Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Elan S10

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, does anyone have experience of these skis?

Mrs H has relented so I will be buying 2 pairs for the coming season as long as I keep the cost down, i.e. buy second hand. I have my eyes on a pair of Apache Recons (if testing at Castleford confirms what I've heard) for softer conditions. What I'm now looking for is a ski for hard & fast piste conditions and have seen a pair of Elan S10s at a reasonable price.

Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SHello, softer conditions . . . Castleford . . .

Sorry I've just wet me'sen.

EDIT 2:rolling eyes it's the medication I tell you . . . this post is in reference to the Apache Recons

edit: I rode last year's version there and they handled the cruddy conditions very nicely for an old incompetent like myself. I think I said that at the end of the day when you're a bit fragged, they will not bite you and spit you into a tree if you're clumsy, in the back seat or just plain p*ssed from the bar on the hill, they'll just get you home safe. Yet at the same time all the big guys in the reviews tell you they kick ass all over the hill. I figure the getting home in one piece is just as important.
If I didn't have my heart set on some B5s, they'd be next.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 15-07-06 17:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque, do you expect to demo Speedwaves?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
comprex, Havin'a weird day see edit above. The Elans I tried at C'ford were the little slalom skis and a complete hoot and boogerall use other than for having huge fun on hard pistes.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, thanks for feedback and sorry to hear you having a weird day - reading the post again perhaps I should of been a little more specific.

Buying 2 pairs of skis for the coming season. The Apache Recons come highly recommended so with the forthcoming ski test, if I get on with them there, I shall purchase a pair. I realise it won't be possible to try them out in the conditions I'm planning to use them in, but it will give me an idea about how they feel.

That leaves finding a a pair of skis for hard & fast piste conditions and that is why I am looking for feedback on the Elan S10's. I know where I can get my hands on some for reasonable money but I don't know anything about them or know of anyone who has ever tried them.

So all you Elan owners/triers out there I'd appreciate any comments.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SHello, I tested the Recons in La Rosiere in March 05 & they were very good. By all accounts the Recons are a great 'all mountain' ski (do most things pretty well) & as such are designed to be a 'one ski quiver'. My own personal preference in this type of ski is the b5 which I ended up buying.

I skied my b5's in soft snow & found them lacking in underfoot width when it got over knee depth. The b5's are a great piste ski but if I was planning to buy a piste specific ski (67-70mm underfoot) I'd go for a more specific off-piste ski (ie, wider underfoot, longer, softer etc) rather than a ski like the Recon at just 78mm underfoot.

If you like the K2/Recon feel then the Outlaw at 88mm underfoot would be worth a test.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon,

Defo, want to test a long Outlaw and if it tracks along the lines of a Recon it will be a very good ski.

The Recon is indeed a good one quiver ski but expect it to have some outer limits, ie, it will blow out of the hardest pack and will tip dive in the deepest snow. But then IMV, all skis will have limits and for a twin set, I'd go for an out and out GS/SL ski with an edge hold to die for and a Fatty-boy for OP. Its not reasonable for most of us to be able to ski anything, anywhere
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SHello, are you looking at a Fusion model? Marker or Tyrolia? I liked both the S8 and the S10 as tree skis, a bit livelier than the 5stars in 176cm for 92kg. Not exactly a 'speed' ski, and I'm not as fast as ssh either.

(Oh, and I wouldn't buy my friend's used S10s, they've lost way too much camber over 2 seasons under 95kg)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. The whole plot has changed somewhat in that after much sole searching, decision made to buy 1 new pair of 'all mountain' skis for both myself and Mrs H.

So Mrs H now has a pair of Head Wild Thang's and I have on order a pair of Volkl AC3 Unlimited - at €350 included bindings it would of been rude not too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SHello, Brought mrs kevinrhead a pair of Wild Thangs last week at her request. Which gives me a excuse to go shopping for myself.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SHello, AC3 - a cracking ski & at a bargain price. Nice one.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy