Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski rental ski came off, seriously injured me? What grounds

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
The only time I had a ski "just fall off" it was because I'd not got rid of packed ice/snow from under my boot. Embarassed

That's the most common cause, yes. If you don't get that nice positive click when pushing into place remove and try again.

The only other ones I've had were binding-related, a couple of years apart but both on the same Fritschi touring bindings. First time was due to them having simply come out of adjustment, They'd been set to 8.5 (or something like that, I misremember exactly) but over time had managed to vibrate loose and were down to 6, too low for my 186cm and 85kg and my aggressive style at the time. Second time the fsking screw holding the toe piece down just came out - a wide plastic screw had just worn out, despite never being undone, the thread had effectively stripped off. I still have a dodgy shoulder as a result of the high-impact faceplant that ensued.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Many rental bindings now just have a little lever on top that you pull. Only ones I have seen with the latch on the back underside of heel piece that you need a screwdriver to wedge in to adjust are the ones with fixed toe pieces on that dont have much adjustment. All of the race plate bindings I have are done on a screw but the indicator is different still so you need to be careful. Marker ones I have the screw should be flush with back of the binding but look ones have a groove on screw you line up with binding. I use din 8, im 105kg and 6ft 2 but have feet cramed into 27.5's now. As an intermediate I used din 7 in 28.5 boots. I think from playing about with calculator before I notice that longer sole length requires lower settings are sometimes recommended. Never had a problem fortunately, have always worked exactly as they should.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
The only time I had a ski "just fall off" it was because I'd not got rid of packed ice/snow from under my boot. Embarassed

I’ve had unintended release often enough in rental skis. So I can see the pattern.

I have small feet for my height. So it’s pretty critical to DIN setting. Too low, I walk out of my bindings. Unfortunately, as I passed that magic age (ends with a 0), the DIN setting according to the chart had just gone down another notch. Skis no longer stay on my feet any more if I go by that number.

On my own skis, I set it higher than the chart indicated. But when I rent, I don’t always remember to specify a higher setting. So I quite often walk out of my bind as soon as I unload from my first chair ride up! Fortunately, thanks to snowboards that often need repair/adjustment, I can usually easily find a screw driver to turn up the DIN setting a notch.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have to confess I forgot about forward pressure. Although, I think it was just not fitted with the slider, as the guy was very rushed, and did it all quickly (like 1 min) and the first time it didn't work and he was like "ahh". I just checked the forward pressure of my resort skis and they were a bit off but I have not had any problems with them coming off. I'm not sure how likely the forward pressure being off would mean they'd just fall off? As presumably it was set for the last skier.

I did check the DIN reading after the shop, but not forward pressure. I know it's human nature to think there was something done wrong as we don't want to walk around thinking random bad things could happen. But I do think it is reasonable to expect the shop not to set a death trap that you need to check. As I see a lot of other appeal to authority posts on other forums, saying just 'get the shop to do X/get the professional...'.

But I'm not saying it was completely random and I should have been more cautious in hindsight and all the sensible advice people commented on what I should have done pre and post is very helpful. And now I have learnt a lesson in being cautious with rental shops as you are effectively trusting the bindings with your life and most of the clients they serve are not skiing aggressively. I also think with any new skis to be cautious before driving them. I'm still surprised people are more scared about them not coming off. In my mind I've always felt its so dangerous that the shops set the DIN low for intermediate-advanced skiers, just the other day I saw both skis pop off a guy who was going fast over skied out powder trying to build up speed for a jump. It caused him to do 5 rolly pollys and seemed super dangerous. It was a lot of pressure for the ski so was nothing like mine.

For a bit of background, I did research my skis when I bought my resort pair and touring pair about 9 years ago. I skied a fair amount (1-2 seasons) and did a lot of ski tour routes in chamonix etc. But I haven't skied much in the last 7 years. Probably 1 week a year max. I do drop off ledges etc. and like to do most off-piste in the resort. DIN 10 has served me well. I'm lucky in that I'm not prone to leg injuries as I have never had injuries growing up where I skied most holidays and fell a lot. I've also had a few bad falls with DIN 10 and never have wanted them to come off but once when my skis were going in opposite directions after falling on that weird powder that catches and they did eject before injuring myself.

I think I will look for some second-hand skis as I want to get into skiing again and I like having my own equipment. I want to have a carving pair for no snow, with maybe a smaller base angle (as quite often it's just ice where I ski and ive never been able to carve ice), a powder pair, and a longer mixed resort ski as my current resort skis are way too small.

snowdave wrote:
toes when going uphill (as the bindings are designed to be used, and as everyone does) or you lock your toes for downhill? Embarassed

I meant locking it for downhill. I'm not sure what it does as the back will still release. I did not know it could rip the binding out. This is more for moderate-steep stuff or if a bit exposed. I'm not vivian bruchez, and I'm not sure I would die on these tours but losing a ski would be bad. More these little couloirs that you can rappel or ski. I can't remember the rating in the guidebooks, but nothing near extreme. I guess I just really fear skis coming off, and as the dynafit only goes up to DIN 10 I only set at 8 I heard you aren't supposed to set near the max.

pam w wrote:

In this case, I'm pretty sure it wasn't that as the first time it popped off I hadn't unclicked from before the first run. It did start falling off after a big powder run though, but this was only the 3rd run or so.

Hells_Bells wrote:
Are you not covered by your travel insurance for some of the costs of those injuries? Embarassed

I don't have any insurance, unfortunately. I sometimes spend time in France for a month or 2 at my parent's place and don't plan when I will ski. I just don't get much insurance in general, not sure if it's a good idea or not, just my parents also never got much insurance so ive followed this. If I knew I had a planned 1 week trip to somewhere new I might look into it or if i had a family.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You should insure against risks you can't afford to run. You can get your teeth done. But if you'd needed a helicopter lift to hospital (and you might have been unconscious and had no part in that decision) it could ruin you. In Italy you are legally bound to carry third party insurance and you should do so everywhere, in case you are responsible for injuring somebody else.

Your ski seems to have fallen off several times before the crash that smashed your face. I think I'd have been back to that shop after the first time.

Easy to be wise after the event, but really you probably got away lightly. This time.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Let me get this right, you ski with a din higher than recommended, lock out the toe bindings and don't have insurance. Let me guess, you ski off piste alone and without beep/shovel/probe too?

Seems you got away lucky with just a face plant.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1. This probably is on the rental shop and not you but it doesn't look like you have any recourse.

2. DIN 10 is reasonable for a strong skier and is obviously not the problem here.

3. Locking your pin binding toes risks life changing injuries if you Be Nice please! up.

4. Buy insurance.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skitour wrote:

snowdave wrote:
toes when going uphill (as the bindings are designed to be used, and as everyone does) or you lock your toes for downhill? Embarassed

I meant locking it for downhill. I'm not sure what it does as the back will still release. I did not know it could rip the binding out. This is more for moderate-steep stuff or if a bit exposed. I'm not vivian bruchez, and I'm not sure I would die on these tours but losing a ski would be bad. More these little couloirs that you can rappel or ski. I can't remember the rating in the guidebooks, but nothing near extreme. I guess I just really fear skis coming off, and as the dynafit only goes up to DIN 10 I only set at 8 I heard you aren't supposed to set near the max.

You’ve been touring for years, locking your toes out, and nobody has ever commented about this to you? I guess you mainly ski alone?!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skitour wrote:
But the run after, left ski just fell off on the piste. Unfortunately it was hard underneath and I was going relatively fast. I've never had this happen as there was no warning or anything. My resort skis can take a beating and they've only ever come off when I really need them to come off. Even my ski touring skis (din Cool never come off but i don't do jumps/drops on them. I'm 80kg, 185cm.

It caused me to fall hard on my face, I completely busted my lip (swollen/bruised), my front tooth ripped off (it had been bonded from a childhood injury, but was hit with huge force), other teeth hurt. Blood spattered under my glasses. My expensive glasses also broke (under my goggles), stupidly I did not have my sports cheaper glasses on this trip.

I feel like I've been mugged as it was hell of a punch. I've had falls but usually you know you are going to fall and at least its somewhat your fault.

This sounds a bit like something that happened to me a few years ago. I was skiing quite quickly down towards a lift. The light was poor and I hit a very small rut but one ski came off when I would have expected it to stay on. Like you I had no time to anticipate and I crashed heavily on my chest. The combination of my wallet and my transceiver in my jacket gave me badly bruised ribs but fortunately my injuries were not as bad as yours. It was the sort of crash I had never experienced before either in forty years of skiing.

The boots and skis were my own. Reflecting the next day I think it was probably my fault. After an off piste run we had just taken our skis off to cross a road with a bit of a scramble up the far side. My boots were hybrid and on several occasions I had found it awkward to locate my boots in the bindings because of snow accumulating beneath the boot. On this occasion our guide helped locate the boot in the binding. I thought I had knocked all the snow off the boot and it clicked in, but I suspect that there may have been a small amount of snow under the boot which caused the release.

That I feel is a problem you may have with the ski shop. They may say the bindings were fine in the shop therefore you probably had not locked into them securely, which is something you cannot prove either way.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My word, there is some pish talked on this thread. Fiver says @skitour is a wind-up /troll…

abc wrote:
Skis no longer stay on my feet any more if I go by that number.

Skis don’t suddenly just fall off and you can’t “walk out of them” getting off a chair lift if they’re set on the light side. Assuming everything else is set up correctly, they’d need to be miles out for that to happen! How much are you exceeding the DIN chart number by to have that much of an impact???
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dashed, my first any subsequent thoughts also, it’s a wind up or troll.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
“I don’t get insurance” Shocked

3rd party liability????!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy