Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trying out hire skis before buying

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys...Grateful for any advice on trying out different hire skis before buying.

I bought my own skis in the UK before trying out the model on the slopes, and luckily when they did get a proper trial on snow they were great! However, I've promised to get my boyfriend (who's only been skiing twice) a pair of skis for our next ski holiday and I've read a lot on snowheads that its really important to try out skis before buying...

Now, this might sound really daft...but how does this work in resort????

Do you go to the retail bit of the shop and tell them you're interested in buying, and they hire you a pair to try for the day, or do you go to the hire store and ask for help there?

Any advice gratefully received!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Christina,

If you are generally interested in buying you could mention it when you hire and they might/should discount the price of the hire against the cost of new skis
Rental shops can be quite protective of skis so will only rent/lend out a pair which they don't think will get damaged. So try not to trash them.

Maybe, just maybe it is too soon to buy skis as a 2 weeker as you might outgrow them pretty quickly and building in a ski purchase for 4-5 years might hinder learning. Of course, things might be different but when I had only skied 2 weeks I would have been a keen/progressive beginner whereas now you might be intermediate. I'll let someone else define that, but you get the jist..
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If he's only been skiing twice before unless he's a swift learner (or twice means 2 seasons) then try before you buy is probably a bit meaningless. If you want to get a pair of skis I'd say something like get a pair of cheap and cheerful skis from Decathlon and not worry about it too much. On the other hand ski carriage costs are often so high now that renting is often more cost efficient and the real reason you'll have your own skis is to have higher performing gear than is readily available for rental.

In response to you main question any decent retail shop in resort should carry a stock of demo skis, not necessarily in all sizes but enough to get an idea & credit rental of up to a few days against purchase.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Christina, I'd agree that after 2 weeks it might be a bit early to buy a pair as he'll hopefully be improving quickly and could be advancing in preferred ski level every year if not more often.

If you still really want to buy him a pair, I doubt trying them would be that beneficial as he's unlikely to know what he's looking for.

If he particuarly likes rental pair and it's towards the end of the season you can always try and buy them ... the rental shops very often give fantastic deals then as they've come to the end of their useful life but would still give you a few weeks use.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Christina, We demo all the new models of our range. You take the ski, change it if you want and after 5 days if you don't buy a ski, you pay premium rental(around 22€per day), if you buy a ski you pay the price of the ski and we let you test for free.

Some SNOWHEADS have been known to be able to Demo ski's for free, with no obligtion to buy, however some have, bought that is, with a discount, of 10%. However our range of skis are not to all tastes, FAST and FAT. Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Christina, I would just have to echo what most people have already said. Basically 2 weeks experience is too soon to own a pair of skis. He would be better off renting until he's done around 6 weeks or so. I don't think testing will make any difference to a two week skier, unless he's supremely talented (National or International level in another sport) as he won't yet be able to feel the difference in skis.

If you're determined to get him something, and I assume he's already got boots (which you should always buy before skis), then just ask advice for a good intermediate learning ski and go with that. They'll be cheaper in resort probably BTW. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy