Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY tuning

Poster: A snowHead
Part of the deal with Mrs H when I purchased our new skis was that I would do the servicing rather than shelling out after every trip as over the course of an average season, it would cost around £150 to service both pairs.

The only fly in the ointment is that I have never tried to service/tune skis in my life so thought I'd better ask those of you that do.

So any advice/tips on tools/equipment and technique/books etc. greatly received.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's some great info on the Swix and Toko websites (and I think on Tognar as well)

Give me a few minutes...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you find the TOKO website they have a downloadable booklet that gives a lot of info for free
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.swixschool.no/web/index2.html (it's all flash)

http://www.tokous.com/InfoCenter.htm
Here's the main manual:
http://www.tokous.com/Manuals/Alpine%20Tech%20Manual%200506.pdf

and...
http://www.tognar.com/tips_tricks_information_ski_snowboard_waxing_tuning_repair_tools.html
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Holmenkol stuff is also a good read:
http://www.holmenkol.us/tech.html?stat=Tech+Section&substat=Tuning+%26+Waxing+Articles&sstat=&ref=198
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SHello, Want a lesson ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The late Doug Coombs tells you all you need to know here
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow thanks all, what service Very Happy

ski, yes I would - always keen to learn more
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SHello, Pm'd you.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
£150 thats seems pretty steep, how many weeks a year do you ski, do you get a base grind every week. Seems alot to me. oggie.com has some nice edge hand tools, the same ones (i think, different brand) from anything technical cost £50. Going to order one myself. The more expensive edge tuners have rollers on em which stop those nasty marks your bases.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SHello, I'm sure Spyderjon will be along soon, that word 'tuning' will grab his attention, think he has put together a tuning guide.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SHello, Over the past year I've put togther a pretty difinitive tried & tested tuning guide which I would be pleased to PM/email to you.

I can also offer you quality tuning gear (including a number of entry level packages) at unbeatable prices that includes a small percentage for snowHead's as well. I'll also hopefully have a DVD available in the near future.

Let me know if you're interested as I don't want to send you an unsolicited PM Shocked.

Edmundh009, two pairs of skis with five tunes each per season at £15 a go = £150. And that's for a basic wax without a proper hot scrape & for some muppet to wack ya edges through a grinding machine Shocked.

Don't both with the roller type side edge guides as there's not enough base contact for them to run smoothy & the rollers get clogged etc. Just use a decent quality aluminium or stainless steel guide.

srobbo, wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
well the one i was looking at is supposed to move to the sidecut of the ski http://www.oggie.com/product.asp?p=9235 . Have you any recommendations of where to buy ski tuning kit online as snow and rock etc seem pretty limited. I figured a hand tool is much easier to work with than a file and guide if you don't have any vices (the restraining kind not alcohol, chocolate, fags etc. Laughing ) what do you reckon spyderman,.... I mean spyderjon
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Edmundh009, The files on the tool you are looking are waay too small.. Shocked They'll last about 20 minutes. Evil or Very Mad spyderjon, will be able to sell you a much much better one..... If you really want to sharpen edges without a vice, then remember some strong elastic bands, to hold the brakes out of the way wink The other (and probably more useful tool) will be a small stone (again from spyderjon, ) which you can use to deburr your edges.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, many thanks, I have sent you a PM
snow report
Edmundh009, Did you not do a course with Andy Taylor? He would be able to sell you all the appropriate stuff.
latest report
Yeah at the appropriate price. The stuff from anything technical is anything....but cheap. ( Laughing ). I know the files are small on the tool but surely you can buy replacement ones. All I'm looking for is keeping my edges in decent nick and removing all that nasty rust which crops up from time to time.
ski holidays
I would love to learn to service my own skis are there any other couses except the one in the Lake district 3 days I think
ski holidays
Anything Technical run a course in Basingstoke as well. Its with the same guys I think, the extra cost is the cost of sending them down there. You need alot of kit to service your own skis fully. Its alot more pricey than I first thought. Though I would never pay to get my skis hot waxed. There are only a few repairs you can do to bases yourself with major repairs needing patching or a suitable extruder gun.
snow report
So are Anything Technical the only people who offer a course?
snow report
They are the only ones I can think of, to be honest I think the 3rd day is not really worth the extra expense as it briefly covers boot fitting and is more of a practice of the skills you have learnt on the previous days.
snow report
Edmundh009,
Quote:

I know the files are small on the tool but surely you can buy replacement ones. All I'm looking for is keeping my edges in decent nick and removing all that nasty rust which crops up from time to time.

One of the skiers in my club has a sharpener like that... He's very keen to borrow other peoples. I have an SKS one, which has a clamp to hold the file on the top. It's much, much, faster to use, and because you can use the whole file, the file will last longer. To remove rust from your edges all you need is a small stone... wink

The kit is pricey but you'll soon save money compared paying someone else to do it.....and it's quite satisfying.
snow conditions
Hmm. Wonder if there's a chance of a ski maintenance teach in at the EOSB? Because of the bindings issue I am becoming tempted to buy my own skis again.
snow conditions
Edmundh009, take ski's advice & get a proper side angle guide with a clamp that takes either full length files or diamond stones (Moonflex are by far the best) that can be moved around to minimise wear. If you tune regularly (a few passes at the end of the day) with a diamond stone (always use cutting fluid or snow to avoid 'grooving' the stone) then you'll hardly ever need to use a file. A plastic guide is the least expensive but I'd recommend an aly one for accuracy & longevity. I use bomb proof stainless steel side angle guides as last season I did about 90 hand tunes & will probably do double that next season.

You can get replacement 20 x 30mm stones & files for those tools (I sell them) but I'd rather not take your money as such a small item will wear very quickly & you soon regret the decision. The Kunzmann 'Edge Trick' is a great inexpensive little tool for end of day touch-up's if you don't want to pack your main guide & stones.

redrunmarcus, if you have the ability the change a plug or do basic DIY (& I mean basic) then you can tune skis - it doesn't take any more dexterity & you certainly don't need a two/three day course for recreational tuning Shocked. For virgin tuners who order their gear from me I recommend collecting it on a Saturday so they can have a tuning lesson. The benefit of this is that you get taught with the tools your going to use on my knackered old skis to start with & if you bring your own skis I'll supervise you tuning them correctly for the first time. You're welcome to do the same. If you can't travel then I do a excellent written guide & a video/DVD to see the actual technique.
And as ski says it's pretty satisfying.
ski holidays
Nick Zotov wrote:
Hmm. Wonder if there's a chance of a ski maintenance teach in at the EoSB? Because of the bindings issue I am becoming tempted to buy my own skis again.

There was one this year, it's useful information for those that want to DIY.
ski holidays
Nick Zotov wrote:
Hmm. Wonder if there's a chance of a ski maintenance teach in at <b>the <a href="http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=9948">EoSB</a></b>?

Nick Zotov, you can't be too far from me so why not pop over with your skis one weekend & I'll give you rundown.
snow conditions
Nick Zotov wrote:
Hmm. Wonder if there's a chance of a ski maintenance teach in at the EoSB? Because of the bindings issue I am becoming tempted to buy my own skis again.

I watched Euan sort my ski's out at the esob 06 as I had them done locally before I went and they were really messed up. When he wanted a demo pair I jumpped in to a free tuneup Wink

I now do my own, I got the waxing pretty good now just need to sort the edge tuning out. spyderjon I will PM you if you dont mind Smile
snow conditions
spyderjon, do you have the diamond files at a reasonable price ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lampbus, reasonable to Jon yes wink
snow report
lampbus, Yes, & reasonably to you too!

I sell the Diaface Moonflex diamond files from Sorma. They're not really known in the UK as all the stores stock DMT & Sorma don't see the UK as a market. If you do a search on Epicski you'll see the great
feedback they get. The set of 5 that I'm currently using myself have tuned over 50 pairs of skis & are still in good nick. They're undoubtably the best tuning stones available, lasting waaaay longer than DMT & are cheaper. They're also great on quality cutlery & knives etc. I've now sold so many of them that Sorma has offered me first option on a UK distributorship but I need to grow my business a bit first as the initial stock committment is a bit rich for me at present. I can do the DMT's if you want them but their durability is just crap.

102 x 25mm: 100 grit @ £24 & the 200, 400, 600 & 1500 grit @ £19 each. Set of 5 for £80.00
70 x 25mm: 100 grit @ £21 & the 200, 400, 600 & 1500 grit @ £16 each. Set of 5 for £68.00

Prices plus carriage at cost.

Don't forget that with any diamond stone you should use a cutting fluid.
ski holidays
Nick_C, Thanks for the enquiry. I've replied to your PM.
latest report
spyderjon, thanks for the full and helpful reply, I will be ordering soon off you Smile just got to get this weekend at castleford paid up Smile

As your not to far away and if you would not mind I may just pop over to you to collect it and add another snowhead to my list of nicknames to faces.
snow conditions
Nick_C, Introduce yourself at Castleford tomorrow. I'll be wearing a light grey soft shell, black kecks & orange boots.
snow report
spyderjon, good Smile I'll be skiing in a very long sleeved black eosb t shirt and jeans, blue boots. But dont worry we will not miss each another with the rest of the mob there as well Smile
snow report
Top tips:

1. Don't get too enthusiastic. The edges serve a useful purpose.

2. Don't be put off by people taking the pi** out of your winter wax. Your skis will love it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy