Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should heli-skiing be banned internationally? Time for the FIS to act?

Poster: A snowHead
davidof wrote:
There are maybe less rare species of wildlife trying to hibernate or eek out a fragile existence in the rigours of an alpine winter in the French mountains than at Monaco (which, incidentally is not part of France). Species that would be disturbed by unfettered heliskiing. The Charteuse regional park, where I live, has asked ski tourers and snowshoers to avoid some routes in the area as they are important hibernation grounds for wild birds. Imagine the impact that helicopter activity has.

Although I disagree with banning heliskiing simply because of climate change concerns, I have no problem with banning helicopters from landing on terrain which might lead to significant disturbance to the local fauna and flora. This seems entirely sensible, as is, for example, banning skiing from certain areas of the off-piste which is accessible by ski lifts within the Les Arcs domain. That seems a sensible balance between allowing recreational activity without constraints and protecting the interests of animals who otherwise might be threatened by unregulated winter sports.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On those criteria the universal ban of heli-skiing in France might be substantially lessened, and a more laissez-faire attitude would probably prevail across the Alps generally.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof wrote:
.....has asked ski tourers and snowshoers to avoid some routes in the area as they are important hibernation grounds for wild birds.

Hibernating birds? Puzzled Shocked If anyone finds a bird hibernating in the Alps, it'll be big news.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Hibernating birds? If anyone finds a bird hibernating in the Alps, it'll be big news.

The only Bird's* I've seen hibernating in the Alp's are the ones that got too 'tired and emotional' Apes Ski and couldn't get out of bed before lunch. Laughing

[*Apologies for the use of the sexist term 'birds' to mean Totty ] Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Odin wrote:

The only Bird's* I've seen hibernating in the Alp's are the ones that got too 'tired and emotional' Apes Ski

Those apes will need protecting as well Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Martin Bell, Laughing Laughing

'Tis an honour to be 'japed' by you Sir.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Odin, Huh, fat nobody's from North Yorkshire not good enough for you now wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman,

Yep, you will always be good enough for me ! NehNeh
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Odin, Good lad Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Red Leon wrote:
davidof wrote:
.....has asked ski tourers and snowshoers to avoid some routes in the area as they are important hibernation grounds for wild birds.

Hibernating birds? :~/ :shock: If anyone finds a bird hibernating in the Alps, it'll be big news.

Maybe I don't understand your comment but as an example the tétras-lyre, they build nests under the snow and rarely come out of them during the winter. Noise from helicopters or passing skiers can disturb them causing them to waste precious energy (as there is almost nothing for them to eat) which can mean the difference between life and death. Other animals are also very sensitive to disturbance when foodstuffs are in very short supply.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
im not too sure about this eco train love in thing.. how much land is taken up running a high speed raillink from london to the alps.. how much steel is made.. how many of those lovly eco friendly concrete sleepers? how much gravel is quarried, plus the bridges tunnels embankments etc.. sure airports arnt pretty but you have say 2 miles of tarmac at either end of the journey, the terminal buildings and a great big car park.. i would hazard a guess that the stations and parking facilities alone on a 800 odd mile railway use up more space and building materials.. trains may be a lot of things but eco friendly they aint.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof,

Maybe a question of semantics.
Birds can spend a day or two in torpor to escape particularly bad weather but, to the best of my knowledge, only one bird - the common poorwill - hibernates and even that's believed to be for only very short periods. However, if I'm mistaken, you have my apologies and I stand corrected.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CANV CANVINGTON, shhh, you're not supposed to ask questions like that, trains are good things. They run on positive brainwaves and float gently above the ground without disturbing the local flora and fauna.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier, And you should get on and off as quietly as possible to avoid disturbing hibernating Train Spotters !! Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CANV CANVINGTON, Good point. I suppose it's a question of balancing the long-term production of greenhouse gases. Perhaps it does require more initial energy (and therefore produces more CO2) to build a railway line. But maybe less energy in the long term. And as long as the electricity to run the train is produced cleanly (eg. wind, tidal, hydro, solar) then the train is probably the lesser of three evils (planes, trains, automobiles) in the long term.
But not having researched the energy required to build a high-speed rail line (and stations), I couldn't say how many years it would be until the train would "pay for itself" environmentally.
The only other alternative is not to travel at all...
snow conditions
Red Leon wrote:
davidof, Maybe a question of semantics.

Well I have to confess to not being a twitcher. So if you prefer:

The Tetra Lyre is an example of one of a number of Alpine species that is sensitive to disturbance in the winter. It spends around 90% of its time in a torpid state in a nest burrowed beneath the snow. Completely unrestricted heli or even backcountry access would have an effect on a number of alpine plant and animal species.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy