Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Never again

Poster: A snowHead
The canyons - never EVER want to see that place again (ooops i have friends that instruct there...oh well... they should change resorts)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Summer holidays - no snow
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
little tiger wrote:
The canyons - never EVER want to see that place again (ooops i have friends that instruct there...oh well... they should change resorts)

Who is your friend who instructs there?

When were they skiing in the World Cup?

Just wondering, if I see them, I'll say hello.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

masmith,
Yes glen coe looks like a real poor place to ski
http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/displaypic.php?id=2798,241#start
never been myself but will be going this winter or spring.

Definately. Do not go there. Its really awful. You'd hate it. Unfriendly, dull, poor scenery, too many Brits, begginers everywhere and simply nothing to challenge a good skier.

Try Meribel instead. Its great.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My first thought was that I'd go back to anywhere I've been so far but then i thought about it properly. I'm never going to go back to :-

Andorra - too small, too cheap, too long transfer
Livingno - too long transfer and I remember it being all strung out along the road and it felt like I was skiing down a run getting chair up then back down to road shiuffle along to next slope - very boring
Alp- D'Huez - snow was incredibly bad which obviously limited enjoyment but skiing didn't seem very interesting or very long.

That said if anybody said ......and your free holidya is to any of the above I would be prepared to back down
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Alp- D'Huez - snow was incredibly bad which obviously limited enjoyment but skiing didn't seem very interesting or very long.

With the exception of Europe's longest black run at 17km, I presume.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
is that called the Sarenne or something similar? I kept hoping to do it but it was closed the whole week.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep the Sarenne, a few of us did it in Jan this year. More of a red really, but rated a black as once you get on there is no getting off. Last couple km's a bit flat and I'd advise boarders to avoid unless you like a walk.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
when we skiied the Sarenne it seemed to be busy with lots of bods struggling to get down it, some of whom looked like they were near beginners!

great place to stop for lunch to the right of the twisty flat bit through the trees at the end......
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ashton parker wrote:

yep - Alpe d'Huez sucks. don't go there:

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ADH has 350 (reported) Kms of piste - strange that anyone would consider it short. Puzzled Just goes to show how subjective people's experiences are. I keep seeing posts saying "poor snow" or "bad weather" or not enough snow" etc. Those poor resorts - it might have been the only week in the season like that!
snow report
 brian
brian
easiski, I thought so too. Funnily enough the only really bad week I've had in the alps was in Verbier (apart from the last day which was bluebird powder but by God was it needed) but that's made me keen to go back to see what it should be like.

4Vs should be under an hour from the val d'A, so I'm hoping to get there for a day or 2 next season Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A friend of ours who has took up skiing in more advanced years (late 50's plus),went to ADH and loved it. He's said for years he should go skiing, and never got round to it until last season. Now he's joined the ski bore corner at the squash club bar!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ADH was my first skiing holiday. The weather was bad for several days with high winds and whiteouts (no fun for an absolute beginner) and a couple of times on the drag out from the sumptious Horizons d'Huez appartments I thought "why am I doing this, this aint fun". but - I persevered, the instructor was a laugh ("ven i raise my leg" - as he was lifting his arm) and after 15years I guess I'm hooked. At the end of the week I could "ski", deep joy! Would like to go back there at some stage.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tremblant -
Long way away.
Not as many pistes as they say there are.
Cold.
Has none of the advantages of a N American resort (being in Quebec, it seemed to have the "customer service" of a French resort - which I am well acquainted with but didn't expect in N America).
Ski in ski out which was - but only if you were prepared to ski across roads. Mad
Having siad that, we had the nicest apartment ever. Smile
latest report
You only have to look to the pic and see so many possiblilties... As with all these places sometimes you need someone to point the obvious and the not so obvious but just a glance at ADH's map should ring a few nice alarm bells, I'd have thought.

If/when I'm down that way again, I'll want another look, for sure. Think huge bowl...???
ski holidays
brian, Funny you should say that. I've only been to Verbier once and we didn't ski until the last day with a mixture of flu in the family and nil visibility for the whole week. It wouldn't stop me going back though - these conditions are always aberrant (one would hope!)

Nick L, Surely you must have expected Canada to be very cold? It's very well known in the ski world that all Canadian instructors have extra training in frostbite. Mont Tremblant is where most of the Canadian WC skiers come from, so their training progamme is clearly fantastic. Not that that necessarily means a good holiday though! Confused
snow report
JT wrote:
You only have to look to the pic and see so many possiblilties... As with all these places sometimes you need someone to point the obvious and the not so obvious but just a glance at ADH's map should ring a few nice alarm bells, I'd have thought.

If/when I'm down that way again, I'll want another look, for sure. Think huge bowl...???

Think huge south facing bowl.
snow report
Quote:

six months after booking somewhere else and six weeks before we were due to go, because of "insufficient demand" for our resort of choice.

There was NO snow in Auffach or the surrounding villages of Neiderau and Oberau, the nearest ski-able area was a three hour bus ride each way.

sounds grim Madaboutsnow, . A good advert for not booking in advance unless forced to do so. Was there any snow in your "resort of choice" at the time? Can TOs get away with that? If you are determined to go to a particular place, and specify in writing when you take the holiday that the location is "of the essence of the contract" would that stop them changing locations? Did you have the opportunity to cancel without penalties? I suppose that hope springs eternal, and you prayed for snow for six weeks?
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
JT wrote:

Think huge south facing bowl.

which is full of people who don't open their eyes wide enough to notice that you can ski runs of all orientations from the pic blanc and most of the good stuff off the Dome des Petits Rousses is north facing
ski holidays
pam w, The REALLY galling thing was YES our resort of choice (Waidring) was awash with the stuff! We chose Waidring as we had been before, with largely the same group, and re-booked the same lovely hotel. The TO offered a full refund but with a large-ish group it was impossible to find a reasonable alternative in the same price range with such short notice. Had I know then what I know now, about independent chalets and hotels, and had the 'no frills' type of flights been around, it would have been a lot easier. Oh and yes, the TO offered us £100 in vouchers between 14 of us, against future bookings, by way of compensation! It ended up MUCH higher! wink No compensation for such a rubbish week though Sad
snow report
Quote:

Had I know then what I know now, about independent chalets and hotels, and had the 'no frills' type of flights been around, it would have been a lot easier.

Yes, all those factors should mean people being less dependent on the TOs, and feeling less pressured to book in advance.
snow conditions
Madaboutsnow, You carefully haven't said who the TO was! Some clients of mine booked the following year here BEFORE they came the previous year (if you can follow that), and were regular clients of that particular TO (begins with C). They were told 6/8 months later (too late to book a family anywhere else in Feb) that they couldn't come here but could go to ADH instead! They protested and said they were coming specifically to have lessons with me to no avail. I was more furious than them I think! they had a good holiday, but the kids didn't improve at all, so the following year I was bitterly disappointed when they returned here Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Staggering what TOs can get away with!

Sorry - off topic rolling eyes
snow report
easiski, Less careful than unsure! I think it was one that later amalgamated with FC. Confused
Frankly after that debacle, and another with a TO whose Learn to Ski package was supposed to include a beginner lift pass, but turned out not to, in a resort whereyou couldn't reach the nursery slopes without a FULL area lift pass (an extra £90 pp), I wouldn't book a package if I could possibly avoid it (that was a long sentence!) Shocked
snow report
Alpe d’huez – our first experience of France. Filthy public toilets that you have to pay for, very ugly resort, litter in the streets, shabby hotel, expensive mountain food, even more expensive drinks, no hands-free lift pass - have to show photo pass at every lift (though the actual linking system is good) so sticking to Austria and Italy in future!
latest report
sharon1953, why limit yourself to Europe? snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For a beginner definitely don't go to Schladming. The nursery area was solid ice. After that the only blue run you could access meant going down a red first to pick up another lift up to the start of the blue. It didn't put me off but it was a terrible first ski holiday.

Val rolling eyes
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, It's more a case of the bank limiting us!!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sharon1953, You should not think all of France is like one place. There are small, quaint resorts here too. I personally don't like the ambiance of ADH, but following Arno's info am really hoping to ski some of their good off piste next year. You can't blame the resort of the country for a shabby hotel, surely???? Austria is cleaner though!! Shock

Val, It might have been icy everywhere that week, you can't assume it will always be icy because it was the time you went - poor Shladming.
snow report
even I, as a lover of ADH's skiing, would rather stay in Vaujany than ADH itself
latest report
sharon1953, hop over the Col du Lauteret to Serre Chevalier next time you come to France. Pretty mountain villages where real people live all year round, clean streets, and a hands-free lift pass. No contest really. Don't discard France without trying elsewhere. I could say the same about some other places we;ve been too, but it's not fair to generalise.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, I realise that, but others in the hotel that ski in France all the time thought it was fantastic, with no complaints about prices or standards, so that leaves one thinking this was pretty average!!!
ski holidays
sharon1953, We don't have hands free liftpasses either, but as you only have to show your pass at the bottom, then it isn't an issue at all. Certainly I've seen nice hotels around here and other French resorts, but you should really compare like for like. I can understand your reasoning, but the view of others is not reliable either. Go and stay in Helen Beaumont,'s apartment when the pool's finished and then see! Otherwise ask Snowheads who is good, or even stay again in ADH at Katski's chalet, or ......

I can't say about their mountain prices over there, here a cafe au lait is around 2.5 -3 euros with only one mountain restaurant a bit more, all of which is less than 50cents more than Grenoble. Seems fair to me. Very Happy
snow report
sharon1953, check out the website for the views!!! Prices are similar to what Easiski says. The pool is finsihed before the winter, and it's 200m to the slopes. Theres a new hotel going up at the foot of the slopes next season too, and the buildings at the bottom are being replaced. No litter in the village either.
ski holidays
thanks for advice, will give it some thought if we get a last minute TO deal, but we can fly to Salzburg from Manchester for £17.00, (was £9.00 when bookings first opened) so DIY is so simple to the resorts, and Austria will always hold a special place in our hearts as we have never had a bad holiday there, even when the snow hasn't been so great.
snow conditions
sharon1953, DIY is so simple to France too!!!!
snow report
Don't know why people hate glencoe so much. I have only been once and it was in march of this year after they had 4 feet of snow, I thought it ha its own unique charm if quite small compared with glenshee. I really don't like glenshee though, seems to have the worst snow cover in scotland and surely the worst and slowest uplift. Plus theres that road up to it.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Edmundh009,

Glenshee can be loaded when Glencoe is bare and vice versa. I've had fantastic days at both, you just have to select carefully on conditions and weather ...

latest report
Holland ! Confused
latest report
provenjohn, I loved Holland when I went there - but it was a long time ago. Shock
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy