Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer skiing (Europe)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Really fancy a summer ski fix, can anyone recommend a good resort for August?

Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kartman, try Les Deux-Alpes, as it is open until the end of the month.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Castleford, Saturday 5th August.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, are you going to be there or is that one trip too many for you? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stocky, I'm flying in just for it! Wink

(actually I have an appointement in the morning, and if I'm in a fit state to drive, then I WILL be there)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kartman, Hintertux - just over 2 hours from Salzburg (or 1 hour from Innsbruck).

All glaciers will be at their worst by then unfortunately, but there will be some runs open.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, beers at the bar then. See you there (maybe wink )
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stocky, I'll be the fat bloke.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was in tignes at the start of july and by the end of the week there were massive puddles of water all over the place. It was good for the terrain park but I reckon if you were sticking to the piste it wouldn't be much fun. I think Saas-fee would be your best bet at that time.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, should be difficult to recognise with a few of the other lardy boys turning up wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kartman, None of the glaciers will be in good condition that late. The best thing is for you to look at all the webcams and try to choose. We should still be OK for the next 2 weeks - after that I wouldn't like to say. I would drive if I were you - easy in summer, and you're in the right part of the UK. We're max 10 hours from Calais/Boulogne.

Check out which way the glaciers are facing: We're NW so we don't get such a "hard" sun as Tignes which is East (I think). This could be very important. Avoid any which are S, E or SE facing if at all possible.

Realistically, unless it turns cold in the meantime and snows a lot (did snow a tiddly bit last night), all the skiing will be rubbish by mid-August - I would love to say"come here, it'll be wonderful", but I only tell strictly the truth about conditions! Shock
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think Saas-fee is North Facing, I know warren smith runs camps there in august so it msut be somewhat ok.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Edmundh009, That he runs camps there doesn't necessarily mean it's fine! After all, the worse the snow the quicker you learn!!! Very Happy Very Happy I don't know, personally though.

We currently have the Kandahar, the British Ski Academy, still some French team types, and about a million French and Italian clubs here - doesn't mean anything except Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I still think saas-fee will be the best of the bunch at that time of the year. I got to ski the Whistler glacier a week or 2 ago. Now that really wasn't worth it. If you werent with one of the camps it was $50 CDN per day and uplift didnt start till 11am for non ski camp skiers Shocked Which meant you didnt get riding till 12pm (3 chairs and a bus). There was about 20% of the terrain available to non ski camp which consisted of 3 easy runs,it has nothing on the tignes glacier though those riders on the camps were some of the best I have seen. They had some crazy rails and huge kickers.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Edmundh009, AFAIK, the glaciers open in August should be Hintertux, Zermatt, Saas Fee, L2A and Tignes (there may be others). Do you recommend Saas from experience of all the others?

Personally I have only skiied Hintertux and L2A in August and marginally preferred the former for variety of terrain open.
ski holidays
I heard L2A was quite flat in comparison with Tignes though it has a much bigger terrain park. I have not skied saas but it does seem to have a sufficient amount of terrain to keep you happy. One thing I noticed about tignes was the sheer lack of atmosphere, it was very quiet in the village areas. Everyone seems to disperse very quickly after the lifts closed, this didn't really matter as I was on a BUSC event where we had our own bar with beers at one euro each but is worth remembering when making a choice. Also as we stayed in le Lac it was difficult to get anything to eat between the hours of 1pm and 6pm.
snow report
Edmundh009, OK, I was just wondering why you were suggesting that Saas is better than Hintertux in August.

Comparisons are not easy to make with the limited information on websites.

From a quick check around, Saas fee (according to SCGB website) has only 4 runs open at the moment. I'm not sure what km that is.

Hintertux has 15km open (but doesn't list the number of runs - though by looking at the lifts open, I would guess about 7 including blues and reds).

I am sure that easiski will be able to give us the information for L2A.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
L2A summer map is here:

The 3 chairlifts are all closed now, so essentially you're talking a huge wide area of moderate pitch blue runs and an awesome park.

snow report
thanks very much for this info, not been before in the summer and it sounds as though I may have left it too late. Would it be better to leave it till say oct/nov? I'm pretty keen to go as my wife is expecting our 1st bambino on 1st Jan, so I'll have to give this winter season a miss!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
kartman, you'd definitely be better leaving it later. The glaciers should have had fresh snow by end Oct/Nov.

Check the snowEvents section of the forum for the Mondial thread, a bunch of snowHead s meeting in L2A at the beginning of Nov. Ski testing as well Very Happy
latest report
kartman, Then you must come to the PSB/Mondial at the beginning to November. Check out the "Snow Events" forum. Great fun - a good selection of snowHeads already booked and plenty of room for more! Can't guarantee where the snow will end, but last year was a bad as it gets, and everyone enjoyed it.

Really and truly summer skiing is best in June and early July before the heat gets to the snow. I can't speak about the condition of other glaciers, but around then we certainly have 2 reds open and one black (very) pitch - but we don't "pretend" mark like Tignes! Their black is NO WAY black on the glacier!!! I post regular snow reports from here, so look at the "LDA Interseason-Summer" thread on snow reports to give you an idea. Right now, this summer, it's been way too hot for way too long. Sometimes we get powder in August, but I'm not holding my breath this year!

Basically, summer skiing is totally different from winter skiing because you can't "travel" (doesn't matter which glacier). therefore you ski in summer, for an all-round holiday, for technical improvement, and for getting a little snowtime when all the other idiots are sitting on a beach bored to death!!! I love it - obviously - but it's not for everyone. Very Happy Very Happy

PM me if you want more details, or go to www.les2alpes.com for the tourist office website and webcams.
snow report
easiski yeah that black is a doddle from the top of the gondola down (tignes)
snow conditions
Quote:

I'm pretty keen to go as my wife is expecting our 1st bambino on 1st Jan, so I'll have to give this winter season a miss!

What are you talking about kartman?? Do a short break toward the end of the season! By late March/early April the bairn will be sleeping through the night:- the wife will manage without you for a few days. Much better idea than summer skiing.

And before the feminists out there start laying into me, I look after the sprog when the wife goes away for the odd w/end, so there! Razz
snow report
kartman, If it helps - I'm going to Tignes, August Bank holiday week. It will be fun !
snow conditions
the ice perv, well it was in the back of my mind ;o)
ski holidays
If I had gone sking and left the wife at home (not skiing) I am sure that one evening she would have quietly slit my throat
latest report
Frosty don't put those ideas in any female's mind as I intend to negotiate that. Sitting here tightly as Babe 3 is due at any time(01/0Cool. Yes I would be happy to have all 3 children if Mrs Dan100 wanted time away-I have offered
snow report
Confession time: I did actually sneak off to the alps for a weekend without her realising once. It was a carefully orchestrated plan, full of subterfuge and military precision-timing. She still has no idea, even to this day! Here is how it is done:

Just say "I am off down the newsagents for a paper and a packet of fags" then come back a couple of days later. If there is some good housewife-telly on she probably won't notice. DO NOT make the beginner-mistake of forgetting the fags and coming back through the front door carrying your skis!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, I agree, Mr B is NOT ALLOWED to go skiing without me . He is allowed a weekend away occasionally, as am I, but not to a ski resort, except possibly in summer to go mountain biking.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, But that's because you both like to ski! wink
latest report
I looked at lots of websites last night to see if the glacier conditions were better elsewhere than here. Most of the glaciers didn't have webcams pointing at the pistes (we do, perhaps that's foolish?) but the pix displayed all looked pretty much of a muchness. Lots of grey ice with big cracks showing.

I looked at: Tignes, Saas-Fee, Zermatt, Pitztal (closed), Stubaital, Hintertux and Kaprun/Kitzteinhorn - Just thought you'd like to know. Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy