Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

21st Dec beginner resort recommendation snow sure.

Poster: A snowHead
Long time reader first time poster. Great forum.

Ok so we are a family of four. 2 beginner teenagers one intermediate and one non skier. We are looking to go 21st Dec for 1 week. Don't have a massive budget but can stretch if needed. Really would like to go somewhere snow sure for those dates as is my kids first ski holiday both very fit and athletic and would like them to get a good experience. I have trawled through websites and read all the forums etc... I honestly dont know anymore where to go. I like the look of Meribel, 3 valleys, La Plagne and maybe Val Thorens. My wife wont be skiing so need her to be happy too (will try and convince her to have a few days on the slopes. But if not would be nice if she can go walking into town/spa or something.... I would really appreciate any guidance anyone can give to point me in the right direction for resort or even possibly any good recommendations for hotel/apartment etc.

Thanking you all in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The places that you list are not cheap, La Plagne is probably a bit cheaper than the 3V but not that much in it. For high snow surety with lowish prices, Val Cenis is probably one of the best options in France. 6 day lift pass is currently 229 euro for those dates if bought now. I have found accommodation to be very good value as well there. Not up to date on prices in Austria and Italy. Not sure how good it would be for a non-skier, there are some pleasant marked snow show walks through the valley. While its not a purpose built resort, its not the largest or the prettiest town to explore
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Robair,
What is your budget? That is Xmas week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mmmm budget thats a difficult one dont want to scrimp as it our only holiday this year and first one skiing for the teenagers. So excluding liftpasses etc but for flight and accomodation am thinking around 6/7k euros which we are based in Ireland think that equates to around 5/6k Sterling. It is a long time since I was skiing and I have come to realise I need to adjust my expectations when it comes to budget.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not sure how it works budget wise as we don't ski at Christmas but have a look at Zell am See. Spent Christmas there as a teenager and loved it. Also skied again in 2022 with a group aged 8 to 70 and enjoyed it then too.

Nice town for the non skier with the lake and a spa in the leisure centre (a bigger one also in Kaprun). Easy access from Salzburg airport.

Skiing I've found a good mix from beginner blues to easier top to bottom mountain blacks*

* all assume good weather and snow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Welcome to SH,

I think you might have left it a bit late given your requirements (which are all very sensible).

Christmas week will be busy + expensive - the higher mainstream resorts should definitely have snow but I wouldn't risk somewhere like Morzine, Zell, Saalbach (all pretty / nice towns with access to some excellent skiing) so far out ...

Given your wife won't be skiing, I'd be veering towards the Dolomites - why? Stunning scenery, lovely towns, best snow-making system in the Alps, great food / wine etc - plus it's Italy, what's not to like? Have a look at St Cristina or Ortisei to start with. I'd look at both hotels and AirBnB.

Good luck.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would say Saalbach would be ideal.

1. I think it's one of the best resorts anywhere to learn to ski, with a wide variety of beginner terrain that one can progress on/up/through, especially around Kohlmais and Bernkogel areas
2. Strong snow record at Christmas (definitely not the same boat as Morzine) but extensive snowmaking just in case
3. Number of hotels with pools and spas for your wife, plus walking trails and easy access to eg Salzburg for day trips for her

Another good option would be Kitzbühel - would definitely have more to do for your wife but probably scores worse than Saalbach for beginners and Christmas snow record

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 18-10-24 15:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Big fan of Saalbach (not withstanding my Zell comments above). We have skied there in March last three seasons and the snow making has meant other than a few runs everything was open despite the challenges of high temps (24) or lack of snow (23). We are heading back to the region for 4 weeks in Jan this year.

Hotel Die Sonne would be a hotel recommendation for spa facilities and they have a taxi service to lifts for hotel guests. All inclusive too if a known cost is important to you. Would be on the more expensive side though.

Hope you find something!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you’re travelling independently, I found there can be huge saving by contacting hotels directly, instead of for example the booking.com price. No negotiating or bartering required, they just offer it as they’re not paying a wedge to the middleman. This just happened for us with an Arosa hotel.

Booking.com, Expedia etc are not necessarily the cheapest route.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Robair wrote:
Long time reader first time poster. Great forum.

Ok so we are a family of four. 2 beginner teenagers one intermediate and one non skier. We are looking to go 21st Dec for 1 week. Don't have a massive budget but can stretch if needed. Really would like to go somewhere snow sure for those dates as is my kids first ski holiday both very fit and athletic and would like them to get a good experience. I have trawled through websites and read all the forums etc... I honestly dont know anymore where to go. I like the look of Meribel, 3 valleys, La Plagne and maybe Val Thorens. My wife wont be skiing so need her to be happy too (will try and convince her to have a few days on the slopes. But if not would be nice if she can go walking into town/spa or something.... I would really appreciate any guidance anyone can give to point me in the right direction for resort or even possibly any good recommendations for hotel/apartment etc.

Thanking you all in advance

I don't know how much different places cost at Christmas but personally I wouldn't go with the resorts you have listed.
They are very large ski domains the vast majority of which your children will not be able to use as beginners however good they are for advanced skiers .As such they tend to command premium prices but give you no advantage over smaller areas. Furthermore they are not really very appealing places for non skiers being purpose built for skiing.
The combination of non skiers, snow sure budget and Xmas means that no place is likely to be ideal but compromises will need to be made in some areas.
Nowadays with modern snowmaking most resorts of reasonable altitude are likely to be able to get you skiing late December though in a poor snow year it might be on strips of snow surrounded by brown/green fields.
There are more modestly priced French resorts in the Maurienne valley with a decent snow record and plenty of skiing such as Val Cenis though they may not all appeal to a non skier.
Italy has great food and some relatively cheaper skiing in the Aosta valley.
Courmayeur is a very pleasant small town though a bit pricier than elsewhere in the valley.
The Dolomites are stunningly attractive though definitely a bit pricier.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So many folk asking basically the same question, where can I go for Christmas that wont cost too much and will have snow? The answer is - no such place exists. Though Christmas week is not as expensive as New Year it is definitely not low season. Given your requirements I would not go to the usual high French spots as not ideal for non skiers. Switzerland is too expensive. Dolomites might be an option in one of the larger villages (less likely to be natural snow but excellent snow making). Saalbach or Ski Amade might be options in Austria (both have fairly easy access to Salzburg for day trips). Wherever you choose book soon but be aware the snow might not arrive in time for Christmas.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Robair, sadly you won't have first choice of anything booking now for this Xmas. Sad

But you should be able to find something. Very Happy

There are quite disparate requirements with beginners and a non-skier in tow. I agree the big French mega-resorts you mentioned will be unnecessary and expensive for the beginners and offer little of interest for your wife.

As you are from RoI, which airports can you fly to from your local airport? Availability & price. There are 1000s of resorts across Europe, that will narrow things down.

Are you looking for a package holiday where the flights, accommodation & transfers are all included and there'll be a rep on hand in resort pointing you which way to go? Or are you wanting to DIY and sort all the different elements yourself? You might know if there are ski tour ops offering flights out of RoI??

What sort of transfers would you consider? Group transfer bus, Public transport (train/bus), private taxi, self-drive car hire?? Again, this will narrow things down.

You will need to check there is availability your chosen week for the kids in Ski School before you book. Bear in mind Ski School is usually geared to Saturday arrivals starting on Sunday. Accommodation is usually Sat-Sat too during peak weeks.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 18-10-24 23:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Robair wrote:
mmmm budget thats a difficult one dont want to scrimp as it our only holiday this year and first one skiing for the teenagers. So excluding liftpasses etc but for flight and accomodation am thinking around 6/7k euros which we are based in Ireland think that equates to around 5/6k Sterling. It is a long time since I was skiing and I have come to realise I need to adjust my expectations when it comes to budget.

Hmm, a lot more expensive paying for 4 than just yourself!! Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Aer Lingus Dublin-Verona 21-28 Dec around £270pp

Car hire £200-250 per week. Check Skyscanner.

I found this apartment right next to nursery slope in Selva:

Cesa Rives

This one is cheaper, but a bit smaller and further to walk:

Cedepuent
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Robair, well, I only stick my head above the parapet, because of the frequent mentions of Saalbach, and because I have an empty rental apartment available there for Christmas week (best possible location incidentally). Message me if interested.
snow report
Ryanair flies to Turin from Dublin and Shannon on those dates and prices aren't too bad. That gives you a good range of options in Italy within 90 mins to 2 hours from Turin.
I think 6k to 7k euro is a pretty healthy budget for flights, accommodation and transport if you DIY even for that week.
ski holidays
Loads of Xmas week availablity.

I’m going to les Menuires this year on that date. Have also done La plagne and via lattea over Xmas before.

Try Sunweb. And source flights separately.

I think early on in season my rule is stay 1800m plus. Though that was scuppered last year anyway .. haha
ski holidays
@Robair,
Val D'Isere. Tignes.
snow report
@Robair, I'll say the usual - have you considered going at "Easter" - or rather when schools break up.

As per other comments - you don't need a massive domain - and you will save money going to somewhere smaller. Valmeiner for example.

S/C in apartment will save you money and probably more relaxing for the non-skier and give them something to do - buying and cooking dinner!
latest report
Lots of negative comments here but I'd have thought that's a decent budget. Not sure about TOs from Dublin but Crystal has a lot of options from Belfast that would tick the box, obviously only works if you can get across the border.

La Plagne I'm not sure is great for a non-skier, the town is pretty ugly (although views spectacular). I'd say the same of VT, although there is a bit more going on. Of the ones you've mentioned I'd have thought Meribel is nicest and fits all 4 people. Just make sure it is Meribel and not a TO passing off Brides Les Bains as Meribel Laughing
ski holidays
First of all thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond to my post. I really appreciate it and am going to have to look at the options that have been given. Unfortunately I won't know until 1st Nov if my daughter has exams on the 21st or not. Also Easter is a no go as again daughter wont have a break at that time with college, kids really do dictate your life. I do like the idea of Saalbach seems to cover most things and even had a decent price for an appt from one of the snowheads on here. Anyway I shall keep you posted on what happens could be another wet dreary Christmas at home in Ireland....
latest report
Quote:

even had a decent price for an appt from one of the snowheads on here

That sounds good - local contacts can be very helpful. Hope it works out.
latest report
@Robair, Might be worth looking at Saas Fee. It's very snow sure. It's an intermediate resort but the beginner runs in the village are pretty good and there are some long wide blues further up the mountain for progression. The red runs range from very easy reds to very steep so there will be more for your kids if they progress well. Just ski any red runs solo before taking your kids on them so you know you are avoiding the steep bits.

Saas fee is very good in my opinion for non skiers because it is an attractive decent sized car free village to walk around and the majority of the lifts are fine for walk on passengers so your wife can feel more involved by meeting you up the mountain easily. The hostel 4000 ( https://www.youthhostel.ch/en/hostels/wellnesshostel4000-saas-fee ) has a large pool and an excellent spa that is open to the public.

If you are on a budget I'd recommend the hostel 4000 as accommodation but I would expect it to be booked up already for Christmas. Otherwise there are a lot of good quality apartment buildings throughout the village and those a bit further away form the slopes should be a bit cheaper. If you end up a bit away from the snow face a number of the hire shops have lockers where you can store your gear to avoid carting it to the slopes (for example https://www.intersportglacier.ch/?lang=en).

A train + bus transfer is fairly easy and is an option from both Geneva and Zurich airports.
ski holidays
@Robair, we went to La Thuile last year staying in Planibel apartments. Had a great time skiing in both Italy and France. Great location and very reasonable prices
snow report
@Robair, your question is one which has been asked several times before - and there isn't the perfect answer. The two requirements aren't really compatible. The only places where you can guarantee snow early season are going to be the high altitude purpose built resorts, while the places which have lots of interesting places for a non-skier to visit and wander round are likely to be the much lower altitude year-round villages.

So somewhere there are going to have to be compromises. A bit depends on your wife, if she is happy sitting and reading books all day in the apartment or a local cafe then a high resort might be OK. If she needs something more active then you are probably going to have to accept staying lower down with you and the teenagers having to queue for a long lift up to the ski slopes in the mornings. It isn't somewhere I have been personally, but I wonder whether somewhere like Brides-les-Bains with the long gondola up to Meribel would work.

(I realise @SnoodyMcFlude actually advises avoiding Brides-l-B, but I am not sure there is much in Meribel to keep a non-skier occupied for more than a few hours).
ski holidays
@j b, wrote: “ you are probably going to have to accept staying lower down with you and the teenagers having to queue for a long lift up to the ski slopes in the mornings.”

FWIW I’ve never seen a queue for a ski lift in Christmas week, not at least in my neck of the woods. I’ve always reckoned that the resort is only about 60% full over Christmas, as opposed to 100% during New Year week.
snow report
@j b, my main thinking was that the long gondola ride, plus then a lift up the mountain, is going to be a bit of a drag to start ever day for the skiing team. It also means that the non-skier is going to be on their own all day, whereas in the village there's more chance to meet up for lunch etc.
ski holidays
Well i think you are in a good position. 5/6K should get you something nice. However a few bits of advice:
1. get the teenagers lessons before you go on dry slope or snow dome. You will all be glad of that
2. Could you go easter ? Its warmer, cheaper, nicer weather for beginners. Avoid feb half term
3. I agree that large high altitude purpose build french resorts can be expensive and not really worth going if you have beginners. So 3 valleys, les arc, la plagne, tignes/ val d are all v expensive when compared to other french resorts that are lower. However the trade off is you need altitude at easter and the options im aware of that remain high in france are Val Cenis and Valloire (Im sure there are others that snow heads can advise on). Both considerably cheaper than french resorts ive mentioned. HOWEVER you have 5/6 K - that will get you a holiday in a big high resort at easter and with snow and change.
4, As this is your first trip use a ski co and get a package. It will take the stress out of yr first family trip. Doing a DIY trip can save a bit of money but can be stressful and you dont need that on this first trip.
5. Remember the non skier while out there. Meet up for lunch/ apres

Hope you have a great trip and tell us where you end up
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tatmanstours, to be fair I haven't ever skied Christmas week so maybe that problem was imagined. And since you mention your own "neck of the woods" I suspect that Austria might have some places that would suit, it's just that one way and another I have personally sampled more in France and Italy.
latest report
@j b, yes, in my experience (and I’m just about to spend my 19th consecutive Christmas in Saalbach), Christmas week is relatively low-key and “holy holy” (in countries where Roman Catholicism is predominant), with lovely, civilised skiing and a bit of respectful après-ski; then all hell breaks loose when the New Year week hordes arrive.

Whilst writing, @SnoodyMcFlude, non-skiers in my resort can buy a “walking only - no ski equipment” lift pass that costs only just over €100 per week. And there is a wide choice of gondolas, with good sun trap restaurants at virtually every mid- and top station, so it lends itself very well to arranging lunch rendezvous between skiers and non-skiers.
snow report
Can't speak for Austria but Christmas week in France is busy with some moderate queues. But not as busy as NY or HT.
ski holidays
I think you are tied to the same week as we are , we have a leaving cert, and a 3rd year uni student. So we travel the 18th of January due to her exams. Have you thought of soll, and the ski welt area? We got good flights from Dublin with Aer lingus to Munich, hired a car and are driving to Brixen. There are quite a lot of beginner runs there, and from what I'm told you have fairly good apres ski in Soll. Your wife could meet you on the mountain, or take a bus to the nearby Kitzbuhel which is a lovely town, lots of shops and very austrian. Your budget is way more than ours, without ski passes we have paid 2.5k with flights with one case , 4 carry ons, and three pairs of skis, car hire and a two bedroom apartment. Keep looking around, and if it gets difficult doing diy, then Crystal has a lot on their website to choose from. Austria is lovely, has great apres ski, and great huts, and a very modern lift system. Italy is great too, places like Madonna di campiglio would also suit a non skier.
ski holidays
biddpyat wrote:
I think you are tied to the same week as we are , we have a leaving cert, and a 3rd year uni student. So we travel the 18th of January due to her exams.

The title of the post says "21st Dec" and OP says "We are looking to go 21st Dec for 1 week" Puzzled
latest report
@Robair, Here is an unusual suggestion.

4 of you. Two beginners so you don't want anything too demanding and one non skier so somewhere nice for them would be good.

You only have one week so you want to maximise the holiday for everyone and you have a budget to stick to. One major consideration is the cost of eating and drinking for the 4 of you every day and the cost of a ski pass. In Italy they don't rip you off.

I would recommend Alleghe for a few reasons. 1) the snowheads go there every year and we all know how to get there by transfer, or local bus, or Taxi transfer. 2) The slopes are wide and great for a beginner. 3) there is a gondola up and down access so your wife can come and join you for lunch on the slopes and simply get the gondola back down. 4) it is right on a lake. https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Experience/Ski-areas/Civetta 5) the local ski pass is cheap compared to major resorts.

Finally it is an easy drive on normal roads if you hire a car. Or you can get the ski transfer or get local transport.

A few days in Venice and a lake-side hotel/appartment will make your wife very happy. And the ability to simply pop up the hill for lunch with you or meet you at one of the bars at the bottom of the cable car is a big bonus for Alleghe.

Finally, I cant think of a cheaper option. Happy
ski holidays
@Robair, @GlasgowCyclops' suggestion of Alleghe (with a side visit to Venice before or after) has a lot of merit imv for all the reasons he stated.
ski holidays
Do they have beginners lessons for children in English?
snow report
1. Le Corbier
2. Sestriere
3. Les Menuires
latest report
T Bar wrote:
Do they have beginners lessons for children in English?

yes, maximum 6 in a group and in English https://maisonsport.com/en/lessons/childrens_group_lessons
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Robair, @GlasgowCyclops' suggestion of Alleghe (with a side visit to Venice before or after) has a lot of merit imv for all the reasons he stated.

I concur. My one slight concern might be snow cover, but Italians are great at piste management and snowmaking. Alleghe is a lovely spot for a non-skier, my folks book on the PreBB every year even though mum doesn't ski.
snow conditions
@SnoodyMcFlude, exactly. People do book on the Alleghe trip and don’t ski. My wife was booked on one trip but COVID killed that but she was going to be at the lake and painting for a week.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy