Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Borovets Resort Report Feedback Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is a feedback thread for stevec's resort report:

Borovets (February 2006)

Feel free to add, comment, or write your own report...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hoppo, Having been to Borovets a good few years ago, I'd agree with this report, which I think is a fair representation of the place. It IS incredibly cheap compared to most ski resorts, but you do just get what you pay for. The food in our hotel was truly awful though, with the only edible meal at breakfast (because you could make your own toast in unlimited quantities....), the rooms were warm and clean, with plenty of hot water for the huge bath. There was a thriving trade in prostitution going on in the reception however, discouraged in no way by the hotel management. Shocked

Piste maintenance ranged from poor to non-existent, the hire equipment was also pretty rubbish, but the tuition was pretty good acording to our beginners/2nd year skiers. All in all, we chose this resort because it was cheap and a couple of our group were getting married two months later, so finances were tight, but they needed their snow fix. wink From that point of view and, due to very cheap apres, we had a good laugh, it was a success but I wouldn't bother again
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi all I'm new here.

To anyone who wants to go to Bulgaria to keep the cost down try Bansko. Superb ski area and lovely town makes it a superb resort for skiing at cheap prices. If anyone wants any more detailed info let me know. I have been the last 2 seasons and will be back again next year.

Val Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Val,

Im looking at going to Bulgaria, Bansko in the middle of Jan 2007, is this a good time of year to go? I normally go to the 3 valleys in France where there is pretty much a guarentee of snow but im looking for a cheaper trip for next year.

And advice and help would be great.

Cheers 0ppish.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val,

We are complete beginners to skiing and am considering Bulgaria, including Bansko as you suggested and was wondering if suitable for novices. Do you know of any online web packages for 1st week of February 2007, ideally flights from Manchester? Thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You mention Bulgaria these days and you end up talking about Bansko... even in a thread about Borovets! rolling eyes Laughing

I'd go along for the most part with stevec's report. The food in our hotel when we went (Rila) matched Madaboutsnow's experience though, pretty dreadful. Food out and about was okay though - Mama Cita's is a must, good food and good live music to go with it - all at Bulgarian prices!

As stevec said though, when the gondola closes you only have half the resort, so that bit gets busy - fine if you're an intermediate or above as the reds are still quite as it has a very high proportion of beginners at the resort - thus, I wouldn't really recommend it to beginners. Grooming isn't that good and the beginner runs are ridiculously busy (dangerous even - my mum ended up hobbling around with a twisted ankle for weeks after one accident). Also, when the gondola is closed, the beginners are limited to about two drag lifts - leading to huge (and I mean huge) queues, which almost make using the lift a meaningless experience (as you have to side-step about 3/4s of the way up the slope to join the queue!).

Good for an early intermediate on a budget, or (at quiet times) a beginner who fancies a challenge!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We went to Borovets 2 years ago and I'd certainly agree about the hotel food! We stayed in Samakov Hotel, which supposed to be 4* but would pass for a 3* elsewhere. Breakfast wasn't too bad as toast, eggs and pastries were on the menu each morning however the evening meal was quite awful! It is so cheap to eat out though in the resort that its not worth putting up with the bad food in the hotels and there is some really nice restaurants too. We had lessons whilst we were there, which were really good value but as we were doing nearly all the red runs by the end of the week can't imagine it being too challenging for the more experienced skier.

The nightclub underneath our hotel had a reputation for the prostitutes but I must admit although we spotted a few who would definitely pass for them we never experienced any problems whilst we were there! Top tip from me is speak to the instuctors to find out the best places to eat and a recommendation of what local dishes to try - we did this and ended up eating some of the nices meals I have had!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Furbag has added a report on Borovets for this year:

Borovets (February 2007)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm planning to check out Borovets when I'm in Sofia in two weeks time, I'll post a report afterwards.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sounds like it has not changed, I went several years ago, stayed at the Rila, bad food, prostitution, cheap beer, vibrant black market in vodka and Marlboros. Skiing was then as is now, long queues gondola shut in bad weather which really limits the resort.

On the plus overall cost was cheaper (sounds like they still have that benefit) and tuition for beginner or 2nd year skier was very good, we had an instructor for the whole day at a fraction of cost for Alpine instruction.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David_S, On gondola's being shut, many ski holidays I've been on have involved gondolas been shut for some part of the week, although I suppose it depends on how much of the ski area is shut off because of it. It really sounds like the wild west but sure isn't travel all about adventure!

P.S. http://www.borovets-bg.com is the official website, not a bad site
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been once, complete dump, cheap booze, rubbish snow, rubbish lifts, nightlife so-so, hotel food appalling, never again!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Crowd of us going in beginning of March. All Lads so not so bothered about all the drawbacks. We are used to bulgaria anyway. However leaving it so close to departure time we have been told we cannot book ski packs in advance? Anyone know how much we can expect to pay in the resort? We usually go for the full pack ie skis/boots lift pass tuition all in

Cheers
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TBH we had a cracking time, not sure if that came across to well in the report or not , I'm pretty sure we will be going back.

Not sure you could say it was a complete dump Shocked I actually found it to have a certain charm about it snowHead

We never suffered much with lift ques but then we didnt seem to run into many problems that week, certainly we qued more in tremblant on somedays, than we did in Borovets

Fur
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy