated the "skiing code of conduct" established by FIS many years ago ( http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/rulesandpublications/fisgeneralrules/10fisrules.html ) into legislation such as the Colorado Ski Safety Act ( http://www.dora.state.co.us/tramway/SkiSafetyAct.pdf - scroll down to clause 33-44-109, Duties of Skiers). I don't know of similar ski safety legislation in the Alpine countries, but I'm sure they have it - perhaps Snowheads who live in those countries could oblige.

Of course FIS cannot "ban" heli-skiing - it has no jurisdiction in any country. But a statement saying that FIS did not endorse heli-skiing would be massively influential in possibly bringing about legislation similar to France's in other countries. This would be just one step, but it would send out an important signal that skiing is serious about trying to be low-impact.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Tim Brown wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:

I'm sure that carbon emissions per heli-skier is much greater than skiing lift-served terrain, but the number of skiers who "indulge" in heli-skiing is so small as to make very little impact compared to, say, the number of people who leave their TV's on standby.

Yes, it would be a symbolic move - but symbols are important in the modern world of instant communications. The message would be that FIS was aiming to reduce pollution by the largest amount possible, while impacting the smallest possible number of skiers.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And while we're putting the world to rights, let's ban 2-stroke snowmobiles Very Happy
People should be forced to buy the new cleaner 4-stroke machines: http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/outdoors/1278041.html
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well Martin, I'm glad someone finally got around to pointing out the fact that the FIS have no power what-so-ever to ban heli-skiing. As you say, they could influence a country's stance on heli-skiing, but it would then lie with that country's governing powers. They would of course be interested in the economic impact of putting plenty of people out of jobs.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And on the front of flights, let's take a couple skiing in Whistler as an example.

IMPORTANT: Please note that this is hypothetical as currently the UK and Canada are not joined so it would be impossible to drive from London to Vancouver, but using it as an example for distances only. This is also biased towards the car as it also assumes that it would be able to take a route as direct as the plane.

They fly from Heathrow to Vancouver with British Airways, who operate Boeing 747-400s on that route. Now a Boeing 747 uses about 1 gallon of fuel per second Shocked . Or 5 gallons per mile (so, 0.2 miles per gallon Evil or Very Mad ). Not good some of you are saying. Let's consider that the 747 is only three-quarters full, so there are about 315 passengers aboard. London-Vancouver is 4,725 miles. 4,725 miles = 23,625 gallons of fuel. Between those 315 passengers, that is 75 gallons each. So, for that couple, 150 gallons. Assuming they have a typical saloon car (say a VW Passat - which does 28.2 mpg), then they would use 167.6 gallons of fuel to reach Vancouver from London by driving - 17.6 gallons more than flying Which equates to 496.32 miles worth of fuel in their car (more than enough to make up for transfers at either end).

So, fly long haul, it's good for the environment! Very Happy

I have used the following sources to gather the necessary data:
www.ba.com / www.boeing.com / answers.google.com / www.indo.com / www.volkswagon.co.uk
latest report
skisimon, keep heliskiiing, ban randonee except for vegetarians:

http://bicycleuniverse.info/transpo/beef.html
latest report
comprex wrote:
except for vegetarians:

As long as they lay off those baked beans...
http://marine.usgs.gov/fact-sheets/gas-hydrates/title.html
snow report
JT wrote:
You might want to ban piste bashers

or, to put it another way, "STOP THE BRUTAL GROOMING"?
snow report
Now there's something I'd vote for!
snow report
Martin Bell, I know the 4 stroke snowmobile is better for the environment etc. however it doesn't do the job in the backcountry half as well as the 2 stroke machines, as the 4 stroke machines are heavier, don't have the same grunt/characteristics, and are balanced all wrong.

Much time is spent digging out 4 stroke machines in the backcountry.
ski holidays
Martin Bell wrote:
[Yes, it would be a symbolic move - but symbols are important in the modern world of instant communications.

I agree that an eye-catching message is important, but if that symbolic gesture is also clearly tokenistic it contributes little to the winning of hearts and minds. In this case I think that not only would banning heli-skiing contribute little to reducing carbon emissions, but it would be counter-productive because of the sense of injustice it would breed among skiers who you'd hope have more than a passing interest in the whole climate change debate. This sense of injustice might even make other more significant carbon-reducing measures more difficult. For example, I've never heliskied, and I don't thinkI ever will, but I object to the notion that some people will have to make real sacrifices in order that the FIS could trumpet a symbolic gesture. If the FIS think that banning heliskiing is a sensible proposition, why on earth would I respect any other advice it offers?
ski holidays
Martin Bell wrote:
"STOP THE BRUTAL GROOMING"?

In a resort out of season I was amazed at the earth moving equpiment and the state of the 'roads' they were making that would become a piste in the winter. It had full drainage and almost a type 1 finish to the run.

I thought that was way way over the top but maybe they thought they were justified making this hideous scar as flat as possible so that costs in the winter would be lower regarding maintaining a minimum snow cover to keep it in skiable condition.

I've driven on worst tarmaced surfaces, I'm certain. Thats my interpretation on brutal grooming. I know its a fine line commercially but I'd serverly hamper what resorts could do.. In fact I would favour a resort approach of putting in one lift and not pisting it at all. This would save on bashing costs...then you could say that heli skiing is beyond the pale... IMV
latest report
JT wrote:
In fact I would favour a resort approach of putting in one lift and not pisting it at all.
Then every resort would be like La Grave.....woooot! (as I understand they say who are young and hip)

In absolute terms I'm sure that lift systems must contribute more to CO2 emissions than heli-skiing - and it's the absolute emissions tonnage which is actually the thing that matters to the environment, rather than emissions per skier. At present heli-skiing is such a minority pasttime that I agree with rob@rar.org.uk - any such ban would be simple tokenism and subject any such move to ridicule.

I would happily use the train if flights were a load more expensive, but at present whenever I've tried using trains, flights ended up being cheaper and (the actual decider) much more convenient.
snow conditions
I am beginning to think that providing a train system, in whole-system cost terms, is goppingly expensive. Of course, airlines do not pay VAT on fuel. But even if they did, and that were added to the cost of the flights, they would still be way way cheaper than train tickets, particularly if all subsidy were removed form the train services and infrastructure. The in-your-face example is Eurotunnel, the cost of which will probably never be recovered for its investors. The costs elsewhere are made murky bu government activity. Bizarrely, in the UK, the government chose to make rail travel even more expensive for many travellers by charging for rail franchises - effectively a tax on rail travel.
snow conditions
Quote:

How should UK skiers who don't live close to an international rail terminal get to their chosen ski resort?

Well the way I do it from Aberdeen is i take the train to Cambridge where I meet up with friends - we then fill 3 cars and drive to the french resorts.
ski holidays
(
Quote:

Assuming they have a typical saloon car (say a VW Passat - which does 28.2 mpg),

That happens to be one of the cars we use, but a diesel and on the journey to france and back we average 40-45mpg with a roof box.

Also I think the arguement is aginst short haul rather than long haul.
ski holidays
Presumably planes use the most fuel in the climb to cruise so the longer the journey the better as far as overall efficiency is concerned.
Generally speaking larger planes are more efficient than smaller ones so maybe we should all stop flying 737s into Geneva and demand 747s instead.
snow report
I'm also putting my time where my keyboard is Smile as I'm coming down to London for a rollerski race on Sunday 13th August. My first thought was the sleeper, but they don't run on Saturday night. Flights wise I could have got the first flight from aberdeen to gatwick which would have got me in in time for the 1030am race start and then flown back in the evening, but i decided that was just too ecologically unsound so I'm now getting the overnight megabus down and back. Hopefullly I'll actually be in a fit state to race wink after the journey. The megabus is better on timings - as it gets in earlier and its cheaper Very Happy .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Getting back to the topic ( wink ), you might be interested in the comments David's similar thread has stirred up in epicski.
ski holidays
Dave Horsley, okay, you've got me. The argument doesn't necessarily hold up against diesels and it is a better picture if you use long-haul over short-haul, but the idea was to prove that flying is nowhere near as ecologically destructive as some would have us believe. The 737s that are flying most European routes will be the newer kind using newer engine technology etc. making them more fuel efficient, however, as stated, per passenger it will still be worse than a 747 (or even the A380, which will be huge and have new, efficient technology).

I do however support the taxation of aviation fuel as was suggested about a month ago at the EU parliament.

On the subject of heli-skiing, I think I come down on the same side as most here, following the same argument as rob@rar.org.uk, that it would be a tokenistic gesture with bug-ger all actual impact on the environment as so little of it goes on in the grand scheme of things. Unlike a 747 though, it's not overly fuel efficient.
snow conditions
No
ski holidays
Some good points on the epic board:
What about recreational private aircraft and helicopter flying.
What about scenic flights in light aircraft and helicopters?
What about Cruise Liners just wandering the oceans, burning fuel, so that the rich can drink their G&Ts in a new port every night.

What about the fact that the heli skiing takes place in powder with zero ground contact...ie reduced impact.

What about grooming the pistes every night with huge deisal powered bashers (we've all seen the huge exhaust plumes they throw out).

You mentioned 1.5 tons of CO2/hr from helis....reality check: Helis dont even burn that amount of raw fuel in an hour (well maybe a big military Chinook does), so how could one of the by products weigh that much?

Sorry David but your on thin ice with this whole idea.
snow report
David Goldsmith, shifting slightly to the fly/drive/train debate... my parents come over to Peisey-Vallandry to vivist me fairly regularly and "Asked The Expert" on the Telegraph, about the green way to travel. here is the detail :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plane or car: which is the green way to go?

Jackie and Bob Nicholson write from Ashbourne:

We travel to the French Alps regularly to visit our son, either flying to Lyon or Geneva, or driving from Derbyshire. Our car does about 48 miles per gallon. Time and cost aside, are we being more environmentally friendly by driving all the way or would we do better to fly? We have had conflicting advice.

Gill replies:

There has been a lot of talk in the press about airlines and their CO2 emissions polluting the skies, but, as you say, finding reliable figures is not easy. A spokesman for the environmental group Friends of the Earth (FoE) told me: "Going by train is by far the best way to travel long distances." He quoted comparative figures for a 300-mile journey from London to Manchester.

By train a single person would create 13kg of CO2, by car 53kg (in a mid-sized vehicle) and by air 99kg. Case closed, I thought - until I started looking into the distance aspect a bit more.

These calculations, made by a government advisory body, the Commission for Integrated Transport, are more revealing than FoE lets on. If you travel from London to Edinburgh by car, the figure is 112kg; if you travel by air, it is 126kg. Suddenly the difference doesn't seem so great. This is because the bulk of the C02 emissions are released on take-off and landing.

A Dutch study for an environmental group, Climate Action Network Europe, tried to factor in every variable on an 805-mile journey from Amsterdam to Rome and concluded that the most eco-friendly way to travel between two cities is by coach (31kg), followed by train (87kg), plane (153kg) and, worst, car (154kg).

One thing that scientists do not seem to agree on is whether or not it is more damaging to emit CO2 at altitude than at ground level.

Your journey from Derbyshire to the French Alps near Geneva is about 750 miles, similar to the Rome example; so, if you want to be really eco-friendly, you should take the Eurostar to Lyon and hire a car from there.

As for the plane-versus-car debate, it would appear - and I would be delighted to hear from scientists who know what they're talking about - that there isn't a great deal of difference.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it looks like you're on the money taking the train. Very Happy

But.... I do think you're making, ahem, a mountain out of a mole-hill with the heli-skiing eco-warrior bit to be honest....
snow conditions
I presume the figures produced are based on all the seats in a train/plane being fully occupied. Precumably it is also more eco friendly to take a slow rather than a fast train.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, lord knows! I just thought poor old DG was getting a pasting for his "anti-heliskiing liberation front" stance and would welcome some good news on his chosen travel choice!
latest report
I suppose if you are that eco friendly then hike locally to where you live as skiing is an obvious environmental no-no.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I do. (well, I walk leisurely)
snow conditions
rungsp, in your mass balances you need to allow for the oxygen consumed in the combustion process. Petroleum fuel is effectively n*(CH2) (OK for the pedants amongst us, the '2' bit is maybe a bit variable, alkanes push it up a bit, but the aromatics pull it down a bit, and there's probably a bit of S in there too). This basic repeat unit has atomic weight 14, and burns to n*CO2 (atomic weight 44) + n*H2O (atomic weight 18 ). So 1 tonne of petroleum fuel will release approx 3.1 tonnes of CO2 and 1.3 tonnes of water. Don't know whether this would make up the discrepancy in the heli fuel mass consumption or not - as I don't know how much the heli consumes.
ski holidays
GrahamN, gosh!
Point taken.
snow conditions
flying_squirrel, intersting figures, plane v train v car. It's a pity that usually the train is the most expensive way to travel a long distance.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy