Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brands these days

Poster: A snowHead
Ok im lik new so hi...

I noticed that ppl are not about the quality of skis these days but really about the brands and if u ask someone why they only buy for example Salomon ppl answer because for ex. Janica Kostelic uses them. I understand pros know better but ffs what skis are NOT used by pros? its all about the money they are paid. I know a story about Mizuno skis that sponsored the russian team. well they were so shite that the russians took Volkis and painted over them, after that they jumped more up in the score boards.

i ski in switzerland, lately everyone was about rossignols. my russian ski team i trust a little more since both the couaches were in the olympics and fis and shite so i ask them they go: DEFINETLY fischer. a few years ago both of the teams were about salomon... the funny part is the swiss go: fischer sucks end of story (well less and less now that they start to actually try them) the russians do pretty much the same and TOO now start realising rossignols are not bad either.

i think that brands dont matter now that i notice this. BUT i still for some reason like fischers (maybe cause i feel more secure on them, their dynamics OWN). well end of my little talk to my self. i wanted to know also what brands you ppl like and where u are and who teaches u from wat school and wat assosiation and shite so maybe we see if ppl in england for ex like rossignols better or fischer or salomon or volki...........
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chemist, if you're in a team then you usually have to go with whatever your team chooses for you, unfortunately we are all individuals, I only ski recreationally but I ski on Head GS (Race Department) Skis, in theory these should be way too stiff and unforgiving for a recreational ski, but for me and my skiing style they're perfect.

Asking snowHeads who makes the best skis will get you at least 6 answers all of which will be different as we all seek different things, there is no correct answer, because what works perfectly for one of us may be a disaster for everyone else
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ye i get where ur goin. but nah m8 my teams are not sponsored by ski makers, we just get discounts so we dont have to HAVE TO ride wat they tell us to
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chemist, in that case get into the good hire shops that stock a wide range of skis and try as many out as you can eventually with a bit of luck you will find a ski that suits you perfectly
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Although the Chemist raises an interesting point. I have heard a couple of things - repainting (?) of kit to resemble another manufacturers gear to satisfy contracts and of course the fact (allegation?) that top level racers don't tend to ski around on the stuff that us mere mortals can buy in our local Migros.

IMHO and allowing for manufacturer biases where ski and binding combinations are somewhat required (e.g. Salomon Pilots), I generally really like Rossignol piste skis, Stockli skis in general, Volkl Slalom skis and (with apologies to anyone to whom this might offend) I reckon Salomon skis are designed for fat, 6 days a year, french farmers. Haven't skied a decent Salomon ski (to my particular preference before or since the original Xscream) in years.

I don't (but have and want to again) race and based on current information/experience really want a pair of Elan SLX and GLX. Haven't tried Fischer but want to and haven't liked Dynastar since the gold Courses.

Sorry, long answer to short (?) question. I think there are some manufacturer generalisations that sometimes work. I wouldn't buy anything cos anyone else bought them. I think retail, even at race (?) ski level is wildly different to circuit level kit. Try many, buy a few.

Of course, it is also vitally important that the graphics and colours work well with your ski suit isn't it?? Especially if you are lucky enough to ski in yellow ski pants!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep, everything that DM said but I am a fan of Dynastars as well and only like the dedicated Rossi piste skis (SL/GS) and not the new Bandit lot... Old XX's were fine by me. Heard that the B3 is good though, not tried it.

Do I care what racers are on...not in a million as I can't ski like them anyway... same for Extreme guys... I just don't have the hours on skis for a start, let alone anyhting else that might be required..
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The only time I care what racers are on is if they are on the same gear as me - it doesn't make me want to buy any more of that particular brand. It's like I drive a Renault - and so I like to see Renault F1 doing well. If their F1 cars do well that doesn't influence whether I'll buy another or not.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Renault (16) was the first car I owned, for £300. It had the gearstick by the steering wheel, a bombed-out suspension, a lot of rust, and a driver's door that would swing open on a tight left-hand bend.

I was working for Richard Branson at the time, on a magazine. He got a lift in the Renault one night to his gay nightclub 'Heaven' at Charing Cross. As Branson got in the car (not in fancy dress this time) he said "Are you trying to destroy my image?"

[The purpose of this posting is not necessarily to convince you of Renault as a brand name]
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith,

Gay club..is there another story in there..?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, is't possible that the (successful) manufacturer generalisations are in fact observations about their test crew?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT wrote:
David Goldsmith,

Gay club..is there another story in there..?

Well, I felt almost as virginal as Branson on entering the premises, everyone ignored me for an hour or two (thankfully I was over-dressed) and I drifted into the night.

Branson said he'd gone there to listen to a band for possible signing, but he was known to have no ear for music! [which hadn't prevented him making a mint from Mike Oldfield's 'Tubular Bells'].

I think he got a safer journey home!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith wrote:

........but he was known to have no ear for music! [which hadn't prevented him making a mint from Mike Oldfield's 'Tubular Bells'].

Thats true, that has to be the most complete drivel..so they are both lucky *stewards Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith,
Quote:

I was working for Richard Branson at the time, on a magazine. He got a lift in the Renault one night to his gay nightclub 'Heaven' at Charing Cross.

That is just so much name dropping! Very Happy

I once had lunch with Midge Ure and Bruce Dickinson, gigged on the same stage as Madonna and Bon Jovi and discussed a record deal with the man who wrote the Rubettes hits. Now it just don't get any better than that Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
...many years ago I bumped into this Scottish bloke who asked me what the capital of Austria was. I said "Ooooh Vienna". I wonder what happened to him.

Then there was the time that Elvis rang me up because his hollandaise sauce was too thick, and I said he need to return to blender...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I think he got a safer journey home!
so your ride was a bit rough?
snow report
Skis produced for national squads etc are not normally sold via retail outlets, even those which are branded 'world Cup' etc etc are just cosmetic copies. More likely the racer with a ski that is branded up as a top flight retail version has a much more exotic material make-up, core, base etc and the similarity stops at colours and graphics.

Personally I like salomon skis - especially the original ones as there genuinely felt as though there was a leap forward. I also loved Volkl's until a recent dump run, i had my orignal P9's which had been patched together and still had an edge on them.

Would be much better if shops actually had their test stock with all grey topsheet and a black, non branded base for when a customer tries them out....then you go on ski behaviour rather than colour etc....I think we'd probably be all amazed as to what might stick in our minds with the power of the brand neutralised snowHead
snow report
skinutter, ha ha, I think you might be right in many cases.
snow report
I'm sure Blizzard would fare better Confused or maybe not... Though I hear the titans are very good.
snow report
skinutter wrote:
Would be much better if shops actually had their test stock with all grey topsheet and a black, non branded base for when a customer tries them out....then you go on ski behaviour rather than colour etc....I think we'd probably be all amazed as to what might stick in our minds with the power of the brand neutralised snowHead

A very pimp future for shop clerks.

As with a woman, should a ski not have -something- to enchant you most when you know it least?

Something to excite a belief, a hope, a striving magical faith that if epiphany is not now then it could soon be?

Quote:
I think we'd probably be all amazed as to what might stick in our minds with the power of the brand neutralised

The last best gratification, or lack thereof.

As in line one of this post, perhaps good for a hire policy.
snow conditions
comprex, Hello mate, do you speak english????????? Puzzled
latest report
skinutter, I was with you until the second Paragraph. Someone whom likes the feel of both Salomon and Volkl has surely a lithium deficeit. Twisted Evil
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
skinutter, I was with you until the second Paragraph. Someone whom likes the feel of both Salomon and Volkl has surely a lithium deficeit. Twisted Evil

Not enough FISH in their diet!
ski holidays
Unkle, in english, should Margaux first be sampled from Tetrapak?

NO.

The romance (ritual, marketing, press, graphics, makeup) is there to convince (educate, train, excite, seduce) punters into the belief that the product is truly better than they can experience at any one moment.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

Not enough FISH in their diet!

you lost me guys? Whats wrong with a salomon plank or a german tank of a ski like a volkl?

I've also had Rossi 9s which i have enjoyed and K2's which i hated - i've seen butter stand up to abuse better than a K2 Laughing

Each to their own.....i can never understand why someone would buy a BMW but whatever floats ur boat i guess Puzzled
ski holidays
k2 freestyle skis stand up to quite a bit of abuse, certainly equal if not greater than a rossignol ski.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy