Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

i need powder ski's but im ignorant ... help

Poster: A snowHead
okay ive been researching last few weeks, and im also lookign at whats discounted too in summer clearance.

These are my options

Line Prophet 100 06
Atomic Sugar Daddys 05/06
Blizzard titan 9 05/06
Volkl gottama 05/06
seth viscious k2
made n ak k2

price wise they are all about 400 pounds stirling! with bindings

my needs, well we are off to chile towards mid season end of august, and it looks likely that its going to be an amazing season. i am with 2 boarders and so we are going to want to ventur off the beaten track and we are getting guides for the offpiste.

initially im going to be learning offpiste techniques but i also want to buy something that will eventually allow me good str8 line speed.

i know my 6 choices vary from mid fat to fat fat!! but as i said im a little new at this and the blizzards and atomics got a really good review and maybe will offer a bit more all mountain. Alternatively the LINE skis really excite me and seem to be from a company on the cutting edge of freeride skiing.

help all views welcome

btw im 5ft 9.5 and 175lbs (75kilo)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oh yah im 27 so still flexible and healthy!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some good deals going on here:

http://www.sport-conrad.de/englisch/2A_04_Liste.asp?sub_Kat=04-FRSK

Esp if you don't mind going a season back and picking some Gotama's for €200 new...

I can personally vouch for their service as I have both visited their shop in Garmisch and ordered online from them. Havn't skied any of the above but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone who has offers their experiences....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
plectrum wrote:
initially im going to be learning offpiste techniques but i also want to buy something that will eventually allow me good str8 line speed.

I think you are looking for two seperate things in skis - off-piste you want fat. For straightline speed you want thinner.
If you are skiing powder, you don't want to straighline it - you miss too much fun!

Out of your list, I'd suggest the Seth Vicious or Volkl Gotama. For your weight, keep it under 180cm.

What do you currently ski on?

Oh, and finally, when you get out there, take a lesson or two on how to ski powder - it will help a lot!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for the responses so far

and the link to conrad's store

please keep em coming, in response im new to powder off piste and ski head carving 1100's
i would just like to buy some higher end fat ski's as all the reviews on the cheaper versions seem to be lacking in compliments!

and yes i will get some lessons!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
well i was going to go for the line's but hmm this 04/05 gottama deal is very very very tempting! So ...! ill let u know!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
plectrum, I may get shouted at, but the feature you most need on a powder ski is that it should be fat snowHead Whether it's 04/05 05/06 or 06/07 (!) is irrelevant....so go for the cheapies Laughing snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nothing like being thrown in the deep end, eh?!

If it's Portillo enjoy the Roca Jack slingshot platter lift Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ALECL THANKS

picked up those 04/05 models for 329euro with brand new marker 14 bindings!

always nice to get brand new models but that bargain was fantastic and allows me 200 euro extra now for some lessons!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
we are having a ball in chile 11 days skiing 3 resorts

4 days at 3 valleys(parva etc)
4 days at portillo
3 days at chilan

then some touring time around the vineyards.

if anyone is interested we fly heathrow on 25th aug come back 11th sept.
we are drving ourselves around resports and staying in lodges mostly apart from chilan where its luxury with the mud baths and thermal spa's!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 17-07-06 9:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski, I wouldn't shout at you for saying that!

...oh, and alecl, please don't post links like that, some of us have no need for more skis, but they look so good...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've tried the Blizzards and the Gotamas. They were both very nice. The Blizzards could become the ski you use every day - 92mm underfoot so not so fat that you can't carve (they're quite stiff too which helps) but wide enough for some float (esp since you don't weigh too much). Gotamas are great in soft snow but not so much fun on piste. They are v wide (obviously) but also quite soft so they don't grip hard snow so well. Gotamas have a huge twin tip so they ski about 5cm shorter than most other skis.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
...oh, and alecl, please don't post links like that, some of us have no need for more skis, but they look so good...

But some of us have the discipline not to buy them... Either that or insufficient funds - ticking off noted though Embarassed

Please let me know how you get on with the skis plectrum, chile sounds incredible, post us some pics upon return (please?). Conrad's are usually pretty swift with their service, I live in Germany anyway but even so pretty speedy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Which length + binding set up did you go for?

329... Desperately tempted to follow my own advice and get a pair now snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.soulx.com/h/n/SKIING/HOME/ALL/2 Some cheap line skis. Prophet 100 186 £289 inc binding and Prophet 90 £259 inc bindings these are ex demos. I think they've got some of the new models (2006/07) at discounted prices brand new as well. This may tempt you
ski holidays
Sad i was tempted enough...
ski holidays
I was tempted by the 90s then remembered I have a big enough challenge to go skiing this year given the new arrival due in 2 weeks' time without running the wrath of buying new skis.
snow conditions
sandown have the prophet 100 all lengths at 291 without bindings

this is what i was going for but 329 euros for full package with marker 14 bindigns kinda seemd just too cheap to ignore

i know its 04/05 model but it still seems a good good ski and as i dont want them for piste at all as i have fast carving ski's it seems this is suitable.
snow conditions
I'd add a B3 to that list as its a allrounder ...

And another thing; guides don't generally like mixed groups as boarders lose height on traverses and such, so check they will take you when you book. And if they do accept the mixed group expect the routes to be compromised for this reason unless the boarders have snow shoes etc.. But if you are tootling around it may not be such an issue..
latest report
good point jt about boarders, guess we'll have to play it by ear!

right i bought the gottama 04/04 + marker m14 freeride binding.

To all else

Seth viscious and made in ak + bindings are from ellis bingham (about 350-375)
Line prophet 100 was from sandown outdoor sports (291 pounds ski only)
and the blizzard and sugar daddy were from www.ski-bilek.de (around 500 euro)
ski holidays
Shame about the lengths on those Gotamas otherwise I'd be spending cash on skis I don't really need- I don't suppose you scored a pair of 186s did you? You definitely got a great deal.
latest report
no i got 176, im not good enough for 186 and im only 175 cm tall and 75kilo quite happy for a little shorter

there is that deal at soulx for 186 line prophet 100

Quote:

dan100
user
Posts: 253 http://www.soulx.com/h/n/SKIING/HOME/ALL/2 Some cheap line skis. Prophet 100 186 £289 inc binding and Prophet 90 £259 inc bindings these are ex demos. I think they've got some of the new models (2006/07) at discounted prices brand new as well. This may tempt you
snow conditions
they're also having a Dutch auction sothe price on those skis now if still there is £266
ski holidays
I got some seths for £275 off ebay, drilled once but new. May get em redrilled so I can have more tail, sitting at around +3 at the minute, which is really +1 off mid-sole plus I'm pretty light. Ski-bilek on ebay may turn up some good prices too. Next years 1080 gun looks to be the same dimensions as this years gun lab though I douubt it has the same racing base. Was in Whistler last week and saw a pair of Volkl sumos which dwarfed the Gotamas next to em Shocked . Also saw some atomic thug which look like a big burly ski with a 40m radius, similar to a large oil tanker. Laughing
latest report
Edmundh009, you made the same comment about K2 skis being 2cm out on Epic, and I asked you to explain why there, could you maybe explain it here, cause it's not something I've ever heard about from K2, or read anywhere else, and I'm just wondering where you got it from. Puzzled
snow report
Its on the k2factoryteam.com website and is commented on by seth morrison Shocked , apparently the mounting graph on the side of the ski which states midsole core centre etc is actually worng ie: core centre is a further 2cm forward of where it is marked. So when mounting the ski at say +5 it is really at +3 if you were to measure it with a tape.
latest report
Edmundh009, is that on ALL K2 twins or just certain ones?
latest report
Public enemy and Seth vicious, not sure about fujative, I don't know whether they have fixed this on next years skis though I know it applies to 05/06 skis, k2factoryteam.com should have the answers you're looking for.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Edmundh009, I have just read a thread on there where a guy is claiming that every single K2 twin tip has the wrong midsole mark - his claim being that on all K2 skis the midsole should be 7.5cm behind the core centre, but he claims K2 have shown the mark at 9.5.

He's talking a load of CRAP.

http://www.k2skis.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=1844

In fact in the last post on the thread he says:
"lay them on the gound facing opposite directions and line up the colored ABS sidewalls. the bindings should be even."
...as a method of proving the bindings are in the same place on both skis. Well, that would be true only if the bindings are mounted over the middle of the ski.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 24-07-06 20:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
(but it does show how one person says something, and then everyone else just believes them, and repeats it as being the truth - his post was in 2005, but there is another thread from this month, where someone is just repeating what he said)
ski holidays
Proof he's talking crap:
http://www.untracked.com/highlight-176444.html
http://www.untracked.com/highlight-176870.html

Quote:
K2 offers a variety of mounting points on the skis in their factory collection. They range from a factory suggested mid-sole mark to core center. The distance between the two is 7cm

and here...

http://www.hitemposkishop.com/twintips.html
Quote:
K2’s research and devolpment team has devised a scale that can help skiers determine their own mounting point based on their skiing style. This scale can be adapted to many twin tips on the market today. Here is how their scale breaks down…

0-2cm forward: All Mountain: If you plan on skiing mostly outside the park and want the ski to behave like a traditional ski, you should stay on the conservative side and mount traditionally.

3cm- 5cm forward: 50% All Mountain, 50% Terrain Park. When mounting beyond 3cm, you will lose a little of the traditional feel of length in front of the binding, but with more tail, you gain the control in the air and riding switch.

6cm- 7.5cm forward: If you bought the skis primarily for the terrain park or are focused on riding switch in powder or in backcountry, you may consider mounting your skis this far forward. While you may sacrifice forward directional float and stability, it’s made up for in the switch riding and landing stability and balance in the air.
latest report
K2 offers a variety of mounting points on the skis in their factory collection. They range from a factory suggested mid-sole mark to core center. The distance between the two is 7cm.
Sorry I'm lost. On the side of the seth there is a scale (sidewall) which goes from mid-sole +1,2,3,4,5,... to core centre. when in the binding the middle of your boot lines up with one of the corresponding lines. It is an offiicial k2 site and the postings by the guy called SID are by Seth Morrison himself and those by PEP are by PEP fujas (fujative). These marks correspond to where you have the binding drilled in relation to the ski.
snow report
it is the scale itself which is 2cm off, it is printed in the wrong place, it should be 2cm forward.
snow report
I'm taking everything that guy posts with a BIG grain of salt. For example: how are tip & tail length remotely relevant to middle of running surface?
latest report
seems a bit of an odd thing for someone just too make up when anyone could go and measure their skis to see if it was made up. Everyone on that forum acknowledges the guy as SETH MORRISON who is one of the best freeride pro skiers out there and he has been around for a while. Also I'm guessing k2 do some kind of moderating on the board itself so how could he pose as seth morrison and there's the fact that he can answer all the questions relating to his current and past skiing .
ski holidays
In relation to powder skis I like the look of the scott p4 which will perform in the aprk as well I think its similar to a head mojo 105.
ski holidays
We're going down the EpicSki line here aren't we?

If you don't ski as well as Seth Morrison, are you really going to notice a few cms fore or aft? I played on several rss equipped skis in the 90s and while they felt different as you moved the binding fore and aft, they made little real difference in performance.

Clearly, if you do ski as well as Seth M. you aren't likely to be asking "our" advice are you?

I am not decrying having bindings mounted optimally, but I think you can easily make an bhig molehill out of a small molehill here.
snow conditions
David Murdoch, ESS?

I'm not aware that any of those had a 9cm adjustment range, maybe 5cm at best.

E9, I don't think CF is SM. Not by a long shot.
snow report
Edmundh009, the link I provided above to the K2 site was the main one that came up when I did the search. Neither Seth nor Pepe had written it - it is some guy who calls himself "crazyf*ck". If you can give me a link to one where Seth says they are wrong, then I might take it as being factual.

I know it's the official K2 site - it was also the first forum I ever posted on, and where I first bumped into "Annoying Seppo", and back then (about 7+ years ago), there were guys on there making wild claims about product too, but most people saw through their posts as a load of TFWW.
snow report
...now, I have found where Seth says

"This winter while hanging out with McConkey, we were messuring some protos he had against some madians and found that the graph on the side is somewhat off of what the real center is, if you were truly going to center mount your skis. I am not trying to confuse any one with what I'm saying. From what we found by meassuring many different ways was that the graph is off by 2cm. I have been mounting my skis at +5 on the graph for a mid sole, when really it is only +3cm. So take it for what its worth. Stick with the graph for now"

Notice the two bits I put in bold:
1. He checked prototype skis.
2. He says you should stick with the graph.

(notice also, that unlike CF, Seth does not say it is every K2 ski ever produced!)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy