Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you store skis?

Poster: A snowHead
My new toys turned up yesterday and I thought, I know just the place for those - laying flat across the joists in the shed.

It's then that it dawned on me that this may not be the best place for them. If I lay them on their bases, they sit flat so I'm concerned that over time they may lose the natural shape, ditto if I lay them up the other way or on either of the edges.

So how should we store skis when not in use and at what temperature range?

Many thanks all
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mine are in the grenier, leaning against a rather beetle-eaten joist. Temperature ranges from sub-zero to 30C+. I doubt if it matters, though the gear-freaks on here will undoubtedly say you should only ever store them upside down, wrapped in Alaskan eelskin and at a constant temperature of exactly 27.987C
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lizzard, Toofy Grin snowHead Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mine are under the bed. Sometimes in it. They need cuddles just like anyone else.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, just as well I have some Alaskan eelskin then wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I store mine upright in my ski cupboard right beside this computer, with their bases facing away from the wall.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I store mine in our ski locker, the one with a space for another pair of ski's I should win at a bargain price soon Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
indoors, seperated & vertical on tails:

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The most important think is that they are in a dry well ventilated space, so if tools in your shed/garage/loft or wherever tend to go rusty don't store your skis there, the enemy of the ski is rust, those nice shiny edges are high carbon steel which rusts easily, so long as the skis are not strapped tightly base to base I don't think it matters a great deal as to what position they are left in (althougn not resting on their tips goes without saying)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, (from a scouser in Southport).....my that's a tidy cupbord! wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Madaboutsnow, tidyness is the first sign of madness Twisted Evil
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, my husband and children must all be incredibly sane...... Confused
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
...if you are storing them in a garage or buildign with a concrete floor do NOT have them touching the floor.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, why not? Do you mean touching the concrete?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, yeah, keep them OFF concrete floors. Concrete is a great store of mositure, until you put something on it, like a pair of skis...
snow report
Under the bed in our apartment in Bourg - They take their chance with the deckchairs, left over paint and climbing gear for the Summer - guess I never considered the need for careful storage before
latest report
How are you meant to store twin tips?

Surely having them vertical nakars the rear tip?
snow report
Jono, ya trash 'em all day in the park & then ya worried about storin' 'em. Don't be a tart wink
snow report
Jono, why would it knacker the rear tip ?
ski holidays
spyderjon, oh yeah, and you're calling somebody a tart when you've posted THAT picture. Smile thing to indicate nor being too serious.
ski holidays
spyderjon, haha.
You can't call me a tart when you bought boots to match your skis NehNeh
latest report
Jono wrote:
spyderjon, haha.
You can't call me a tart when you bought boots to match your skis NehNeh

I wouldn't say that - I think his boots are quite good... Laughing
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
boredsurfin, yeah, keep them OFF concrete floors. Concrete is a great store of mositure, until you put something on it, like a pair of skis...

I check my ski locker floor on Friday Confused
snow report
boredsurfin, if it's your own locker, just put a sheet of wood down, or something like that.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, If it is concrete I shall seek advice from an emminent Stuctural surveyor of our aquaintance, but probably put dowmn a vapour barrier and then a raised wooden floor.

Actually, the ski locker has a heated floor and is carpeted so I guess its OK but you can't be too careful with brand new ski's wink
snow conditions
boredsurfin, if there's carpet down, then it's ok...
ski holidays
Beside my desk is my ski cupboard.

Here's some tails...

...and some more great tips from yours truly Laughing ...

latest report
Quote:

Actually the concrete floor is not really the problem, it's the fact that a concrete floor in a garage is cooler than the surrounding air temprature so encourages any moisture to condense out of the air, the best place to store skis in a typical UK house (assuming you don't have damp problems) would be somewhere inside the centrally heated part of the building, ontop/inside a wardrobe or under a bed would be good choices
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, if there was a problem, you could just put a small rubber mat on the concrete floor under the skis...
ski holidays
what about the bindings? do you store skis with them with ....
(a) as they would normally be with your boots out (not sure if this has a technical term) i.e. effectively "sprung out" ; OR
(b) as they would be when you are skiing, with boots clicked in

?

thanks!
snow report
http://www.newschoolers.com/cultvideo/462740.0/SUMMER-STORAGE---Tech-Talk---Season-3?s=4770&t=2&o=8
snow report
StephenS wrote:
(a) as they would normally be with your boots out (not sure if this has a technical term) i.e. effectively "sprung out" ; OR

?

thanks!

StephenS, good find on a 6yr old thread. Glad to see someone using the search function.

Yes to (a).

And there's no need to slacken off the DIN settings.
snow conditions
spyderjon, you are far to organised!!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 11-05-12 11:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
StephenS wrote:

?

thanks!

StephenS, good find on a 6yr old thread. Glad to see someone using the search function.

Yes to (a).

And there's no need to slacken off the DIN settings.

I've heard many say otherwise about the bindings, that if you leave them high for a year without using them they'll stay in that form and lose their elasticity, makes sense but have you tested otherwise?
ski holidays
thanks - appreciate the quick reply!
latest report
Quote:

I've heard many say otherwise about the bindings, that if you leave them high for a year without using them they'll stay in that form and lose their elasticity, makes sense but have you tested otherwise?

A very interesting concept about steel (which the springs in bindings are made of) creeping under load. It started my imagination running and thinking about bridges gently sagging, reinfoced concrete gadually collapsing, the empire state building getting shorter every year. Leave the bindngs alone.
latest report
mag1882 wrote:
.....I've heard many say otherwise about the bindings, that if you leave them high for a year without using them they'll stay in that form and lose their elasticity, makes sense but have you tested otherwise?

mag1882, there's not one binding manufacturer that says to either close the bindings &/or slacken off the din settings. Anything that you've heard is either ol' wives tales or info from back in the day when the materials degraded a lot more over time.

I've had a pair of Vist 4-12 din Free bindings for six years now which have only had one weeks use back in '06. One toe/heel set has had their dins wound fully down & the heel down for six years & the other toe/heel set has had their dins set to 12 & the bindings left up/open for six years. At the start of every January I adjust both sets to 8 din torque them on my Huber machine & they test bang on. That's good enough for me wink

For this reason I've no reason to doubt the annually issued NSSRA Indemnified Binding List. What does concern me however is that there have been a few bindings launched in recent years for top money that are pretty plasticy & whilst they still torque test ok they flex waaay too much when being tested for me to be confident in them & I expect them to be removed from the Indemnified List pretty quickly.
snow report
Oh right thanks for that, glad you have the facts to back it up too
snow report
Hofmeister, Our family skis are in the basement cave. Dry, dark even temperature. I leave leave around 4 dozen bottles of Leffe and some wine too just in case they get thirsty and want to talk about me when I'm not there Shocked Shocked
latest report
Jivebaby, I am ashamed of you. fancy corrupting your skis with alcohol yet not letting them have a brandy. I keep a pair of ski boots with mine so they really know who their friends are. Some vermin poison is also there just in case the mice take a fancy using the boots as bedding - or drinking the wine.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy