Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Uk based tour operators

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
katski, I would not consider you a TO. You run one chalet (unless I've misunderstood), which you run yourslef/ves. That's a completely different kettle of fish. I should say the same about any small operation - of course you have personal contact with your clients. I expect you can remember most of them from last year. Mrs Jones phones you to rebook, I'm sure you know who she is..... "I think if you don't have a vested interest in the company you can't feel the same way about it and I wouldn't expect people to do so. " That's the point If I have people working for me (why I don't nowadays) I DO expect them to take the same pride in their work and care for the customers - but mostly they don't. Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been with First Choice, Inghams, Mark Warner, Erna Low, Headwater & Neilson.

I'd probably rate Inghams as the one I'd most likely use again. (These day I prefer to DIY).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lets hear it again for SKI INDEPENDENCE.

I've just booked next years big trip with them for the third year in a row and I've no complaints. They are friendly and efficient, and they don't push unwanted additional services on you.

Airport transfers have been comfortable, and last year's return from Whistler to Vancouver airport was a private limo (we were expecting a minibus).

Previously I've used (in order of satisfaction) First Choice, Thompson, Crystal (OK-ish) and Inghams (never, ever again!!), and I've DIY-ed trips in the US where I've planned an add-on to a business trip.

Ski-I have taken the pain out of booking, have provided good discounts on lift tix and spectacular offers on lessons (Free 3-day Ski Esprit programmes at Whistler). And they sponsor Finlay Mickel.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Acacia, we used Inghams for our trip to Banff. Our boys had a very small double bed to share despite the booking being for a twin, and we were offered extra bedding if we bought an airbed for them!!!! They also tried to sell us adult passes for them despite the youth passes being available.The rep promptly forgot about us after we complained, and we did enjoy the rest of the holiday. Hence our preference for DIY to Whistler. They refused compensation for the mix-up with the room, blaming it on the travel agent. Neilsons were rude enough to hold the resort welcome meeting before we even arrived in the resort, in a hotel over a mile away, and didn't even bother to contact us with our departure details. First Choice and Crystal were better though. The best was Skiworld in Les Arcs. The food was great, and the reps friendly and helpful. I'll remember SKi-I if I go over to Canada again though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it just me or is a trend appearing:

1. the individuals involved make or break the experience - no, this is not self evident - just evidence that it is either too hard, or not well rewarded enough for the large TOs to make holidays both high enough in quality and homogeneous enough to keep everyone happy..

2. You pays yer money, you make your choice, sometimes you get lucky.

3. Larger TOs have a harder time making it probable that they'll have happy guests at the end of the week. (Ergo go with a well recommended independent.

4. Guests have higher expectations sometines than is reasonable. When you pay £200 for flights, accomodation, food, repping, transfers, and drink, you are clearly compromising somewhere. Providing a ski holiday, is IMHO, a tad harder than organising a week on an beach in Magaluf. If it's (equivalently) cheaper to go skiing than to stay at home, you're better staying at home!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

That's the point If I have people working for me (why I don't nowadays) I DO expect them to take the same pride in their work and care for the customers - but mostly they don't.

That's where it does get really tough. Finding people who are prepared to give 110% to someone elses company are a rare breed! I think as an employer though you do have to take a certain ammount of responsibility for the way that you staff feel towards you and your company - motivating them to get the most out of them is something that we certainly feel is our job and if we are not getting what we want out of our staff then to a certain extent we only have ourselves to blame - either for employing the wrong people for the job or for not giving them the support they need.

Although small we do class ourselves as TO (albeit a teeny weeny one) - we are fully bonded and provide package holidays which I think just about qualifies us. easiski, no offence was taken at your comments by the way - was just trying to make the point that within the industry there is a range of services available and it is not a black and white / TO vs independent travel choice. There are many (not only us by any means) companies who can provide a middle ground and they quite often tend to be forgotten or lumped together with larger TO companies in this sort of debate - which can be rather frustrating.

David Snell - thanks for your comments Smile Get the impression that you have probably spent much of your 30 years in the travel industry arguing the cause as well!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
katski, You are absolutely right! Even though we take around 50 to 60 thousands ski-ing each year, our goal is absolutely the same as yours - happy guests prepared to repeat with us in the future. Of course we don't get it right every time, but if you don't strive to provide excellent service all the time every time, you'll be found out and the business is sure to fail.

Yes, you are are most definitely a TO, and I agree that motivation of one's staff is very important right down to the rep. on your transfer bus. These are some of the front-line staff that make initial contact with the guests and can make the difference when things go wrong on change-over day for example ie. bad weather, avalanche and landslides (like in March Sad ).

Again I wish you well in your enterprise!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, but most non-skiers won't even attempt to organise their own holiday, as I suppose they wouldn't know where to start. I know, because I've been trying to persuade ome friends to go out to our place next Winter, but they are very hesitant, as they want everything organised for them. I've pointed them in the general direction of Snowheads too, but to no avail.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmmm, I'm always mystified by the amount of stick the big TOs get here. I travel independently when with the boys, and with a TO when with family. I have always found TOs to be cheaper when travelling at Christmas, New Year, Half Term and Easter for what I need, ie flights, transfers and half board or chalet board. I have challenged other Snowheads to prove that DIY is cheaper and to date no-one has.

I fully accept that if I wanted an apartment outwith school holidays and was willing to take a train/bus/hitch I could save a few pounds (our boys trips are always DIY) but the TO's most definitely have their place. For a first ski holiday I would never suggest DIY to anyone with children (probably not to anyone).

THat said I have had some crap experiences over the years mainly with Crystal (rabbit hutch room at L'Hermitage, ADH anyone?) and a major beef over travel with Neilsons (in the eighties) but have used Neilsons and Esprit recently and have had an excellent holiday. Last New Year a week chalet board in Kaprun with flights from Edinburgh and transfers was about £2500 all in. I couldn't find flights for less than £1200 and I would not get 2 rooms half board in Kaprun or Zell am See at New year for £1300, not to mention the transfers. And that was Crystal whom I would hesitiate to reccomend, but miracles do happen Smile (To be fair to Crystal, that holiday wnt like clockwork, and I would struggle to complain about anything other than the quality of the wine)

But keep the suggestions for smaller operators coming, I seek inspiration for our vey late Easter. (First week in Jan in Val s'Isere with Skiworld, another company I have had good experiences with).

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 7-06-10 13:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ghost Dog wrote:
keep the suggestions for smaller operators coming.

Unless it's your first post, and the company you are 'recommending' is also linked to in your signature.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy