Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cable car accident at Nevis Range

Poster: A snowHead
An apparent collision between two cable cars this afternoon at the Nevis Range in Scotland has resulted in a number of injuries. Around 7 people were thrown onto the hillside. So far 3 are confirmed injured...
BBC reports on a cable car accident in the Nevis Range.
Nevis Range
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gulp....am heading up to Fort Bill tomorrow and was planning a ride up Nevis. Hope everyone is okay.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hope everyone is ok
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just heard this on the news - hope no-one is too badly hurt
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Five injured, 70-ish trapped in remaining bubbles for a bit. According to the BBC, one car slid down the cable and hit another then fell off. I assume this means lots of the alpine cable cars will be taken off for inspection etc, as I'd imagine there are many others of the same type around the place.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not the first time this sort of accident has occured
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Worryingly, it's a Doppelmayr gondola.

http://www.nevisrange.co.uk/winter/gondola/gondola.asp
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight, very worrying. Do I now need an irrational anxiety about bubbles as well as 737s?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David,

Quote:

Do I now need an irrational anxiety about bubbles as well as 737s?

Its chairlifts you need to worry about. 70 people were trapped on the Nevis range Gondola for 4 hours.

Imagine being trapped for 4 hours on an exposed chairlift in worsening weather in January Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The last occasion (so I'm told) where one chair or gondola slid along the cable was the infamous old Quicksilver chair at Whistler in 1995.

It was a yan detachable chair.

There are no yan detachable chairs at Whistler today!

http://www.coloradoskihistory.com/chairlift/yan2.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift_Engineering
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's quite a bit of discussion about the Nevis Range incident - and some dramatic photos - on the Winterhighland forum:

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,62704,page=2
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pictures of the gondola accident cortesy of sky here
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very sad - I hope everyone involved is okay and Nevis isn't too adversely affected. Hopefully just a freak accident but whatever it was it'll probably be far safer after this than before so hopefully people will realise this.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apparently it was human error.

Quote:
Doppelmayr, which makes the Nevis Range gondola system, said an alarm sounded before one of the cars crashed into another - but no action was taken.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/5189324.stm

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 20-07-06 20:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Were they running a tape recorder? How do they know this?

If an alarm sounded, was it a substitute for the system automatically braking to a halt? In short, how is the system designed to be fail-safe to prevent a faulty gondola clamp sliding down the cable?

What was the specified maintenance/replacement programme for the clamps (if a faulty one caused the accident), and was it followed?

Best to wait for the outcome of the official enquiry.
snow conditions
When I said "apparently" it was the ironic toungue-in-cheek "apparently".

As opposed to a definitive "apparently"

Shocked
latest report
Initial indications are that the gondola system stopped automatically when the grip did not attach to the cable correctly as it left the station. A brittle bar was broken on a safety system, stopping the gondola.

Unfortunately, the bar was replaced and the gondola was not visually checked. Upon start up, the gondola slide down the cable and into the next cabin, then fell to the ground.

Human error, not mechanical malfunction, appears to be the problem.

And yes, many gondolas have recording devices for logging the stops and faults.
ski holidays
Where are those indications from?
Not disputing it ... just wondering the source?
snow report
Nevis Range have this on their website:
Quote:
Nevis Range re-opening Tuesday, 25 July 2006!!

Nevis Range will be re-opening for the public on Tuesday, 25 July 2006 at 10am. The Gondola will be complimentary all day.

Ever been complimented by a gondola? Here's an opportunity.

Source: Nevis Range
latest report
roga wrote:
Very sad - I hope everyone involved is okay and Nevis isn't too adversely affected. Hopefully just a freak accident but whatever it was it'll probably be far safer after this than before so hopefully people will realise this.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 2-07-08 14:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Freecly
Freecly
rob and sharon wrote:
hope everyone is ok

Yea.
snow report
this was bumped from 2 years ago for why Puzzled
snow conditions
II I suspect the bumper has a personal interest - probably came up on google.
snow report
 Gen007
Gen007
Hope everyone is oakey.
latest report
katepmcneill wrote:
roga wrote:

QUOTE: I hope everyone involved is okay and Nevis isn't too adversely affected!!!! Yes it was very sad but God forbid Nevis Range would suffer like the people involved have, the mother of the young girl will never walk properly again and is still to this day receiving treatment for one of her broken legs, it was a freak accident, one which should never of happened if people had of been doing their jobs properly!

Irrespective of what people did on the day the fact a functioning grip was able to pass through a functioning attachment mech and stay open raises issues, and there are many many thousands of these grips in use. Unless you have all the facts perhaps you should reconsider what you have posted above.
snow conditions
Was there and accident inquiry? It would be interesting to know what the cause was.
snow report
"The Austrian manufacturer of the gondola system said the incident was caused by operator error.

Doppelmayr said an alarm sounded before one of the cars crashed into another - but no action was taken."

"The operators of the Nevis Range mountain gondola system are due to stand trial over an accident which injured five people two years ago.

Not guilty pleas were entered to charges that the firm and one of its employees contravened health and safety legislation.

The prosecution follows the crash in July 2006 when one of the cable cars broke free and plunged to the ground.

At Fort William Sheriff Court a trial date was set for 20 October 2008.

The accident happened at the Nevis Range ski centre in July 2006, when the gondola became detached from its cable and plunged 25ft to the ground.

A three-year-old girl, who broke her leg, and a Dutch tourist, who suffered chest injuries, were among those hurt."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7451863.stm
latest report
II, thanks. In general, I would like to think that Doppelmayr should have made their systems fail-safe and whatever safety action is possible should happen automatically, if the risk of failure is foreseeable at a significant rate. Of course operators have responsibilities, too. I suppose we shall understand better when the court case takes place. Real bummer for those injured - my sympathy to them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, I think it's difficult to know how thay can make them failsafe. I would imagine that in some circumstances that automatically applying an emergency brake could excasperate things. I know that in the case of the Fallboden chair in Wengen it was at one stage alleged that the accident was due to a freak gust of wind at exactly the same time as the brake was applied. I have no idea if this was true, but for it to have been mentioned, then it must be a possible scenario to happen.
ski holidays
[quote="Winterhighland"]
katepmcneill wrote:
roga wrote:

Irrespective of what people did on the day the fact a functioning grip was able to pass through a functioning attachment mech and stay open raises issues, and there are many many thousands of these grips in use. Unless you have all the facts perhaps you should reconsider what you have posted above.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 2-07-08 14:21; edited 2 times in total
latest report
As an engineer I'd say that it is probably impossible to make a cable car completely fail safe, however if as has been reported there was an alarm which a member of staff ignored I have to wonder why that alarm did not automatically apply the brakes, it seems to me that if there is a system in place to identify the fact that a car is not properly secured to the cable before it leaves the station then it should not be possible to ignore the fact.

However I don't know just how the system is set up or indeed if teh reports of an alarm being ignored are accurate
snow report
D G Orf, that's pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking.
latest report
katepmcneill, you obviously feel strongly about this, but until the H&SE report is published, and the trial is concluded, then we don't know what happened. To make accusations doesn't help the situation.
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
katepmcneill, you obviously feel strongly about this, but until the H&SE report is published, and the trial is concluded, then we don't know what happened. To make accusations doesn't help the situation.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 2-07-08 14:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
katepmcneill, You are indeed. And I am very sorry for what your family has been through.

But if you publish your opinions to a website you should be willing to defend them in court and should also understand why the publisher of this website may wish not wish to share that risk- or facilitate you expressing them. Do you think a newspaper would publish your comments without commentary and a chance for the other parties to rebut your views?

[edit 7/7/08 katepmcneill appears to have edited her posts to remove all comments about her opinion. A sensible thing to do. I wish her luck.]

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 7-07-08 20:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
At present there are not enough facts in the public domain about the sequence of events to make an informed comment. I have worked on lifts with similar systems and age, there are different levels of grip force "alarms". Grip force is monitored and if it is on the margins of acceptable force the alarm will sound and a warning be logged - the lift would continue to function and the operators would be expected to let it continue to run - lift mechanics check the log each day in the daily pre-opening checks. If however the force is dangerously out of the intended range, the lift would shutdown then apply the emergency brake and the lift operators alone could not restart the system - only lift mechanics could restart or if deemed necessary for evacuation over-ride the system.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy