Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coach to France?

Poster: A snowHead
Am looking at booking for next Jan (bit late I know). One option for getting there is a coach. Of course I'd sit in the back of a transit van for 12 hours if it means an extra day or so on the slopes....but some of my friends aren't too sure.

So, I was wondering if anyone here has taken the coach option before? Does it live up to the luxurious description?

Oh, this will probably be through Ski Olympic.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have done the Alps by coach 4 times now. 2 w/e and 2 for week hols. It has been fine (cheap and cheerful) and I have generally managed to get some sleep. Not tried Ski Olympic though.

If they offer you legroom upgrade - take it.

HTH
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ray Zorro wrote:
If they offer you legroom upgrade - take it.

Definitely.

I did a coach from Victoria to Lauterbrunnen once. Yes, it was cheaper than flying. Yes, we got to see some very nice scenery on the way down. Yes, we travelled through the night, so saved some time.
BUT...
Sore legs.
Little sleep (well, I'm not a great sleeper at the best of times)
Less room than on a sleazyjet.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
edde, I have seen some folks get off the Ski Olympic bus. They seemed tired but said that the journey was comfortable and roomy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would echo Wear The Fox Hat. Have done 3 trips to Austria by coach. The first was a complete nightmare as I had to meet up with the coach in London and was the last person to arrive becuase of train delays and I ended up with the seat next to the central door i.e with the least legroom and my knees jammed up against a solid barrier. Most uncomfortable journey I have ever had Evil or Very Mad Made sure I was first on for the return journey.

PAY FOR THE UPGRADE
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have been on Ski Olympic Coach to La Plagne and back- they were hired to bus us out at beginning and end of season! Its not a normal coach- it has more than enough legroom, radio, tv a little man serving toasties and drinks through the night etc, the seats recline, without imposing on the person behind you like on a plane. I was pleasantly suprised and would go on it again no probs!

I dont think there are any seats you could upgrade to as theyve all got loads of legroom - and I mean loads! I was sat opposite a 6'4'' guy and he was fine!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've done the coach trip once (after many flights and a couple of snowtrains). I'd agree with Nadenoodlee, on all points and I'd definitely do it again. Only lesson learnt from last time is to take one of those neck cushions that stop your head rolling around when sleeping. The seats do recline a long way (further than plane seats) but don't expect a full night's sleep. Waking up to fresh bacon butties was one of the highlights Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
is is that much cheaper then flying in january..?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I haven't done a coach trip to the Alps, but i did an overnighter in Peru. The seats reclined to flat, and once you'd wrapped yourself in the blankets (supplied) and put on the walkman and the eye cover thingy (not supplied) to blank out the non stop Spanish video on the TV, it wasn't too bad. Given the quality of driving on the pan-American highway, doing it with your eyes shut has a lot to recommend it. I have to say that I wouldn't seriously consider it to the Alps; how much can you save on a a cheap air fare?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
edde, If it's Ski Olympic you should be fine, I've been on two of their buses and they're big with loads of legroom (but double check with them 'cos that was 2&3 years ago) There are other bus journeys and they can be 'iffy' ... think National Express leg room. But that extra day is worth it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
edde, I've travelled to Lyons from London by coach, it was cheap and you get what you pay for. I don't think I'd do it again.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been on Ski Olympic trips for the last 4 years and have tried the train, and coach.

The train (Eurostar to Gard du Nord then sleeper from Gare d'Austerlitz) would be ok if was not for the transfer across Paris on the Metro, not so bad going but a pita on the way home.

The Coach is as described by the others, good leg room even if you are 6' plus but slow and I didn't sleep much.

We now organise our own flights and stay at the IBIS in Moutiers on the Saturday night which means we arrive fresh and raring to go first thing on Sunday morning.

We hire a car but if you get a train or coach to Moutiers the Ski Olympic coach will normally pick you up as they pass through Moutiers on the Sunday morning.

Just booked Courchevel for January only 187 sleeps to go ! snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was on Lake Geneva with school (in Evian, a couple of hours from Chamonix - we visited the glacier on Mont Blanc) last week and we went by bus. Also went skiing in Valloire with school travelling by coach. It's fine as long as you don't get idiots talking till four in the morning (unlikely as you probably won't be travelling with 16 year olds). Quick hint: buy some Stugeron tablets. They take away travel sickness and make you amazingly drowsy all in one go!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've done quite a few trips (12+) by coach to the Alps over the last few years. As long as you are not expecting a full nights sleep, and can make do with a couple of hours at a time then it usually isn't too bad.
As others have mentioned, take a 'neck' pillow to stop any sudden movements that will wake you up, another good one is a set of earplugs, and have a couple of beers on the ferry.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
edde, I just don't trust coaches so won't go on one. That probably doesn't help, does it?
ski holidays
We did two family trips by coach, to La Rosiere with Ski Olympic and to Valmeinier with Snowcoach. No problem, good quality of coaches and driving, two extra days ski pass and gear hire for the cost saved over the air-based package. With kids there is a lot to be said for being dumped right outside the accommodation with all your luggage and not having to hang around airports waiting for baggage and buses. The kids moaned a bit at the prospect, but given the choice of going by plane with two days less ski-ing they soon came round to the idea. You need to check access to your accommodation on arrival - Ski Olympic gave us facilities but with Snowcoach we had to dump gear in the kids' games room and had no access to rooms till later in the day. We had been made aware of this, though, and I had made sure in advance that all the gear necessary to get six kids onto the slopes in 20 minutes flat was all packed in one bag with nothing missing. Packing on the way back was a lot less scientific - but there's nothing like a long day on the slopes to help you sleep on the way back. We had no problem with rowdy fellow passengers, everyone was quiet and friendly, though those "student specials" where you just buy a return coach ticket might be full of drunken bums. I would guess that a good quality coach is a lot more comfortable than those Eurostar overnight trips (ie not sleepers) and often better than charter airlines, too. Loads of people sit on uncomfortable planes for even longer, going to North American resorts, AND still have to do a long transfer the other end.
snow report
While I would rather fly- if you actually look at your door to door time travelling by plane including check in/check out, A coach jorney is not as horiffic as it may seem if its a roomy coach with nice seats and an un-blocked toilet
snow report
I've done quite a few trips to the Alps, but quite a few years ago. Bum-numbing experience. Based on that wouldn't want to do it again. But it looks as though things may have improved. One thing though, if you change coaches personally watch out that your luggage has been transferred with you. I was assured it would be, once. It wasn't.
ski holidays
I did it twice and would do it again - if I didn't live 35 minutes from the cable car.

I actually found the experience relaxing mostly because of the door to door aspect. The second time we had enough people going from my office that they picked us up from there - still wasted a lot of time going in and out of London both ways though.

I got an acceptable amount of sleep on the way out and slept like a log on the way back.

My tips:
pay for more legroom
earplugs - in case you get a group that just wants to drink their way to the alps
pillow - I personally find a proper one more comfortable and you do not have a problem with the amount of luggage in a coach
sleeping bag - the first time it actually got a bit chilly in the coach especially if you are near a door for the obligatory cigarette stop every 2 hours in the middle of the night
don't sit near the door - see above
snow conditions
edde, I have had several coach trips the last couple of seasons (Switzerland, Austria and Italy), I echo the comments of several others, pillow, ear plugs, warm clothes and some food (fresh fruit) and water. The coach trips I have taken have been freebies, if I have to pay I will fly or self drive.
ski holidays
I used to do London-Aviemore many times by bus, and have done London-Tignes and London-Puy St Vincent.

The quality of the experience is very much down to the quality of the bus, but if the price is cheap it's worth doing. In terms of fuel consumption per passenger it's environmentally friendly.
latest report
Dunk, Would that be in a bus full of school children ?
latest report
I've done it enough times and it wouldn't be an option nowadays.
For me, driving is the best, followed by a train and then the plane because 2 hrs on one bores me senseless... Coaches are so slow so for me, the worst/longest option.
latest report
ski, Good guess wink
snow report
Nightmare, don't do it, unless you really have no other option. Done it 3-4 times, would happily pay more to fly.
ski holidays
The whole idea makes me cringe - I'm a bad road passenger at the best of times!
ski holidays
Last year our big group (26) went by coach as it was cheaper. 7 of us objected and flew and met them there. However, they all said the coach trip was fine Shocked . Next year's trip is now booked. It is, by consensus, all by plane Laughing .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy