Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave trip-Split from Skiing goals thread.

Poster: A snowHead
Skiers Lodge
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
flicksta, er .. me too... so which one where you ? (I'm Simon BTW)....
snow report
 brian
brian
Latest GFS run has dry through until Friday, snow (with snowline maybe 1800m or so) Saturday and Sunday, clearing up Monday.

Frankly the GFS has been all over the place in the last week or so, so who knows ??
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT,

We should be in La Grave by mid afternoon Saturday so I will be in the bar in the evening...and the next one....and the next one...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
richjp,

Me too... Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ski wrote:
flicksta, er .. me too... so which one where you ? (I'm Simon BTW)....

Ahah-how funny! Paul!
latest report
 brian
brian
Looking increasingly like there's snow heading our way over the weekend, hope the wind doesn't get out of hand Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian,

oh no.....!!!! Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have mixed feelings about the HUGE DUMP which seems to be predicted. On the one hand, I am looking forward to skiing some powder, on the other, it's a shame for the LG first-timers if we can't see the majestic scenery and high winds might keep us off the top of the mountain altogether Confused
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno wrote:
I have mixed feelings about the HUGE DUMP which seems to be predicted. On the one hand, I am looking forward to skiing some powder, on the other, it's a shame for the LG first-timers if we can't see the majestic scenery and high winds might keep us off the top of the mountain altogether Confused

We had the same last week, we were only up at P3 for two days. However, they were two unbelievable days of awesome powder shots all the way to P1. It's a worthwhile investment.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno,

Huge...? We can't afford to sit out a storm, I agree
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, well, I'm going by netweather.tv - a recent find for me so not sure how accurate or otherwise. Actually, provided all the lifts are open, LG isn't bad for storm skiing. Lots of rock outcrops to provide definition high up the mountain and trees further down.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, now you see why I was so insistent we needed transport. If there's a substantial dump, it's highly likely they'll shut LG completely for 3 days until the snowpack stabilises (exactly that happened the end of this coming week last year). IIRC they opened only up to P2 the first day of the dump, and then shut the lot completely for the next 2-3 days. We could be seeing a lot of Serre, ADH and LDA.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Arno, JT, the worry is if it's warm and windy, don't fancy tree skiing in the rain particularly.

The wind doesn't look too outrageous at the moment, but it would certainly be blowing up high. FL looks around 1800-2000m Saturday/Sunday, lowering below 1500m on Monday. Sunday currently looks like the big dump day, possibly clear up (at least ease off) on Monday.

Details are bound to change though ...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did ask brian whether this was the US East coast storm of about 10 datys ago.
Anyway, it doesn't matter, we get what we get and have to work around it.

I'd rather be going into this week with the prospect of snow than without it.

GrahamN, We shall probably meet BC early and he knows what's what. All arrangements ticking over, I'll give you a call later this week.
latest report
FL of 2000 is actually ok for a lot of LG's skiing. i'm not worried - there is loads of great skiing around there
ski holidays
........ Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
JT, the answer was sort of I think, that low filled mid atlantic and was joined by another I think on its track westwards.

Anyway, currently not looking like a huge dump but some showers Saturday, possibly a spell of snow Sunday and clearing up a bit on Monday. Wind not looking too bad either.

Arno, fatbob, one of you remember your driving license.
snow report
brian wrote:
JT, the answer was sort of I think, that low filled mid atlantic and was joined by another I think on its track westwards.

Anyway, currently not looking like a huge dump but some showers Saturday, possibly a spell of snow Sunday and clearing up a bit on Monday. Wind not looking too bad either.

Arno, fatbob, one of you remember your driving license.

Already with my passport!
latest report
I always have my driving licence with me (which explains why is it such a miserable, crumpled bit of paper)
ski holidays
I've lost track. Are we all on the same flight tomorrow?

Also, should we swop phone numbers just in case? If people want to PM theirs to me, I can collate them into one PM and circulate it.

Finally, assuming I arrive in good time, I'll be using my BA Exec Club Gold Card privileges by having some free champagne in the First Lounge. I am only allowed one guest. Can't think of the fairest way to do this so how about the first person who calls me after I get into the Lounge gets to come in?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, I'm pretty sure we are.

OK, Online checkin has just opened, and I'm checked in now (the airline seems to like that, but it doesn't seem to make any significant difference - you still wait for ever in the queue for thee "fast" bag drop rolling eyes ). I'm in seat 5F BTW. I should be turning up with JT about 5:30-45. See the rest of you in the bag drop queue.

Off down the dry slope now to see if my new boots will pass muster Shocked .
latest report
 brian
brian
Arno, pm'd you my mobile.

I'm checked in in seat 9A. Assuming my connecting flight's on time I'll be hanging around T4 from about 4.30.
snow report
 brian
brian
btw, looking like, half hearted snow Saturday, more significant snow (20-30cm ?) on Sunday, easing to snow showers Monday.
snow report
I am sure we will meet up ok at the terminal... even if we haven't all met.

Might get some funny looks when we ask 'are you Arno?'.. but I reckon I'll only need 2 goes..same for Brian....Laughing

How hard can it be... ?

I am checkin at the airport after we meet up so if anyone wants to sit together....Laughing
snow report
See you all at the airport.
ski holidays
Have a great and safe time guys Very Happy
snow report
Blinding day....... the guide is a maniiac and we are knackered........ for bad vis it does not get any better. trees, trees and more trees,
Could not tell you what we have done as we can not see it...............................

Dinner with the guys and charlotte..........richjp is at the bar as well.... Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
...........buying BIGGER 'Car-Digging-out-shovel' ........

........why... one may ask ......? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Different guide today, but still a reasonable pace set. Couloir Banane was great with knee deep powder (although some other bu%%ers had got there before us). Still pretty poor vis, but who cares when you have waist-deep powder and face shots. No need to go to Alta when conditions are like this Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead . Read and weep, DM NehNeh NehNeh

Weekenders all gone now and down to the hard core - recovering in the bar now, as there are a few slightly fatigued legs around.
latest report
GrahamN, sounds brilliant. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
JT, GrahamN, please don't expect your guide for the Serre Che to be the same standard as the ones from LG! Embarassed I'm hoping for some fresh snow tonight to cover todays tracks but the clouds have gone and its now a moonlight night!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chris, na worries mate! Powder on a bluebird day is tough.....but someone's got to do it Toofy Grin Cool snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Wow Very Happy

In a word, superb.

We did Trifides, Patou, Banane, a few "Variantes Pinatel" of the Vallons and Chancel, made friends with a few trees, cleaned our teeth in the powder ..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Fabulous trip, great company.

Even Heathrow is an ok place this morning. snowHead
snow conditions
Just a quick thanks to everyone & Ullr for a great weekend.

As Arno identified we suspect that the guides certainly must have used the French equivalent of "gaper" to describe some of our, & particularly my "diversions". Expect more in Arno's soon to be released "Heros to Zeros" thread.

Extra thanks for Brian's reversing down sketchy narrow snow covered road skills, the Edelweiss for their fine shovels and the telepherique employee who was obviously in such a hurry to get down said road that he rectified our chain mishandling antics.
snow conditions
fatbob, ditto all the thanks
we need everyone to post their photos and film to snowmediazone so my TR can be an all singin all dancin multimedia etc
snow conditions
Sounds absolutely fabulous. Hurry up and post those pics, I can't wait to see them snowHead
ski holidays
Not normally lost for words as many will testify....

La Grave today..... Very Happy

I shall contemplate changing my name by deed poll to 'Lucky Luciano'........ Laughing

Powder, sun ....... legs ache, heart happy ......

....... and 'Groundhog' day tomorrow..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy boy....
latest report
Not sure if I should post the pix here, but will post them in snow reports as that's a more appropriate place. Purely by chance met up with BernardC, in the cabin at the bottom of the telepheriques de la Meije .... he joined us (me and 2 danish lads), and we had a very nice time. Very Happy Bernard went up for more - danish lads went up for one when we got back to LDA, but I was too tired to do anything other than sit down in the Ski Extreme shop and chat to Jutta - and even that was pushing it. Posting quickly so I can get into nice bath for 2 hours ...... Very Happy
snow report
Blinding blinding blinding..... Sunday was a monster and Monday morning had some great tracks on a virgin face..... and there was not a bad turn in amongst everyones efforts. Arno might have that on Vid.... Great tracks guys...

Thanks to everyone for helping me out.............

Glad you all got home safely.... looking at 20cms again tonight but 60kmh at the top...

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy