Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which resort in Alberta / Eastern BC?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Jonny Jones,
Quote:

The only ski in ski out accom in Canada I've been to is Panorama, which you know all about. I enjoyed the skiing there, but I wasn't greatly impressed with the other facilities, but then I don't like resorts without a town

The resort runs a FREE bus service to the local town at the bottom of the mountain, Invermere, where there are plenty of restraunts ranging from cheap 'burger and chips' to a' la carte excellence such as STRANDS. You don't HAVE to stay in the resort.

Also a good tip is if you contact Panarama direct you can sometimes pick up VERY cheap accomodation.

Panarama now also has a husky centre so you can dog sled, snow mobile safaris locally and of course heli-skiing.

I personnaly HATE Banf with a vengance. Evil or Very Mad

Also, spend a day or two in Calgary for a laugh - go to the Cowboy Bar (DONT TAKE THE KIDS !!) and have a go at the Bob-sled run at the olympic village (Change of underwear may be necessary) snowHead

We tend to spend time over there and drive between resorts, car hire is relatively cheap, but I wouldn't recommend unless you are a confedent driver - especially if you go over the high level pass near golden. Skullie

Enjoy whatever you decide to do. Canada Rocks !! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jonny Jones, plenty of good advice flying around. I've spent quite a few weeks in Banff and loved it and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it to you. I know you have your kids to consider, but I would definately persue the idea of using Banff as a base and hire a big 4x4.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Odin wrote:

The resort runs a FREE bus service to the local town at the bottom of the mountain, Invermere, where there are plenty of restraunts ranging from cheap 'burger and chips' to a' la carte excellence such as STRANDS. You don't HAVE to stay in the resort.

Yeah. Tried that last year in an operation planned with military precision to meet up with some relatives. Unfortunately, the bus broke down (it often does) and there's no other means of transport up the mountain. Invermere does have one taxi, but he wasn't answering his phone so I ended up hitching a lift with the resort's HR Director.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Odin wrote:

We tend to spend time over there and drive between resorts, car hire is relatively cheap, but I wouldn't recommend unless you are a confedent driver - especially if you go over the high level pass near golden. Skullie

Enjoy whatever you decide to do. Canada Rocks !! Toofy Grin

OK you have just worried me, we have been to Canada four times but next January is the first time we are driving ourselves. Where is this high level pass near Golden as we will definitely be going to Golden to go hiking with wolves and naturally stopping off at Kicking Horse for a couple of days.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kicking Horse pass between Golden & LL is pretty hairy in winter with big trucks going up & down (it is the Trans Canada highway), Roger's Pass to the West is often closed for avy control & can be out for a couple of days at a time while they use the howitzers & dig out the road.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Anniegirl,

my advice is to not look in the rearview mirror whilst traversing the pass from LL to Golden - unless you like the sight of a large logging truck driving 3ft off your rear fender !!

Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm flying from Calgary to Cranbrook to avoid the excessively long drive (i'm a bad passenger)

Then private transfer to resort (Panorama) from there. Should be a bit more pleasant (plus its in a dinky plane so should be exciting)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The 'high level pass' is absolutely no problem. It is fantastic rugged stuff. It is not a place you would like run out of fuel at 3 in the morning but apart from that . . . Frankly driving in Canada is ludicrously easy, a girl could navigate and not end up in Scotland. Calgary to Banff = 1 turn. Calgary to Golden = 3 turns and for 2 of those you can actually see Golden.

What is being referred to, indirectly, is that the lorrys throw up grit/stones (which the rental company's are generally cool with) and they take no prisoners. Easy, don't drive like a girl.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nickski wrote:
a girl could navigate and not end up in Scotland

Nickski wrote:
Easy, don't drive like a girl.

Watch it - you're on very thin ice! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nickski wrote:
Frankly driving in Canada is ludicrously easy, a girl could navigate and not end up in Scotland. Calgary to Banff = 1 turn. Calgary to Golden = 3 turns and for 2 of those you can actually see Golden.

I agree navigation is easy and many roads - even major ones - have comparatively little traffic on them. Sometimes you are lucky enough to be able to follow a snowplough for some miles:

but do take it take it easy on the downhills:

(both the above taken on the Coquihalla Pass, between Hope and Merritt, Jan 30th, 2004)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great pics RobW!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Acacia,

Acacia,

I'm looking at heading banff area with a m8 for the season... im struggling however to find accomodation... any suggestions or contact that may be able to sort me out ??

cheers

Anth
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
acidanth,

Well, I really only know about the place from a tourist's perspective. - Your question would likely be far better answered by a local.

There are certainly accommodations that are available for long term lets, but these tend to be pretty expensive, being aimed at the top end of the market. I don't know whether you're planning to get some work locally, while you're out there. If you are, it's well worth getting in touch with Resorts of the Canadian Rockies - the company that runs Lake Louise - they usually have quite a large pool of seasonal workers from all over (but with a strong antipodean flavour), and they have some staff accommodation also. - Their website is http://www.skircr.com, and they are currently recruiting across a range of positions.

Alternatively, there are a couple of locals who are regular posters on Epicski: they go by the names "L7" and "Leeroy". - L7 has one of the ski stores in Banff, and he might be the best guy to get in touch with.

Hope this helps.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
acidanth, accomodation in Banff is hard to come by, I believe, because it's in a national park and there are severe building and property ownership restrictions. Canmore, about 10/15 miles from Banff and just\outside the park is likely to be a better bet, although it's becoming popular. You have to jump into the car anyway to ski from Banff, so the extra few miles doesn't make a lot of difference. Canmore's not a great place in itself, but it's OK. It's also closer to other resorts such as Nakiska (a bit dull) and Fortress which I hear is interesting. It's further from LL and KH, though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
acidanth - your best bet for Banff is to get out there before the season starts & hit the noticeboards/network like mad. Most affordable accomodation is however employment related (& indeed there is a prohibition on pure holiday home ownership). You could try ringing the hostels now and seeing if they can read you any ads. I'm not a local obviously but did work there as a student & back then you pretty much had to get a job with accomodation if you disn't want to live in the hostel.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy