Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Grand Massif at Christmas - looking for someone to ski with

Poster: A snowHead
A group of my Irish/English cousins have rented a chalet in Samoens for Christmas and I'm flying over from the US to join them on a week's ski holiday. Unfortunately (for me), none of them have ever skied before so I'll be spending 7 days skiing alone unless I can find some people to ski with....

I ski black runs and like to ski off piste as much as possible. I'm not expecting the snow to be sufficient for any real off piste adventures but if I get very lucky and the snow is really good, I'd love to hire an off piste guide for the day. With 4 or 5 people, a guide is very affordable and can provide transceivers and other avy equipment (if you don't have your own). If the snow isn't spectacular, I'd still like to find some black-run skiers who might want company. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
irishskier, welcome to snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi irishskier, welcome to snowHeads and I hope you find some company! snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
irishskier, Welcome to snowHeads, I'm sure somebody will be in the area around Xmas.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Irish Skier

We are black run/off piste snowboarders and might be hiring a guide from Samoens sometime between 27th Dec -2nd Jan if you're interested.

FS
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think Stevo the Saddler is a skier who knocks about in Samoens most holidays too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi FS,

Thanks for responding! I arrive in Samoens on the 23rd of Dec. and fly out on the 30th. I will definitely be skiing the 28th and 29th and would love to hire a guide on one of those days. Hopefully, the snow will be worth skiing off piste Smile

I'm working on getting a mobile phone that works in Europe prior to my trip (my US phone won't work anywhere but in the US) so hopefully, I'll have a contact number where you can reach me when you arrive in France.

Meanwhile, I'll be available on this forum and by sending me a PM. Shall we check in closer to December? It seems like a long time from now but I'm sure it will be here before we know it. Thanks again for replying and I'm excited that there are so many great people and die-hard skiers on this site.

Helen

PS Thanks everyone for the welcome messages!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oopps...I meant to say die-hard skiers AND snowboarders! I usually ski with a group of snowboarders - I even board myself on occasion but am still a beginner so will have to stick to skis for black runs and off piste.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
irishskier,

Sure let's check in closer to the time. In resort, we can be found in Coveys - John and Shane know us (we are Steve and Alison). We don't use mobiles in resort (too expensive) so we've got 2 way radios. If you've got some, we can tell you our frequency, that way if we miss a rdv, we can call on the mountain.

Get ready to do your snow dance!

FS Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
irishskier,

You'll have a great time in Samoens, but a word to the wise about radios. US personal mobile radios work on a totally different set of frequencies to european ones (that's the voice of bitter experience you hear - we had to buy a set of each as we ski both sides of the atlantic).

Get your irish/english cousins to splash out about £30 on a cheap set in the uk at maplins or argos or somewhere like that. They come in pairs so if you get one to contact Freestyle your cousins can keep the other one and you'll be able to keep in touch with them too.

CW
(from Ireland too!)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks CW! It never would have occurred to me that my American Motorola Talkabout wouldn't be able to "talk" to a European Motorola Talkabout (presuming you use Motorolas over there) and I would have spent a lot of wasted time trying to reach Freestyle....

I've had trouble in the past with different brands of radios not communicating with each other, regardles of the fact that they were using the same frequency. For that reason, most people stick with Motorolas over here as they seem to work with each other really well. But it makes sense (now that I think about it) that the European frequencies are different..... Thanks again for the info!

Helen
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
irishskier,
No worries Helen, we irish need to look out for each other wink

For a one-off trip, I would suggest there's no need to splash out the £70 or so (over $100) on a set of Talkabout 5522 or 5622 (like we bought in the US). There are less expensive options that work just as well, in our experience.

Enjoy

CW
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Helen,

I'm with my family in the Grand Massif 23-30th (Les carroz), none of them have ever skied before either so looking at solo week at the moment . I'm a decent black run skier, not so hot on the off piste but looking to improve if the snow allows so would definitely be up for hiring a guide if we get a decent dump. In any case it would be great to have some company so let me know if you still need some.

Harry
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
irishskier,

You might want to remove your e-mail address from there...to stop spamming etc and do the finer contact details by PM.
or a mod will be alone to do it if you want
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
irishskier, I think JT has the right idea. I hope you don't mind but I've removed your e-mail address and suggested that any reply should be sent by PM.
ski holidays
Hi Harry,

The dates of your holiday match mine perfectly. I don't know if I'll be skiing on the 23rd as that's my arrival date but I'll be out bright and early on the 24th. I'd love some company and definitely still need some as Freestyle won't be arriving until later in the week. We'll have to figure out some way to meet up - I'll have an Irish mobile phone with me (Irish phone number/sim card) so maybe we can text message one another. From what Cardweg said above, my Motorola talkabout won't be on the same frequencies as European radios so no help there. And I'm not too optimistic that my Irish cousins will pick up a pair of radios - so far, they haven't bought one thing I've told them to buy (I'm about to mail a shipment of ski gear over to them because none of them have even bought ski gloves yet:) And I won't have room in my suitcase for enough extra clothes to outfit 10 people!

I have a feeling we'll be spending a lot of time at Covey's during our holiday but I don't know how close it is to Le Carroz. And we can't pick a certain lift at a certain time because there's no telling what will be open that early in the season. Let me know if you'll have a mobile with you and I'll PM you my mobile number. Or if you know a particular restaurant on the slopes or a good place to meet, let me know. I'm usually on the first cable car of the day so no time is too early. Hope to see you at Christmas!!!

Helen

PS - thanks Peter for taking my email address down. I didn't even think about spammers.
ski holidays
Hi Helen!

Good plan re the mobiles and Harry...Covey's isn't near Les Carroz (it's a different village round the mountain on the road to Flaine). I will PM you our mobile number too.

Freestyle Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy