Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lauterbrunnen/Murren for beginners?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

Another Lauterbrunnen question I'm afraid!

I've decided to have a stab at snowboarding this year. Lauterbrunnen looks nice - does anyone have any experience of this resort as a beginner? I'm not put off by the transfer to Murren (or indeed Wengen) but might be annoyed at having to buy a full lift pass (no draglifts in the village unless I'm mistaken). I've always wanted to go to Murren but can't afford it frankly! I don't need much in the way of bars, but a minimarket would be nice.

I'm also going the week before Christmas. I know the snow record in the area isn't spectacular. How's the snowmaking? I couldn't find anything on the website, which doesn't bode so well.

Many thanks! Liam
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I learned to ski from Lauterbrunnen, on the Wengen side though ;P Cannot compare suitability as i haven't been to enough places.

Snowmaking is pretty much all around the most important slopes, so shouldn;t be all that bad!

Lauterbrunnen does have minimarket, but I usually fetch from the one in Wengen before going down.

I'm sure D G Orf or Chris Brookes will ring in to give their more experienced views on the snow situation at that time soon Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Liam there's an increasing amount of snowmaking in the area especially above Wengen, getting to Wengen from Lauterbrunnen is probably slightly faster than to Murren, however the week before Christmas is very much an unknown where snow is concerned it can be good or non existant, also pre Christmas there's a good chance that not all lifts will be open, you could learn in Wengen or Murren but I think Wengen has slightly better beginner slope setup but it's marginal and if there's no snow in Wengen there might be enough in Murren
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lrx28, good idea staying in Lauterbrunnen as you will save loads of money !!

The new cablecar from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp (taking under 3 minutes now)will be in operation starting from the 10th December,this will reduce the transfer time and get you on the slopes quicker starting on the chairlift at Winteregg. In Murren they have two nursery slopes one at 1650m (right in front of the Jungrau Hotel with a small drag)and the other at 1907m. I would suggest heading towards Murren and learning there as its at a higher attitude so it is more snow sure than Wengen. The other plus point is that (depending on the snow of course) you can ski back down to Lauterbrunnen at the end of the day (nice gentle run) as they now have snow cannons covering the route back down BUT it all depends on the conditions !!

The snow cannons in Murren are positioned to cover the village runs (Bob run & Palace run) aswell as the Muttlern,Bietenhorn,Kanonenrohr and the Lauterbrunnen runs . You well however see the helicopters coming down to pick the cannons up and placing them in other hot spots when required. They also have fixed units around the ski area.

I hope this helps you,any more questions just fire away wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
More pictures have been posted on the construction on the new cablecar showing the Lauterbrunnen and Grutschalp stations -

http://w3.jungfraubahn.ch/galleries/BLM_Juli06
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for your helpful advice as always!

On the costs side of things, just how horrendous is Murren? I know there's no road, which must push things up a bit! I've been considering the Gimmelwald Hostel as well.

Cheers Liam
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lrx28, Murren and Wengen are slightly more expensive for accomodation, but everything else is pretty much the same price throughout the region, surprisingly eating out can be good value for money compared to the uk, look for hotels that do a set menu and you can get good deals, a al carte however will cost more
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris, youmay well be ableto ski back from Murren to Lauterbrunnen....butlrx28 is looking at snowboarding. I wouldn't want to do that run on a snowboard Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lrx28, sorry i havent replied sooner but i've been in the UK on business mon-fri again this week (and next week,the joys ...lol)

There are some nice places to stay in Gimmelwald and are great value either the hotel Mittaghorn or a number of guesthouses or b&b's to choose from. Have a look at this site it shows the location of the b&b/hostels etc.(most of them you can ski to from Murren or via the Freeride piste from Gimmelen.

If you are looking at well priced accommodation in Murren try the following (you might be surprised !! )-

Eiger Guesthouse (situated right next to the Murren Bahn & has the cheapest booze,locals bar!)
Sportschalet (situated on the lower road and is 5 minutes walk from the Allmendhubelbahn)
Sonnerberg b&b (situated on the slopes in the Blumental area)

Visit there websites at

http://www.muerren.ch/start-e.htm

D G Orf, is right in Murren they have a very good selection of restaurants either in the hotels or on ther own (if you like chinese food you MUST try - Tham's)

Elizabeth B, i must admit i've passed alot of boarders on the way down to Lauterbrunnen but didnt wait to see how they managed to get down Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy