Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The differences between rental and private bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Nick Zotov, true (well certainly in perception). When demoing the Volkl AC4s (good archetypical German build, and accompanying weight) at "the event that must not be named" it felt significantly harder to get them out of the snow for jump/short-swing turns than the other skis I used that day.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The difference between rental and private bindings is usually the degree of confidence you have in them releasing at the right time. At the event we can not name I hired some skis specially for race day. Yes, I know it's sad but I'm competitive, what can I say. The skis were great but the bindings were crap. I had very little confidence they'd release at the right moment and if they did, I wasn't convinced the brakes would stop them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thread a bit techy for me so far - but from a practical point of view rental bindings are FXXXing heavy cf with regular ones - GF has bought ex rental skiis and the bindings seem to be made of lead - However if you ever need to knock a wall down you can borrow them as they seem indestructible
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd go the other way I and say my wife has a pair of ex demo Volkl 724 with Marker rental bindings on them which seem to allow adjustment of heel and toe position and centre point, and are a lot lighter than my atomic bindings or the salomon bindings I have waiting to be mounted to another pair of skis. Rental bindings used to always suck, but seem better thes days , and now we are all standing tall on various mounting plates/systems, I wonder if there is that much difference?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
veeeight wrote:
I wonder where they get their -15% in weight from, from my sheets the 05/06 Railflex LD12 is 2440g, and the 06/07 RFD12 is 2440g. Confused

I heard back from them: apparently 'the only binding that is 15% lighter is the RF10 binding, the rest have the same weight as last year."
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For growing kids/teenagers I cannot reccommend rental bindings highly enough. It enables skis to last more than a season and to be handed down from child to child too.
Quick visit to a friendly technician and you/they are ready to go.

We went one step further and got rental bindings on all our skis:
A) they are close to indestructable
B) if you change boots (and some have different shell dimensions) you don't need to re-mount
C) for-aft adjustment for snow conditions, or stance change....why do 99.9% of techies just mount to the marked mid point without discussing your style/stance etc?
D) Can lend skis to friends who are visiting us, thus saving them the rental cost/hassle

Weight is the only negative...and once you are skiing it is hardly ever a factor (Nick Zotov...tsk tsk! What was that comment about unweighting to turn...that is so 2002 wink !)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rungsp wrote:
..... (Nick Zotov...tsk tsk! What was that comment about unweighting to turn...that is so 2002 wink !)

Maybe. A useful option to have available, though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
It's only subtle, but the new Z12's without the spheric ball feel much more secure and the skis more responsive edge to edge. Much more "feel" and transmission of what's going on comes through my feet.

I am still a Tyrolia kinda guy anyway.

Forgot to add - I really don't like the plastic toe piece cap on the Z10 and Z12. Feels not very durable, to put it politely.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alot of places seem to use marker m1000 and m1100 bindings, when I rented some rossignol scratch skis recently they came with a tyrolia binding which didn't seem anywhere near as burly as the tyrolia. I am pretty happy with the salomon s12ti bindings but I hear alot of freestyle skiers like to use look pivot/rossi axial bindings as they have a better release mechanism.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Edmundh009, one of the reasons I use the Rossis cause they are easy to put on in deep pow - you can pull the binding onto your boot - you don't need to push the boot into the binding.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nick Zotov wrote:
rungsp wrote:
..... (Nick Zotov...tsk tsk! What was that comment about unweighting to turn...that is so 2002 wink !)

Maybe. A useful option to have available, though.
And an essential part of Jump Turns!!!!!!

My skis are extremely heavy (Volant Chubbs) so the bindings (actually Salomon S9-12) could never make them even light-ish. (I bought them almost-new, so had no option about bindings)

They are actually 5.2kg as a combination - on my not very accurate bathroom scales. Fantastic stability and to smash through crud but difficult for jump turns!
Anyone else with comparable skis, weight-wise?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
veeeight, Don't know if you have access to these, but any chance you could post the chart for the 07 Tyrolias and Salomons as well?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball, yep - my skis are about 5kg a pair before bindings so, with Fritschi Freerides, they're about 6.5kg.

I find jump turns pretty exhausting whatever I have strapped to my feet so I avoid them if at all possible
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno wrote:
snowball, yep - my skis are about 5kg a pair before bindings so, with Fritschi Freerides, they're about 6.5kg.

I find jump turns pretty exhausting whatever I have strapped to my feet so I avoid them if at all possible
BEFORE bindings Shocked Well, yes, that IS heavy. I assume a fat ski? But I think of mine as a semi-fat which is OK on piste, though obviously not a carver.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes - they're Dynastar Legend Pros. They're fat and (due to their general burliness) pretty good on piste too. Big turn radius though...
snow conditions
Quote:

veeeight, Don't know if you have access to these, but any chance you could post the chart for the 07 Tyrolias and Salomons as well?

I don't currently have the 06/07 Salomon product sheets, but I have the Tyrolia one.

Right Click, Save As

Re: unweighting..... although I personally try not to use the term "weight" myself - most turns in skiing will involve one of the 3 flavours of unweighting in the transition. If you're not "unweighting", you're probably not skiing well.
snow conditions
veeeight, Thanks very much.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy