Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much does your trip cost you?

Poster: A snowHead
On average how much does a single trip cost you per year and what do you get for it?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not much and a lot.

Sorry, let me expand:
All in - flights/parking/accomodation/passes/lessons/food/drink £800-1000 for a 1 week trip, or <£1500 for two weeks.

For that I get a ski trip, a chance to explore new places, try new food and drink, make new friends, and not do the same old thing year in year out.

I expect this season coming to do a few day trips which should work out free apart from the lift passes and lunch (company pays for car/petrol and accomodation)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 13-07-06 10:23; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Holiday with the family - costs in peak time about £500-600 pp excluding passes, lessons , gear hire. We prefer chalet board and budget on £10 pp per day on food and drink.

The EoSB (cheap period) cost me £220 excluding passes, lessons , gear hire. However I spent £70 a day on food and drink Shocked Shocked Shocked Embarassed
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We always go at the end of Jan as it's a cheap time and we do our own thing. Cost about £2200 for the 4 of us all included, (it would be a lot cheaper if we didn't have to pay £360 just to get off the Island).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For weekends, flights usually between £60 and £100pp and often on ba or other airline that doesnt charge for ski carriage.

Car hire about £90 between 2 or 4 depending on who's going. Hotels vary a lot but Italy seems to be very good value, maybe £40 a night pp including dinner. Lunch couple of quid for picnic or 15 for a hot lunch on the mountain in the 3Vs!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I work on £100 per person per day once I've paid for everything (lift passes, beer, food etc). can be cheaper if last minute or a lot more if we go for a bit of luxury
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
the EoSB (cheap period) cost me £220 excluding passes, lessons , gear hire. However I spent £70 a day on food and drink Shocked Shocked Shocked Embarassed

Shocked Shocked they must have been very expensive breakfasts I expect wink Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Always about £3000 in my case. This is an all-in cost. Between 2 to 2.5 weeks self-drive trip and is for a couple. In recent years we do between 2 to 3 resorts or countries in each trip.

The cost is roughly one-third for accommodation, one-third for ski passes and one-third for the rest like food, fuel, crossing etc. No hiring charge as there is plenty room in the car for the skiing equipment.

Car depreciation excluded.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 13-07-06 13:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK based on this, what would you recommend:

We have the option of booking a 10 man chalet - full board for £430pp with hot tub and all rooms ensuite, in morzine. Flights are currently ~£63 and transfers will be ~£35 and passes on top.

Would you go for it or hold out or organise something else yourself.

That said, does anyone know any 6 - 10 man chalets?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
£430pp for how long?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sounds like per day to me as it works out £43 per night per person or £86 per couple per night. Would this not the sort of rate one has to pay for in-resort accommodation? I have been staying accommodtations off resort and equipped with wheels to cut down the accommodation cost by about a half.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Around £5000 for 2 weeks all in for eurotunnel, 2 rooms in a hotel down and up, tolls, petrol, (decent, ski convenient, 3 bedrm) self-catering apartment, parking, half meals in, half meals out, daily lunch on the mountain, equipment hire as necessary, lessons, area passes, for 3 adults and 3 kids.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nick-o, What week is your deal for?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nick-o, depends on what week you want, our weeks start at £280.00, we book the chalet as full at 10 people although it can take 12/13. We offere free transfers to/from Geneva and we have a sauna. See our ad in snowShops or go to our website www.tracksvacations.com for more details, we do give a snowheads discount and a discount for filling the chalet. BTW our chalet is in La Rosiere, probably the most snowsure resort in the alps.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cathy, jeepers creepers you went to the wrong resort for cheapness!!!!!

I cant really answere this thread without plugging my own chalet so i'm not going to!!!

but i will say that serre che is very cheapr for food and beer, esp in comparison to places like Les 2 alpes and Alpe d'huez
snow conditions
David@traxvax,

Quote:
La Rosiere, probably the most snowsure resort in the alps.

Would you not consider it an over-sell even it it is the French Alps?

Switzerland, Austria, Germany and Italy also have a piece of the Alps and the French may have a difficulty to come up top for the most snow sure.

La Rosiere does have a lot to offer, a nice place to be and is a rare resort one can ski two countries in the same day. It does have a good snow record but the snow can go very quickly as well.

I am of course speaking from the experience of accessing La Rosiere from the lowest chairlift at 1176m twice and seldom get a decent piste to ski back to this car park. Nevertheless the snow seems to disappear quicker than even for the main area of 1850m. Guess I must have been there at the wrong time in the 3 to 4 occasions. Strangely when the French side was lack of the snow the Italian side would have plenty or the other way round so I suppose overall it is still a good bet.
latest report
Our Easter tripcost me less than £500 for crossing, overnight b&b for 4 in both directions, and petrol.The accommodation in resort was free. I couldn't even add up what we spent over Christmas and New Year, as many of our expenses were involved with moving in to our apartment. My lift pass costs were much reduced though as I only got to ski a few days even though I was there for nearly 3 weeks.
snow report
Helen Beaumont,

What about the running cost you have to pay out each year for owning the place?
snow report
saikee, I haven't had any yet, as they are covered by the money I have received from renting it.
ski holidays
I budget about £600 a week all in (everything from the petrol for the car onwards), and that was over new year! Can get that down to about £500 at a push especially late deal or late jan bookings which are always cheap. aj xx
snow conditions
This year flights, transfers, chalet accommadation and lift pass for a shade over £400.00

Apart from my honeymoon trip to Lake Louise I always do it for under £500.00
snow report
New Year Thollon, but skiing PDS and nearby CH resorts - 5 adults, airfare and accommodation £600 total. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Car hire tesco vouchers Toofy Grin

Spending money, petrol and passes unkown, but probably under £1,000 for the 5 of us. Confused
ski holidays
It seems like most people drive, why is that?
snow conditions
Nick-o, Because most folks live in the South East of England
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I don't. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Apart from those who live up North (see other thread)
snow conditions
Nor does Saikee
snow report
Helen Beaumont, I think we have all to frequently thrashed out the various merits of driving to the Alps. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, so do I, i'll keep quiet. I tend to do both anyway.
latest report
Last trip to Schladming cost me £100 for the flight, £50 for transfer, £200 for accommodation, £120 for ski pass, £60 for ski hire and £200 for food/drink. That's £730. Blimey! I had no idea it was so much. But I did go solo and greedily had a whole apartment to myself.
snow conditions
Nick-o wrote:
It seems like most people drive, why is that?

If you're including me in that the petrol is only for the drive to the airport carpark Very Happy
ski holidays
Roughly a grand a week.
snow conditions
ajhainey, likewise.
snow report
Yep, budget for £1000 and anything less is a bonus.
ski holidays
I reckon £600 for absolutley everything this year
snow report
johnboy, save £10 and loads of room for the best value lunch around at Le Rascard in La Thuile.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman,

How do I save £10??
ski holidays
johnboy, Putting all your pennies in a jar is a good start
snow report
saikee, no, our experience is that we will have snow when other resorts do not, you can see instructors from Val d', Tignes, even the 3V's bringing thier clients to La Ros. Check out the Ski Club's historical snow records, last season we had a total snowfall of over 12 metres and there was still snow in the village in June. The N90 is usually closed from early Nov until about 10th June, this year there were 9metres of snow on the pass.
latest report
David@traxvax,

How come 9m of snow can gather on the pass. Is it to do with the geography of the area? Do any of the pistes have 9m?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy