Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave trip-Split from Skiing goals thread.

brian
brian
From Skiers Lodge:

"*News* Snow report
Week - 6 February 3rd to 10th
Great cruising skiiing on the glacier trough
vallon down to P1. Last week we skied and
guided La Rama St Christphe. We even found
untouched terrain with no tracks at Alp d Huez

Despit what people say or what your read in the
pappers with no snow in the alpes, La Grave has got
great skiing. "
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good, because I'm going to skiers lodge on Saturday.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Got this today from Edelweiss:

Time for a small update on snow conditions and other important news in and around La Grave!

*Snow conditions*
Despite to what you might read elsewhere about lack of snow in the Alps, the snow conditions in La Grave are remarkably good from 1900 m and clients (especially those with a guide) continue to find fresh powder. Robin went down to the right of Couloir du Lac of the glacier yesterday, and had fresh tracks of great powder. Our drummer friend and UIAGM mountainguide Joe Vallone did a first descent this winter of Pan de Rideau a couple of days ago and thought it was great, Colin Samuel, the guy behind the Black Diamond Ski Test Center at Edelweiss (see below), did a first descent of Enfetchores yesterday and said it was a little windblown on top but terrific from half way down....and these are just a few examples....

*And as we write nice fluffy white flakes are coming down and the forecast says it will be snowing until Sunday ! To be continued...*

*Ski-touring*
More and more of our guests and friends are doing ski de randonnée/ski touring. This valley is a unique spot in Europe to do so - no mountain restaurants or any disturbing factors. This is pure mountain wilderness... With either a good guide or a lot of mountain craft, you can find all kind of snow conditions.

*Ice-climbing*
The ice stayed in great conditions on the north facing climbs. Contact us for up to date conditions given by guides and climbers staying at the auberge.

*Ski Test Center*
We are pleased to announce that the Auberge is appointed the sole Black Diamond Ski Test Center in Europe. It is managed by the known La Grave based American photographer and passionate skier Colin Samuels. Check it out: www.skibd.com

*Blues Nights*
We have been playing a lot of music this winter and our intention is to have a couple of nights a week of music with professionals or professional amateurs. If you play an instrument (well!) you are welcome to join us. We have guitars, basses, and other instruments available for suitable candidates.

*Did you know...*
...that from numerous European cities there are regular and cheap *direct flights* with different low cost airlines to Grenoble airport, which is only about 1,5 hours drive from La Grave ?

*News Section website*
If you like to be informed on a more regular basis about the current conditions and snowdevelopment in and around La Grave, we like to refer to the news section on our website www.hotel-edelweiss.com. Top right hand corner, available in French and English (click at the bottom of the page to change language). This section is updated on a regular basis.

Any suggestions or messages you like to pass on via our newsletter or the news section of our website, let us know.
Looking forward seeing you in La Grave
Robin & Marlon
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian,

Excellent...looks like I'll be on Verdicts or Havocs then.... Laughing
and playing a bit of bass... hmmmm
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK guys looks like I screwed up a bit on the Lyon airport hotel. Having been assured late last year that availability at the Lyon airport Kyriad wouldn't be a problem I rang yesterday, having forgotten until now to be told no chance. The Sofitel is an eyewatering 200Euro+ a night and doesn't even seem to have twin rooms. I'll look for other options but do we have to return the car Monday nioght Brian or can we extend until early Tuesday?

Thanks

Edit

Can get a Campanile at €72 a night twin or a premiere classe (formula 1 equivalent) for the princely sum of €34 a night twin both around 2.5km from the airport. At that distance a taxi shouldn't break the bank but early in the am with luggage is it worth extending the car hire?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 8-02-07 11:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob and brian, there's a formule 1 about 10 mins drive away or for (relative) luxury there's an ibis on the motorway a little before you turn off for the airport. we'd need to keep the car for either but it's not too big of a deal. happy to book one of them - i'm quite familiar with the accor hotels website! do we all want out own rooms? they don't cost the earth!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I'll check on the car, but if we can't extend the rental a 10 minute drive each way in a cab wouldn't break the bank would it ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian, wouldn't think so. there may even be an airport shuttle
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ibis at Isle d'Abeau is EUR 64 per room

Formule 1 (so slightly grotty shared facilities but just about hygienic) at Mezieu Eurexpo is EUR 29 per room
snow report
 brian
brian
So the guy at Europcar says we should be able to extend the rental and drop the car back on the Tuesday before their office opens (they don't open until 7am), we ask and they'll give us a price when we pick up the car.

Edit: he reckoned aorund £30 or so, so it should be a go-er.

I reckon we should just take a decision then based on whatever figure they quote us, fall back on taxis if need be.

I'm happy to share a twin at any old hotel, it's not like we'll be there long.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian, Sounds fine - We'll be happy with a cheapy too as it'll be arrive late /sleep/ get up early - this is the premiere classe

http://webbooking.louvre-hotels.fr/book/rates.aspx?t=7f79101e7ac27&s=PC&h=FRA22283
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
some other email list I am on
POW POW, Pof, Tiefschnee, Poeier, Peuf... you name it, we've got it !
after a small snowfall yesterday of +- 20cm we are expecting a new storm starting this saturday.
the forecasted amount of snow will be 50-60cm (in the nextdoors bar they speak of 80cm...but I don't know how many beers they had already)
check our availibilities on www.hotel-lachaumine.com if you want to come and ski with us this fresh powder!!

snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looking promising - did you guys book a hotel? If so I'll sling in the same one for me & my brother.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, it's on my to-do list for today. So i'll go for a couple of rooms in the nearest Formule 1? They're all twin (after a fashion - double bed with a bunk over the top of it).

Forecast is quite promising. The new babies might get a run-out:

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Arno, fine by me.

Forecast highly promising Very Happy

btw, you seem to have forgotten to mount the 2nd binding on both of those monoskis Toofy Grin
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Hopefully the US East coast storm will end up in the alpes in about a weeks time... is it on your radar yet brian? Laughing
ski holidays
ok, we're booked into the Formule 1 nearest to the airport. 2 twins; EUR 29 per room per night. not too painful!
snow report
 brian
brian
Thanks Arno, just received from Edelweiss:

Powder Alert! wrote:

...and it is still snowing....we estimate a mere one meter of fresh powder on top, maybe more !
there has been falling so much snow in the last 12 hours, that the téléphérique decided to close the lifts for today.
so we are all busy waxing our skis and snowboards to be ready for first fresh tracks tomorrow morning...;o))

latest report
Thanks Arno

Those DPS look pretty tidy if we get conditions as highlighted above! Let's hope that Feb is snow month.
ski holidays
Guardian article here

http://travel.guardian.co.uk/article/2007/feb/11/skiing.wintersportsholidays.france
latest report
Arrow I just want to point out that I know that the models are a bit all over the place at the moment, but if the current forecast at netweather.tv pans out we are in for an absolute stonker Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can agree with that. I have been skiing 50-60cms of powder non stop for the last four days in La Grave.
snow report
flicksta, How far down can you comfortably get?

I reckon you guys have just hit it spot on. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Are we getting excited yet?

And your next starter for 10 is.....

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

(And I may even have some shiny new boots as well.....depending on how the fitting goes Confused )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN,

That was rule number 43...no shiney new kit...Laughing
ski holidays
 brian
brian
JT, I have a shiny new shovel (no, I'm not testing that !) so rule broken NehNeh Laughing
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
flicksta, How far down can you comfortably get?

I reckon you guys have just hit it spot on. Very Happy Very Happy

Yesterday - all the way to the village, although the bottom 150m vertical was bulletproof. I would say comfortable to P1. P3-P1 is absolutely excellent and the glacier is also amazing. Trifide 0, Trifide 1, Banane and Partout yesterday, all top notch.
snow report
There is a two page article in the In Gear section of today's Sunday Times.

The heading "How I fell for the Valley of Death" is a bit melodramatic, otherwise it's a good read.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richjp wrote:
There is a two page article in the In Gear section of today's Sunday Times.

The heading "How I fell for the Valley of Death" is a bit melodramatic, otherwise it's a good read.

To be fair, the whole thing is melodramatic and extremely inaccurate. Trifide 1 extends 2500ft to the valley? dangly bits. A 1500ft drop? My @rse.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Aaargh - just went to refill the patches that fell out of my skis after the trip to Cham a couple of weeks ago....and saw there's about 3cm of edge completely missing Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad . So bang goes my effort of nursing them through one last season. Odd thing is that I can't think of anything on the last day that would have caused such a loss - and I was certainly pushing things on the last run down with various types of racing turns and no obvious ill effects Shocked . (Ah maybe could have been the last 2m when the snow ran out a bit quick Embarassed )

Oh well, after fretting whether I could get my skis in the car to LG, it now looks like I'm going to be renting for the week.
snow report
GrahamN,

Bad luck. Any ski shops to be recommended? I like the sound of the BD shop and hopefully we can get sorted Friday evening.
snow report
 brian
brian
JT, flight not landing until 10pm, think it'll be Saturday morning. I'm renting too.

btw, Francois e-mailed (!) this morning to confirm the dates, so he hasn't forgotten us Laughing

Not looking like any new snow falling this week. Sunny and relatively mild as well, so I guess it'll be spring-ish by the weekend.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian,

I thought you were on our plane... but then I've forgotten what we arranged in August...!!!!!!
What are you looking for.... if we see some maybe we can put them by and you just need a binding check or something. What size boot are you?

It might be as well for a settled period, snow-wise. Good news on Francois.

richjp, Meet you in the bar sat night ?

As for the article, you can find stuff everywhere to get the ticker going so a bit of journo licence maybe... or the resort director commisioned it....Laughing
latest report
JT, will definitely have to be Sat am. Brian is on our plane, that's when we land too so none of us will be there till gone midnight....'get with the program' Wink . Don't know about any particular shops, as I didn't need to rent before. I think Charlotte mentioned a shop some point back in this thread though.

Big decision now is which boots to bring. I did get some shiny new boots on Sat, but they're very 'snug' and after a tryout at So'ton I needed to get them blown out big time, and haven't given them a try out since (will probably manage an hour ot two on Thrus eve) - so could turn into instruments of torture after a couple of days. Or the touring boots, which are very comfortable and work well, but significantly cuts down the availability of rental skis. Or my old boots, which are a bit bit and flop about a bit, but last a week fine, and will give full range of available skis. Decisions, decisions!!!

brian, did he suggest a meeting point? If not, I'd suggest the guides' office at 9:30 (to give us time to sort out rental skis - no ideas what time the shops open). I think the lifts open at 9am, and the guides' office is only the other side of the car park from the lift station. Pretty much all the rental shops are between the hotel and the guides' office.
snow report
 brian
brian
JT, so did I ??

Just checked, mine lands Lyon at 21.55pm. I'm off to look back through the thread ....

Edit: thanks GrahamN, he had me going for a second Laughing
snow report
flicksta, You were in LG last week ? So was I snowHead
snow conditions
GrahamN,

Sorry about that, got the other Heathrow trip in mind, still

Oh well, up early for breakfast and then shopping so 09:30 sounds good Laughing
I would have thought touring boots would have given you the best choice but as you say, decisions.
snow conditions
GrahamN,

Quote:

- no ideas what time the shops open).

Shops were all open 8 am (ish).... The queue started building for the lift at 8:45... If it was me I'd meet at 9........
ski holidays
ski wrote:
flicksta, You were in LG last week ? So was I snowHead

I was indeed, and what a week it was.

with regard to ski shops, I used both Objective Meije and Twinner. All the locals said Twinner had the best ski techs. They did a grind, fill in, wax and edge with partial delam gluing for a rather ridiculous 20 euros.
snow conditions
flicksta,
Quote:

I used both Objective Meije and Twinner

Me too. Teledaddies from Twinner snowHead AK Maidens from Objective Shocked

Where where you staying ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy