Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zakopane - any useful advice

Poster: A snowHead
Have looked at some of the comments about this resort, but wondered if anyone has any more info on this resort?

Sounds like it may be an interesting destination, but I wondered about the infrastructure? Any info would be really useful.

Many thanks.

Mark
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mark Hunter, Hi - take a look at www.sunshineworld.co.uk Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Madaboutsnow, have you been there? Info on infrastructure, quality of gear etc is what I'm after.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here's a list of the bars:
http://www.zakopane-life.com/zakopane/where_to_drink/pubs_cafes_search.php
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The first entry on that bar list seems to be Anemon, reviewed by Alan Beavers:

Quote:
Anemon
reviewed by alan beavers
from United Kingdom
on Jul.08.2006
"a lovely place to drink,me and my partner william ejoy it very much,be cumming again"

An interesting use of Freudian spelling
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith wrote:
The first entry on that bar list seems to be Anemon, reviewed by Alan Beavers:

Quote:
Anemon
reviewed by alan beavers
from United Kingdom
on Jul.08.2006
"a lovely place to drink,me and my partner william ejoy it very much,be cumming again"

An interesting use of Freudian spelling

Yes, I notice that - using the word "ejoy" when writing an electonic message about how much you enjoyed somewhere.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I didn't mean that word. I meant the other word.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mark Hunter, Sorry for delay in replying! No, I haven't been there, but HAVE been to Borovets, Bulgaria. If it's not tarring all Eastern European rsorts with the same brush, I found Borovets very much lacking in infrastructure (only one type of wine or fizzy drink available in resort at any one time; queueing for almost an hour to get a lunchtime pizza on the mountain; no ski buses, just pony and trap (although a did quite like that Very Happy ); equipment was not great to poor; pistes bare when there was tons off snow just to the side (piste maintenance poor all round). This WAS a few years ago though, but it was so undeveloped compared to where we usually ski (Italy, Austria, France) that we never went back. Very cheap to eat and drink however, andthe instruction was good according to those who took it, in my group. Hope this helps a bit although I may now get a call from the Bulgarian Tourist Board wink Zakopane may well be fab, so I'll leave it to someone who's actually been there! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fox, thanks - very thoughtful of you and totally in keeping with my priorities Laughing However this "couldn't execute query" phrase came up. So have they shot all the bar stewards, or dispensed with the web host?

Madaboutsnow, thanks again - I do have a bit of a "Borovets" concern.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 21-07-06 9:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was in zakopane many years ago, around 1992/3. It wasn't a planned skiing trip...I was on a business trip in Poland and the clients had a chalet in Zakopane. they hired some crappy skis and boots for me and I was wearing jeans and my leather jacket... not the best conditions to start with but it was free! there were huge queues at the bottom (single chair). there was the option of buying an express ticket but I was too embarrassed then and did not want to look like the rich foreigner. Even though the altitiude was not very high it was extremely cold and windy. I got stuck on the chair for about 20min when people started jumping off and I was considering the same! ahhh I should also mention that the client wanted to arrange some Russian hookers for the apres ski which I politely declined!

Apologies for the not very helpful and out of date report. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowman wrote:
... the client wanted to arrange some Russian hookers for the apres ski which I politely declined!

Perfectly sensible. Rugby isn't the first thing that springs to mind on a Polish ski holiday.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith wrote:
snowman wrote:
... the client wanted to arrange some Russian hookers for the apres ski which I politely declined!

Perfectly sensible. Rugby isn't the first thing that springs to mind on a Polish ski holiday.

I think that rather depends upon the circles in which one moves.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was there in the suumer of 94 and saw the same single chair.
Up until very recently the cable car was in two parts and you had to get out at mid-station and join yet another queue. I am not sure if this is still the case. There was also a scam going on of ?Bulgarian or Romanian gipsy-types queueing and then being paid to "let their family" (i.e. foreign punters) join them in the queue.
I am of Polish origin and would not yet choose to ski there.
Sorry, that was a bit negative, wasn't it?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My nephew went to Zakopane last year. One of his mates is a second generation Polish immigrant and acted as guide/interpreter. Alex said that the cultural experience (which seems mostly to have consisted of drinking unthinkable amounts of vodka) was very interesting but the ski-ing, in his considered opinion, was cr@p. He has skied mostly in France but not only in mega-resorts. He thought the little cheap places we went to, like Valmeinier, La Rosiere, Les Saisies, were all great. He had an epic crash when his skis encountered a huge rock just under the snow (on piste) and did a 60 metre skid down the rest of the piste (loosely so-called) and cut his face to shreds. This is a lad who skateboards everywhere and is not easily fazed or difficult to please. Cr@p, he insists. Especially having to find coins to pay separately for every lift rather than have a lift pass which works on them all (can that be true??). He went in early January and maybe snow cover was better later in the season.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi
I went last year - and I would only recommend it if you want to go off-piste or cross country - otherwise its a bit of a hassle.
There is 1 lift in Zakopane town at the bottom end of the main shopping street - and effectively only has 1 run off it - so only good if you need to keep practising a technique rather than cruising some different pistes.

The rest of the lifts need to be accessed individually by car and don't connect, and theres no cooperative ticket system as they each seem to run independently. The main one is called Kasprowy Wierch - and thats the one with the queues - although hotels can sort you a ticket for a particular hour slot. Its actually a black run - and not recommended for novices at all.

We had boots with us - and the ski hire was ok - probably what is given to beginners in the alps. There was no snowboard hire at all.

We stayed in a good hotel - and in comparison to what we're used to - I'd call it average. The food however is excellent and although the restaurants may look basic - we didn't have a single bad meal. Was really pleased/surprised how much my english friend enjoyed it. Be prepared for lots of sausage and potatoes!!!!

I'd say it makes a great place to base yourself for a holiday in the mountains - but its not a 'skiing' holiday - its just that it is possible to do skiing while you're there. (Also note - its main visitors are Polish tourists and its really popular - so it does get very busy)
ski holidays
mountain mad, top info! The OH suggested the place and I have been having serious misgivings! With some right apparently - thanks. Another one to scrub off for a few years me thinks.
ski holidays
Hi

I've been there in the summer. Ditto previous comments about horrendous queues for the Kasprowy Wierch cable car (think at least 90 minutes). I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to have to do that more than once. And the cable car itself was ancient and rickety, though this was in 1999, so that may well have changed.

The town itself though is one of my favourite places. Lots of bars, really interesting architecture and a wonderfully cheerful cemetary with carved headstones.

All in all I thought it was a lovely town, but I definately wouldn't choose it as a ski resort.
latest report
Mark - don't discount it as a great holiday place - just not a skiing holiday place.
I've been in both summer and winter and its a really refreshing destination - amazing land, very friendly people just have an awareness that while somethings have been rapidly brought to 'western' standards - there are still some very dodgy 'eastern' infrastructures (like big potholes on the main motorway from airport to Krakow!)

p.s. just about to buy a house out there for my mum... the area we're looking we've found a great house - 2600m2 garden, tennis court, summerhouse, 3 car garage, 260m2 house, 60m2 main reception room, sauna, 2 further receptions, 4 bedrooms, dressing room, kitchen, 2 bathrooms & 2 toilets

guess how much....
latest report
mountain mad, £30-£40k?

Not discounting the place - have heard from a reliable source that it is lovely. But it's from a skiing angle that it was suggested for consideration.
ski holidays
not bad £50k!!!! which I thought was a bargain

If you're an experienced off-pister it may be worthwhile, but not great for a day of linking groomed pistes!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy