Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Favorite Resort

Poster: A snowHead
Frosty the Snowman, astonishing,La Plagne is so expensive!!! Our Serre Che family pass is €535 for family of four, with up to two under 18's and 250km of pistes.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zermatt's my all time favourite. But it's not somewhere to go on a budget.

St Anton is also pretty special.

I have to agree that Val Thorens is pretty special for the skiing, although the resort isn't the prettiest, and if you're going to go then you may as well come to the EoSB. I much prefer it to Meribel though.

Les Deux Alpes is a resort, and has the benefit of a resident ski instructor.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another vote for Serre Che friendly good terrain for most standards reasonably priced and I don't mind tows except when they generate queues which are now very rare with the additional chairs put in. The only down side is the occasional dry spell but the northerly aspect means it holds its snow pretty well.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
well i vote for cairngorm for a good few reasons the main one been its only 20 miles away and unlike many larger resorts the skiing is never the same -some days are bloody crap and pardon my french f-ing crap but when its good its fantastic and during the week its never busy anymore and its like having your own private ski resort -magic.Good to see pelvoux getting a mention France is full of superb small resorts which are presently suffering from most brit skiers using tour operators taking them to the same dull mega resorts ie 3 valleys big isnt allways best these companies use you for their benefit not yours !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

despite being the crappest skier you will probably ever see on piste i've done nearly all the drags on ski's too.

They are very very easy!

Exactly, why do skiers have a problem with drag-lifts? I can understand that they're tricky for boarders as you have to unclip one foot and stand crooked with the pole at an uncomfortable angle but on skis you just have to keep your legs together - obviously, this is something that people struggle to do when on holiday.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ben wright, I dont find drags difficult but like the sociabilty of a chairlift and the rest it provides my osteoarthritic knees. I wouldn't ski for 5 minutes without a small rest for the knees. On a drag no rest is available but the bent knee stance must still be maintained. Give it another 15 years with your aching knee and you will appreciate this a bit more. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ben wright, I don't mind drags and actually miss them in bad weather, as you (usually) get more shelter than on a chairlift. However, some of the drags in Serre Che were really bad.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, I use a straight-legged stance on drag lifts. The pole isn't a problem as all the ones I've been on have a curve at the bottom with the button on the end of that.

Helen Beaumont, there are a couple over in La Foux that are guaranteed to haul you off the ground when you get on them. Quite fun as long as you know it's coming and have a good grip on the pole.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ben wright, I've had bruises where a lady should not have them from the Etoile drag above Monetier. Embarassed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ben wright, The heavier you are the bigger the jolt. I boke one in Reberty this year. It just dragged along the floor after I got off. A very strange feeling as you go to throw the buitton away and it falls on your skis.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, you'd better have lettuce for lunch today Very Happy

This also happened to one of our guests at Christmas last year. He was well-built but no fatty (not that I'm saying you are). I didn't see it but he said that he was trundling along happily when he realised he wasn't moving as quickly as the people in front of him. The springy bit inside the pole stretched out a fair way and, oddly, he decided to stay on. Eventually something snapped and he ended up with grease all over him. He skied back down holding the mangled mess and just dropped it in front of the lift operator.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whistler - amazing terrain and atmosphere - no queue pushing, great beer/food and all round snow heaven. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd probably go with Vaujany - access to the Alpe d'Huez system and easiest access to the best bits (Dome des Rousses and Pic Blanc). Very quiet lift providing this access. Rustic village with laid back atmosphere and decent facilities. If you have a car, easy access to La Grave or Les Deux Alpes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm with Frosty the Snowman, drags are much more of a pain if you are heavy - without the spring to soften the accelerationwhich tops out in the first 0.0002secs ime) they are incredibly mean and sometimes near impossible. Plus there are usually queues, I can't rest my knees, or more importantly my feet, and I don't get to chat to anyone, grab things from the shared bag etc etc. I do like the one in La plagne that keeps turning right angles though - most amusing!

I didn't like anything else about serre chevalier much either though so it's not just the drags - it's just not for me although I know it is widely recommended (so are most of the other places I don't like though) - it would be dull if everyone recommended the same places! aj xx
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ajhainey, 'I didn't like anything else about serre chevalier much either'. You're lucky, you don't have to live in this God foresaken hell hole! wink CD xx
ski holidays
chris, nor spend their holiday there, it's such an awful place. Why anyone goes i couldn't possibly imagine. Can't please some folk.
snow report
My favourite resort that I visited today was the Station du Lac Blanc, although the Col de Bagenelles was also impressive, but more because of the steep run the button lift went up... (see my trip report for pics of the Lac Blanc)
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
chris, nor spend their holiday there, it's such an awful place. Why anyone goes i couldn't possibly imagine.
me neither Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
Serre Che for me too - always found the drags a nice opportunity for some p & q and too look out for untried runs etc.
ski holidays
Quite a few votes for Serre Che!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy