Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Improvement holidays

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
Right - this year I am going to plan my holiday in advance - hence the research starts!

I have snowboarded for 2 weeks - and feel pretty damn competent on reds, nervous on blacks and petrified when its icy.
I want to dramatically improve next season and would like an instructor led holiday to really ensure my technique is good and push me on.

Have seen 2/3 week improvement/performance camps/holidays with the following 3 companies:
http://www.basecampgroup.com/da/11617
http://www.powder-trip.com
http://www.nonstopsnowboard.com/

Anyone done anything similar?
Know any of these companies?
Any advice on what to look for when picking which one to go with?

The only things at the moment that I feel strongly about aren't actually related to the snowboarding side of things. I want to go over the Atlantic - as I want guaranteed powder
and superior accomodation - also would like to go early season...

So anyone out there that can share any useful advice????
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountain mad, "guaranteed powder" is like free lunches. There ain't no such thang.

You can increase your probability of being so gifted by going to Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, etc. But nothing is guaranteed...

(Just want to make sure your expectations are in line with reality...)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David - you're right - but anecdotal evidence!!!!!
Is it just marketing that has convinced me that places like Fernie are powder heavens????
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountain mad, some of it is marketing.

No such thing as guaranteed powder. Weather way too unpredictable. But if you're going for 2-3 weeks, you should get some decent stuff in each week or for some of it...and if you don't the locals will say, "it's the first time in living memory that there hasn't been at least one face shot day a week", etc.

You might find the snow quality generally better though. Even without a mammoth dump we thought the snow in Utah - described as average over there was "better" than "average" snow in much of Europe. I assume something to do with drier conditions when the snow forms/falls.

I'd go with the course that is most aligned with your goals though (maybe). Also costs and ease of transport (although when you're taking a 10 hour flight anyway...)

P.S. Nonstop are based in the serviced offices I occupy and seem like a very professional and likeable bunch.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountain mad, there is only one answer to your question go on a mcnab course.
As much as i hate the fact that you pay through the nose for his courses he is THE best and you will learn absolutely tons and tons.

goodluck

alternatively just do a season, you'll progress massively riding for at least 100 days
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mountain mad wrote:
David - you're right - but anecdotal evidence!!!!!
Is it just marketing that has convinced me that places like Fernie are powder heavens????

Ask anyone who was there season of 2004/5 including those who'd gone for the season with non stop ski how many powder days they had compared to rain/boilerplate days!
I believe the more commonly used slogan that the resort chose not to use was "allegedly powder"
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, oooh. Nasty.

Out of a long list of bad skiing experiences two rank quite high:

Most expensive - paying for a 7 day heliski trip and having 6 (!!) down days. We were 6 hours drive from anywhere. Drank the bar dry. Ended up practising abseiling from the rafters we were SOOOOOO BORED!!!!!!!!! It has to be said that the prior year we had set the company record for the most vertical in a day in a "standard" heli - i.e. 2 groups of 11 skiers.

An odd day in the PDS in (I think) 1989 when it started raining in the evening (a common PDS occurrence) and stopped precipitating just as the air reached freezing point. Literally overnight the mountains went from white to blueish grey. Sheet ice from top (2,600m) to bottom (1,000m). I took a group out and while I was having fun on my newly sharpened and wickedly rigid 7SKs (the original turquoise ones...) my clients were somewhat less than impressed. An early and large lunch ensued...

Basically, mountain mad, nothing is guaranteed. And why would you want to be able to board powder anyway? That's the easiest thing in the world on a board (allegedly). You really need somewhere where they'll teach you to ride ice, bumps, crud, etc. Cos' once you can do all that, powder will come naturally.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Snowangel - have called McNab and a brochure is winging its way to me!

Nothing is guaranteed - but good to have the odds stacked in your favour!!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been on a McNab course - they're damn good if a touch pricey. As you've only done a couple of weeks it might be worth waiting until you have some more riding under your belt.
I can recommend that if you fancy heading to Courchevel get in touch with RTM Snowboarding, they are very, very good instructors and I'm sure a few days with them would improve your technique no end. They have specific clinics for thinsg like steep terrain, freestyle, off-piste etc as well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My wife and I went on the 11 week Nonstop (Ski) course in Fernie this year (2006).

It was generally very well organised (apart from some of the trips to other resorts) and, although there was only "typical" snowfall, it was more than we'd seen in our lives! The main problem with weather was that massive dumps of snow were often followed by rain, but the bluebird morning following a big dump that we skied the Red Tree run really was powder heaven! Very Happy

The instruction was superb and the runs tough - so long as you get the snow you will improve massively (snow's not guaranteed anywhere, but Fernie got more than most in Canada last season).

The only real downside was having to come back to work in the UK... Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all...
Looks like we will go for the McNab one due to funds...
Board4Life - they are doing a special beginner course in Jan which is aimed at people like me with little or no experience!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If they're doing a specific beginner one then that should be spot on! You'll have a blast and it should set your technique up right for many years to come. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy