Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Apache Crossfire's

Poster: A snowHead
Im off to New Zealand for a months skiing and have just bought the 06/07 apache crossfire, i had been testing the crossfires and the new Streetracer 10s in the mk snowdome but although the crossfires seemed a little harder to handle they did seem like they would be a lot more fun, i did feel that the streetracers were really good too

what does everyone else think?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm after Crossfires as well (at the right price NehNeh )where did you get them?

I came to the same conclusion after testing them at the eosb
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I got them at Ellis Brigman in Milton Keynes, got them today, and im off to NZ on Friday, cant wait to get them on Smile paid £425 for them,
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
price looks what I expected.

Have fun in NZ and let us know how they behaved. snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you, will give a full report on their performance when i get back:)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
the Crossfires are a lot of hard work .. you need be well heavy or a very aggressive skier to get them going .. i found them a nightmare at low speed and they really knackered me out ... they were straight back to the hire shop after day one
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RichA, perhaps you went too long?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree with RichA, Crossfires are heavy and stiff as. Great for hard fast carving, but very hard work in bunps or off piste. Had mine a season and change to PE's - great fun.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The new ones seem to have been changed quite significantly, the turn radius is down from 16 to 14 which in itself is good, i had tested the streetracer 10s and they seemed to be just a slightly upgraded version of the 8s. I am a pretty aggressive skier and enjoy a physical battle, i was testing them for over 2 hours and they did seem fun, lets see Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
RichA, perhaps you went too long?

don't think so .. i had the 174cm which is about the same as my usual Fischer slalom carvers (RC4 Race SC) and i think all mountain skis like the Crossfires are supposed to be a bit longer
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RichA, what's your height/weight?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RichA, why on earth are you on 174s for slalom? I didn't think there was any reason to go longer than 165cm.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
RichA, what's your height/weight?

6ft .. 84 kilos at the moment but like to be around 80 in the ski season ... pretty reasonable skier and go alot - 7 times last season
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN wrote:
RichA, why on earth are you on 174s for slalom? I didn't think there was any reason to go longer than 165cm.

i said 'about the same'

think my Fischers are nearer 170cm actually ... i absolutely love them on piste and definitely wouldn't want to go any shorter

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 1-08-06 14:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For that height/weight, I'd consider:
160 for SL
170 for general use, but mainly on piste
175 for twin tip
178+ for off piste.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
For that height/weight, I'd consider:
160 for SL
170 for general use, but mainly on piste
175 for twin tip
178+ for off piste.

i was looking for an all mountain ski to use off piste so i thought the 174 cm rather than the next up at 184 would be the best

even on the best powder days you still have to use the piste a fair bit and i'd tried some Pocket Rockets in good powder earlier in the season but didn't really like them on the piste .... they were lovely in the deep stuff but felt unresponsive when it was abit firmer .... my search goes on
ski holidays
Public Enemies? http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=16997
Karmas?
Hot Rod Nitrous? (you might just find a brand new pair here for sale)
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat,

the public enemies certainly look the part but i'd need to try them and i'm spending far too much on ski hire anyway when i've already got 2 pefectly good pairs

shame i can't make that ski test in Castleford at the weekend ... where is Castleford anyway ?? sounds like Yorkshire .. are they doing any down south do you know ?
latest report
RichA, Castleford is close to Leeds.

Where abouts are you?
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, London but funnily enough I'm in Leeds this weekend for the cricket ... can't do both though.
ski holidays
RichA, what's your boot size (in mm)?
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
RichA, what's your boot size (in mm)?

323 on my old ones but i got some new ones in March which are smaller but i don't know what
snow report
My PEs are set up for 321mm - if you wanted to take them for a session in Xscape MK, I should be able to adjust them to your boots.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
My PEs are set up for 321mm - if you wanted to take them for a session in Xscape MK, I should be able to adjust them to your boots.

thanks, that's very kind of you .. i've never tried these indoor slopes ... is it possible to get a good feel for skis on them ??
snow report
RichA, you can get a feel for them, maybe not a good one, but if you're as judgemental as me, you'll be able to rule skis out very quickly. (normally 1 or 2 runs)
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, ok, cool .. maybe i'll give them a go in the autumn if that's convenient
latest report
RichA, sure - I'm in the UK most weekends.
snow report
Hi all,

Just got back from New Zealand and as promissed a quick report on the Crossfires, I was pretty lucky with the snow and the skiing both in Mount Hutt and Coronet peak was awesome, especially the views, didnt like the Remarkables at all and never got to Cadrona but i hear that area is pretty decent

anyway, apart from lumping the crossfires around the world and getting some very dodgy looks from the Fijian authoroties but especially the indian customs on the way back that couldnt understand what they were Smile i really enjoyed the ski's

The ski's are def hard work and at the end of the day my legs knew i had been skiing, but as far as carving is concerned i felt completely at ease and really got into the turns at speed even in a few icy areas they didnt try to throw me off, as for stability i was really surprised at how stable they were at speed, offpiste, now im not an expert off piste skier but i went down a few mountain sides and never had issues working them at slow speeds so all in all i am 100% glad that i took them and look forward to getting lots of use out of this new winter season that is not far away now
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You had a good time MKGuy, nice.

TBH after my last ski on them at castleford I have gone off them a little, will have to see what the PSB brings out.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy